Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

companion planting raised bed

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi all,have raised bed this year for first time.Was wondering what plants work best together in a raised bed.My raised bed is 8x4 sectioned of into square foot sections.Have peas,lettuce,onions,spring onions,broccolli,strawberries,leeks so far,,had left some space for tomatoes but decided to buy a cheap lidl greenhouse this week for them and my chillis.
    So can anyone tell me if potatoes will work alongside strawberries and peas?Also if anyone can recommend any other stuff I can grow easily enough in the bed that will go with the above veg,I have a few free squares left over:) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Have one similar size with many of the same plants. Would not plant potatoes in it as they need a good bit of space and decided to plant them in a potato bag that I got in the two euro shop ! I got some spinach plants and they are growing quite well. I also planted some carrots and parsnips that I got in b and q (already rooted) and am interested to see how these go. Finally I have some mangetout and have some french beans germinating indoors at the moment and hope to plant them. I have also some lettuce seeds growing indoors for a sucession of lettuce. Great to see them growing at the moment and looking forward to enjoying them. Had to put a net over the raised bed as there are loads of cats around. Best of luck.

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

One thing I found last year had had confirmed by reseach this year is bulbing fnnel is best kept away from other plants.

Parsnips are slow to grow, so plant them carefully spaced, then between the seeds put in a radish, acts as a marker crop as well as being a handy catch crop.

When I put in parsnip seed it was 2 seeds every 15cm which willbe thinned out later, and between them a French breakfast radish.

Leek as well are slow growing, so if they have been germinated and put out, try a small cos lettuce between them.

Already posted about companion plants here on the forum and on the garden blog.

Advertisement