Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Such a basic question

Options
  • 12-04-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I've always been on bill pay both for work and private & have never used pay as you go! A friend is coming to Ireland and I'd like to organise a phone for her while she's here. I have an old Nokia that I don't use anymore. Can I just get a sim card with a few euro on it stick it in the phone and she can then "pay as she goes"? Who do I go to to get the sim?

She'll just be here for 2 weeks - a few quick calls and texts most days I reckon.
    Are some providers better than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well if your friend is coming here your better off getting him/her the same network sim as calls for him/her wil be cheaper to you.

You can pick up the sim in carriers shop or in carphone warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah get PAYG sim from the same carrier as you as your old phone is probably locked to that network

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

... and while you're in their shop, get your old phone unlocked.

You'll need to write down the IMEI number (get this by typing *#0000# ), and bring it into the mobile phone operator's shop.

Once a bill-pay phone is out of contract, you're entitled to have it as a SIM-free handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

KrisW wrote: »
    You'll need to write down the IMEI number (get this by typing *#0000# ), and bring it into the mobile phone operator's shop.

Correction, its *#06#

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

@Axis: Yep, you're right - apologies for any confusion. *#0000# is the "show device info" code on Nokias.

• Advertisement
Advertisement