Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on plants please

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Im looking for advice for plants/shrubs etc for my back garden. It is a well shaded garden from about 2pm each day and i'd love some nice colour. Don't want to buy anything yet encase it dies. All I have is a Cala lilly which looks lost on its own.
    Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

marion.t wrote: »
    Im looking for advice for plants/shrubs etc for my back garden. It is a well shaded garden from about 2pm each day and i'd love some nice colour. Don't want to buy anything yet encase it dies. All I have is a Cala lilly which looks lost on its own.
    Thanks in advance :D

Some Hostas and Ferns might suit..
    post some photos of site

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Bridal Wreath (Spirea 'Arguta) is a gorgeous shrub and reasonably priced. Also look for Ceanothus Thyrsiflorus Var. Repens. I love both of these shrubs. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3yJShwBKu6s2iIWx1sIDrmtQ4JJa1TaFLNq31rWRNJD8DJYxg-Q
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP-Bn9eMa-Sp54piF_MKKAgj3DZvyQD6FtjbkHpfO6mMCbtdyq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Impatiens (Busy Lizzy) do well in shade/ half-shade. B&Q are doing large packs of young plants for next to nothing right now. Will give you lovely colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Hiya,

Here is what I have in shady areas and they work quite well: I have found the arum and calla lillies do much better in sunshine than in shade.
    • Phormiums (I have a phormium Bronze Baby and it is thriving in a totally shady spot) They are large grasses. I also find the red/rust colour works well in terms of giving a contrasting colour
    • evergreen shrub Camellias - giving lovely flowers in spring. They need acidic soil but if you use ericaceous compost when you plant it and feed them regularly they do fine
    • Dicentra Spectabilis (Bleeding Heart) - thrives totally in shade
    • Acers/Japanese maples
    • Shrubs: Pieris, viburnum, hebe
    • perennials like: Ajuga, Astilbe, foxgloves, japanese anemones (flowering in autumn)
    • annuals: poppies seem to grow absolutely anywehere but you will have many more flowers on them if they are in sunshine
    • bulbs: cyclamen, trycartis (Toad lily), alliums, daffs, snowdrops
    I have found some things really don't like shade and just die and end up to be expensive mistakes: summer flowering plants like rudbeckia, peonies, hydrangea (except the climing one) lavendar

Best of luck!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

So do Camellias prefer shade? I have one in full sun a few years. Gets lots of flowers but they rot pretty quick on the branch. Could that be the reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

In my experience they do but the y also need a good feed of sulphate of iron after flowering.

The Bbc website has a really good plant finder tool on it: put in your soil type/sun etc and comes up with lists and photos of the plants that will suit those conditions.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/

The only problem i then find is finding the plants!

Advertisement