Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10 Ways to Pi** off a Photographer

• 12-04-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this on Photoshelter and had a laugh as some of them, I have had experience of quite a few of them. What do you think and anything else to add?

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/06/top-10-ways-to-piss-off-a-photographer.html

Top 10 Ways To Piss Off A Photographer
    (in no particular order)

1) Try 'clever' tricks to save money.
    Photographers have seen and heard just about every trick in the book, and you should realize this. You can expect to piss off a photographer if you treat them as if they haven't experienced a few of these money-saving tricks already.
    Don't say that an assignment will take 2 hours when you know it will realistically require a full day of work. Don't try to expand the assignment into something more when the photographer arrives on the scene, and expect them to bend over backwards to "help you out, just this once." (Read John Harrington's full reply, below, for some of his least favorite tricks.)

You should understand that a photographer is a small business owner, and they're not trying to use their own clever tricks to jack up their rates. They want a fair, respectable price. Be upfront and totally honest with them from the very beginning, and you'll find them much more willing to "help you out" in the end.

2) Don't understand what it's like in the real world.
    Most editors spend their working day in an office, dreaming up perfect situations and scenarios where everything goes exactly as planned. Most don't plan for the unexpected, and are surprised and upset when the pre-visualized images they promised to their bosses don't actually materialize.
    Instead, treat the photographer as a partner. Let them know that what you're asking for is just something intended to get you both on the same page, and you're not expecting miracles.
    Encourage them to think beyond the box, and deliver something even better. If you put a little faith in them as a partner, you'll often find they'll work harder for you to come up with something truly great. Something you can both be proud of.

3) Screw up the schedule.
    This is usually related to having little idea what it's like in the real world. Scheduling is very important to a photographer, especially when the photo editor is the person setting up the shooting appointment with the subjects.
    Don't assume, for example, that a photographer in Los Angeles can drive to San Francisco and back within 2 hours. In this case, take the extra step and go to Google Maps and figure out the driving times in advance.
    Be as clear with the photographer as possible with regard to the schedule. If you're unsure about something, or if there may be some waiting time once they arrive on the scene - let them know in advance. You should understand that they may have an assignment booked after yours. Letting them know that the schedule may change without notice will give them an opportunity to plan accordingly, and not screw up another assignment because yours ran late.

4) Expect unlimited use of an image, for free.
    Don't be outraged when a photographer sends you an invoice after you've used an image again. Don't assume that every image is Royalty-Free, even if the image was shot on assignment for you.
    When a photographer shoots an image, they are hoping to produce something good enough that it will be used in many places - that there will be a demand for the image. If you suspect that you will want to use an image over again, in different places, tell the photographer in advance and work out a deal. Don't just assume that you can use it, and then "deal with it later" if/when you're caught.

5) Be difficult to contact.
    This goes both ways - both photographers and photo editors should be easy to contact. Great communication between the parties means that you're working as partners, each available to the other as the assignment unfolds.
    Everyone knows the importance of this. If you expect people to be easy to contact, you should make yourself easy to contact as well.

6) Ask them to copy the style of another photographer.
    Most people who become photographers do so because it's a creative outlet. It allows them the freedom to express their own vision. Not understanding this very basic concept will piss off any photographer who has pride in their work.
    Treat a photographer as a person who has their own creative process - and it's the creative process that you're paying for.
    Don't treat a photographer like a robot with a camera. Showing them an image, and asking them to replicate it is considered an insult to most. Asking them to "shoot the same thing you did last time" could end up making them second-guess their own creative process.

7) Have a big ego.
    Let's face it, both photographers and photo editors can have a bit of an ego. They're both often sensitive about their work because, if they do their jobs right, they really put themselves into a project and it ends up becoming an intimate personal expression.
    When big egos collide, bad things can happen. Treating each other with respect, as an equal partner in the creative process, will yield better results in the end.
    Accept that fact that you actually need each other, and no person is more important, or has "more power" than the other.

8) Offer a photo credit as payment.
    Photographers will be easily pissed off when you offer a photo credit as if it has some kind of monetary value. They will be further pissed off if you insinuate that a photo credit in your highly respectable publication will help their career.
    You should understand that it costs a photographer time and money to produce the image that you want to use, and a photo credit can't be used to pay their bills. Offering a photo credit as a form of payment is an insult.

9) Use images without permission.
    If you don't have money to pay for the use of an image, don't just take the image and use it anyway - and deal with any potential fallout later. Contact the photographer in advance, and see if you can work something out.
    Using an image without permission is rude and offensive to most photographers.

