Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st bernard and sharpei fighting !

• 12-04-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

hey guys Im looking to buy a new dog I already have a sharpei and hes 7 years old I want to get a second dog now as my guy does not have long left :( and I want the new dog to pick up some of his traits, so today I came across the most beautiful st bernard, it was a female 18month old so I decided to take my guy to see her just to see how they got on. I opened the car door and held my guys collar as the owner held the st bernards collar they sniffed each other for a bit and then went to attack (no growling though) just a small nip. as soon as that happened I was put off as would never take on a dog that would attack my sharpei, my question is have I made the wrong decision will they eventually get on ? a friend has suggested putting a mussle on the st bernard for the first few days until they get used to each other and im just thinking if they dont like each other they will never get on ? Id really appreciate some help as this dog will be sold soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why is the owner looking to get rid of the saint bernard? Have you asked them? Maybe its aggressive with other dogs.

I dont think id be too quick to take on someone elses dog not knowing its history first.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

andreac wrote: »
    Why is the owner looking to get rid of the saint bernard? Have you asked them? Maybe its aggressive with other dogs.

I dont think id be too quick to take on someone elses dog not knowing its history first.

hey andreac thanks for the advice yet again, basically I wanted a pup but saw this one on done deal she is 18month old and the couple that own him just cant look after her as they have 5 kids also, they said that they could not keep up with the grooming or cleaning the garden after her, from what I saw of the dog she was very obedient but also very energetic and playful, I would prefer a pup but I feel that this dog is in need of a good home and Id feel guilty knowing I could provide it that and did not because it was a few month old, maybe thats just me being silly lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

superfish wrote: »
    hey guys Im looking to buy a new dog I already have a sharpei and hes 7 years old I want to get a second dog now as my guy does not have long left :( and I want the new dog to pick up some of his traits, so today I came across the most beautiful st bernard, it was a female 18month old so I decided to take my guy to see her just to see how they got on. I opened the car door and held my guys collar as the owner held the st bernards collar they sniffed each other for a bit and then went to attack (no growling though) just a small nip. as soon as that happened I was put off as would never take on a dog that would attack my sharpei, my question is have I made the wrong decision will they eventually get on ? a friend has suggested putting a mussle on the st bernard for the first few days until they get used to each other and im just thinking if they dont like each other they will never get on ? Id really appreciate some help as this dog will be sold soon
    when my to meet for the first time i made sure it was on neutral ground and brought them for about a 2 hr walk with me walking my dog and friend walking the new one they did no get on well at the start at all but slowly they became best of pals if i was you i would try take the st b on a trial period to see how things go but make sure their next meet is neutral and on short leads
    hope it works out for ya;) i would love a st b

also anytimei hear dog followed by done deal alarm bells go off:mad:

pokertalk wrote: »
    when my to meet for the first time i made sure it was on neutral ground and brought them for about a 2 hr walk with me walking my dog and friend walking the new one they did no get on well at the start at all but slowly they became best of pals if i was you i would try take the st b on a trial period to see how things go but make sure their next meet is neutral and on short leads
    hope it works out for ya;) i would love a st b
    some one has suggested the same thing and said the st bernard attacked because my dog was on her territory
    pokertalk wrote: »
    also anytimei hear dog followed by done deal alarm bells go off:mad:
    lol they seemed like a decent couple nice car and beautiful house did not strike me as the type to be selling dodgy goods lol :D

• Advertisement

they will work it our just give it time they always do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Superfish if your Shar Pei doesn't have long left, i'd be more inclined to let him enjoy the rest of his life as peacefully and stressfree as possible.

The good traits that your Shar Pei has are more than likely down to the great training and handling that you have provided (and if not, then its down to his inherrited characteristics that obviously won't brush off on another dog) so I would say enjoy the time you have left with your fella, and when he does pass, see how you feel, and if you still want to get a St. Bernard keep an eye on the rescue sites and see what comes up - maybe ask around and see if their are any St. Bernard rescues out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please stay away from done deal when looking for a dog. There are so many dodgy people on that site and can tell you stories or anything to make you take their dog so please dont be fooled by all the nice talk and other stuff they tell you.

There is usually a reason for them rehoming their dog and its not always what they tell you.
    Ive heard of people taking dogs from donedeal and finding out after they are aggressive with people etc when the previous owner told them they were emigrating etc so please be very wary or anyone rehoming older dogs on that site.
    I would suggest you go to a proper rescue and not done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Superfish if your Shar Pei doesn't have long left, i'd be more inclined to let him enjoy the rest of his life as peacefully and stressfree as possible.

The good traits that your Shar Pei has are more than likely down to the great training and handling that you have provided (and if not, then its down to his inherrited characteristics that obviously won't brush off on another dog) so I would say enjoy the time you have left with your fella, and when he does pass, see how you feel, and if you still want to get a St. Bernard keep an eye on the rescue sites and see what comes up - maybe ask around and see if their are any St. Bernard rescues out there?

Introducing a new dog into the house can be very stressful for the resident dog, no matter their age. For an older dog it might be especially so.

I'm sure your sharpei is a wonderful dog, down to the life you've given him. Your new dog will have all fabulous traits of his or her own. Part of the fun will be discovering those traits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

was it an attack or a small nip....not sure i am reading you well there?

The method of introduction was not the best Superfish. it should always be on neutral territory I think.
    we have a very dog agressive GSD when we decided we were rehoming another one. We introduced the two dogs on neutral ground and the first thing that happened was our one grabbed the neck of the other:eek:. so I took one in each hand and walked and walked. Got home and left the 2 of them off after a while and they had a great time together and have been best of buddies since, years later.
    point is i think the intro is very important and to put some time and thought into it.

Saying that if your Sharpei is sick or something maybe another dog right now is not the best plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

from what i know about shar pei, jesus dont get me wrong not going on about breeds here, and also your guys age would it be fair to upset him and bring another dog into the household?
    the few shar peis i know are very aloof and while can live with other dogs have found its not great to bring another one in when they are older. also cause of his age and you saying he aint got much longer while not wait for what ever time he has left. poor guy im sure no matter how good he or any other dogs is, he prob does not need this upheavel at his age.
    myself if it was my dog i would leave him for what ever time and let him carry on been the only dog enjoying all the attention.

Thank you everyone for all the help and I have decided you are all right in that its just not fair to bring another dog into my home whilst I have my guy here as he is too old now and he has never lived with another dog before, I must admit I spoil him rotten and I think thats why he wont take to other dogs even when we are out walking he has no interest in other dogs, about 3 years ago he was diagnosed with amyloidosis and the vet gave me tablets to give to him and told me he had only 6 month left in him, the tablets made him very sick so I decided to take him off them as I thought, yes the tablets may prolong his life but whats the point if he is too sick to enjoy it, anyway its three years later now and hes absolutely fine and still as playful as a pup, I guess I was being selfish in looking for another dog as it was more intended to ease the pain of losing him, I thank god for every day I wake up and hes still here

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I think your making the right decision there Superfish. Your better off leaving him have a happy peaceful life, how ever long he may have left. I hope he will continue to have good health for another while yet.

Advertisement