Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canon 70-200 f4 or sigma 70-200 f2.8

• 12-04-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey just wondering which would be better im into landscape and wildlife the odd portrait

thanks si

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have the canon 70-200 f/2.8, which I got primarily for sport. I haven't used the 2 lenses you mention but the only reason I paid a premium for the 2.8 was to get the extra stop of shutter speed. If I was doing mainly landscapes and portraits I would have gone for the f/4 (cheaper, lighter, probably sharper) and would have augmented that with the 50 f/1.4 or the 85mm f/1.8 for portraits.

IMO with the f/4 & a wide aperture prime combo you would have more flexibility for the type of photography you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Canon f4 is so sharp and much lighter for carrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

any probs shooting indoors with the canon or at dawn

*awaits Pete* :P

I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and it seems to be a fine lens. I've only had issues when taking portraits at 2.8 as the majority are out of focus, but I'm fairly sure that's my own fault and not that of the lens. I had measuring tapes out and everything. It seems fine.

Despite it's theoretically awkward focal lenght (useless for anything up close) it's become my primary lens of choice these days and I bring it practically everywhere with me. It is heavy and large, but you get used to that easy enough.

Pete4130 on here hates it though, after getting a 'bad' copy of it in the past apparently. Have never used a Canon f/4 so can't comment on it. Would rather the additional light than a "sharper" lens, though, I think.

sikahunter wrote: »
    any probs shooting indoors with the canon or at dawn

f/2.8 isn't great indoor - here is an example of what I mean.

IMG_3115.JPG

I shot this with a 50mm f/1.4, In a well lit church, canon 40D, 1/60, f/1.6,ISO 400, 50mm.

Here is what would've happened if I had used the zoom:
    f/2.8 is 2 stops slower than f/1.6 (approx).

And, for me, I would have to shoot at 1/120, b/c of using 70mm instead of 50mm, and also the heavier lens makes it shakier.

So, If I was using the 70-200 for this I would be at

1/125, f/2.8, ISO 3200....My camera will do ISO 3200, but not very well, whereas results at ISO 100-400 are good.

Sometimes I do use the zoom indoors, If so I use a monopod, for a typical exposure of

1/30s, f/2.8, ISO800.

This gives me a hit rate of about 60-75%, depending on focal length.

I have the non-IS version of the lens so can't comment on how well that would work at these low shutter speeds.

-Foxt

• Advertisement

PS - shooting at dawn. - I assume you'll be using a tripod , so you would be fine with either the f/4 or the 2.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Get the Canon, don't risk spending all the money and taking a chance on a bad copy. It's cheaper for a reason.

Advertisement