10) Crop their photos to the point of obscurity.
    Photographers often spend a lot of mental energy composing an image, and brutal cropping hack-jobs can easily send a photographer into a pissy mood. This is like cutting the first 2 paragraphs out of a writer's story, and expecting the writer to be perfectly fine with it.
    Contact the photographer ahead of time, let them know the reasons why the image must be cropped this way, and have a discussion about it before its too late. It is insulting to see your image in print with the heart and soul cropped out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

say things like 'oh take a photo of that'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

After every photo is taken ask if they got your good side.

I said it once after getting an x-ray. most awkward 10 minutes of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

When people see an image you have taken and say you must have a nice camera. I generally try to use the culinary pots/knives metaphor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

sheesh wrote: »
    say things like 'oh take a photo of that'

- while tugging on your sleeve

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hey! That's my wife you're talking about... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

When people see an image you have taken and say you must have a nice camera. I generally try to use the culinary pots/knives metaphor :rolleyes:

Last week, some friends told me that they really liked the pictures I had taken. I told them I had a really nice camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Or, when people say "sure you can just email me a copy of that". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I just got one a few minutes back

Asking to fix another photogs shot. To make it worse when pointing out that you would need permission from the photographer to do it, but sure his name isnt even on it, ah its really bad, he wont know.

Oh, take a photo of me!
    Can I see it!?
    Oh, no, I don't like the way I look in that, can you take it again?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?

FFFUUUUUUUUUCKKK OFFF!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Oh, take a photo of me!
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?
    Can I see it!?

FFFUUUUUUUUUCKKK OFFF!!!!!

Shoot film :)
    Oh, take a photo of me!
    Can I see it!?

No.

-end of discussion-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can you come over here and take a photo using my disposable camera???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shoot film :)
    Oh, take a photo of me!
    Can I see it!?

No.

-end of discussion-
    always fun with children who cannot understand why the photo does not show up on the back of the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Zascar wrote: »
    Can you come over here and take a photo using my disposable camera???

Even worse when they insist on taking a photo of you and your other half in return, with your 2 grand camera, holding it with thumb and forefinger on both sides, while staring at a blank LCD and saying "cheese!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had finished a Horse show at 9pm and was rang at 9am to ask "why arent the pictures up on the web yet" they got a pretty swift answer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

ways to piss off the printer too

how much is a mount for this picture - "but its only a bit of cardboard!!!!!!!!!!!!"

answer its only a bit of cardboard being cut on my 15000 euro machine, and me spending time doing it!!!!!!!

how much is it to frame this - "but ikea do frames for tuppence hapenny"

well got to F***ing ikea then!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had finished a Horse show at 9pm and was rang at 9am to ask "why arent the pictures up on the web yet" they got a pretty swift answer :)
    was this the one in thornton park last friday? apparently i just missed bumping into you; i was going to find myself in yet another situation where i would have had to introduce myself to a stranger as magicbastarder.

stcstc wrote: »
    how much is it to frame this - "but ikea do frames for tuppence hapenny"
    ikea frames are piss poor; bring back habitat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭phog

A few years back I went into Limerick to take a few pictures of the St. Patrick's Day parade or the Band Parade, I got in there in loads of time to get a "good spot". Just as the whole this was about to start, a photographer in a bib arrived inside the closed off area and stood right in front, I tipped her on the shoulder and asked can you move along so that I can get a few shots, her reply was they were asked to take certain spots along the route to capture the parade, too late for me to get another spot, was I mightly pissed off :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

was this the one in thornton park last friday? apparently i just missed bumping into you; i was going to find myself in yet another situation where i would have had to introduce myself to a stranger as magicbastarder.

Nah different show, thats a pity missing you. Great introduction too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Promac wrote: »
    Even worse when they insist on taking a photo of you and your other half in return, with your 2 grand camera, holding it with thumb and forefinger on both sides, while staring at a blank LCD and saying "cheese!"

....thats already set up to back-button autofocus ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Haha, last night at a party a fella says to me, here I saw you taking pics there with no flash (was taking pics of birthday boys daughter singing) was your camera not working? I said no I didnt use the flash there for that and he says to me, what is yoru camera REALLY that good?

I said no, Im that good hahahahahaha:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Number three, the scheduling one, is most common. It happens so much that it dosn't really bother me any more, really.....:mad:. I have, on more than one occasion, got the car packed up with gear, kitchen sink 'n' all, to do a family shoot just to get a text message half an hour before shoot that they want to reschedule.

Tonight I was lucky though. I just got a text message canceling for tomorrow morning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

lol great list. Arriving early to get ready is another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

lol

Advertisement