Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboard trucks and wheels (Cheap DIY)

• 12-04-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Had been meaning to build a longboard for the past couple of years and finally got around to it in the last couple of days. Have a double ply deck with contour shaped and had a look around for trucks and wheels in cork and online (wreckless) - was a little shocked by the price; talking €50 min for trucks and €40ish for wheels :eek:

Would i be better off waiting for a complete board to come up second hand or splash out on the bits keeping in mind i can use these them on future projects (when the current deck inevitably splits or snaps)? Anyone any experience in DIY? Just looking for something for cruising and gentle downhill, to start with :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Yeah, trucks & wheels are expensive enough, even more so when you add in bushings/bearings/mounting hardware and of course grip tape.

I picked up my 1st board 2nd hand for €50 and that had holeys and decent wheels which I still use, so keep an eye out for 2nd hand boards for sale with decent parts, you could get lucky. On the other hand, trucks/wheels can be easily swapped to new decks so it's not a waste of money.

As for building the deck, what did you use? Baltic Birch in a home made press? Any pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

its always cheape to buy a complete than build a board e.g Plan B skatebaords are €130 complete but if you wanted to build one from all the top manufacturers, say about €180 upwards. theres a ceramic bearing alone for €120 a set of 8.

bmx also, comp for about 350 decent quality. build one of the best parts, may a grand?

we just gots some new comps in. over on our site now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

wreckless wrote: »
    theres a ceramic bearing alone for €120 a set of 8.

Bones Ceramics?
    I've always wanted to try these out, never had that much to splash out on them though. Haha

I'll be getting a long board soon though, might just threat myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

Yeah, trucks & wheels are expensive enough, even more so when you add in bushings/bearings/mounting hardware and of course grip tape.

I picked up my 1st board 2nd hand for €50 and that had holeys and decent wheels which I still use, so keep an eye out for 2nd hand boards for sale with decent parts, you could get lucky. On the other hand, trucks/wheels can be easily swapped to new decks so it's not a waste of money.

As for building the deck, what did you use? Baltic Birch in a home made press? Any pictures?

Absolutely NO chance of getting any pictures of it :P botched one side of it with the jigsaw - the other side will be good for future templates though :D As for what wood was used i have no idea 2 x 6mm and contemplating glassing it for strength - used a sh*t load of cramps, plenty of messy wood glue and improvised with weights, plant pots and a beer keg to get the right contour (trial and error i'm sure should i ever get it roadworthy).

Cheers for the responses - been tempted by the new mindless boards on wreckless. Need to sell a few boards before i buy anything - have my eye on a custom surfboard too. Decisions decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jose21

hi longboard peeps...........ive been really obsessing over taking up longboarding just cause ive been playin around with my friends board around phoenix park and late night parking lot sesh..............and im currently saving up to buy a board....so i was just wonderin if any of yous are or know anyone selling their boards for a reasonable price (around 100 euros more or less, hopefully less :P..a good enough board for a begginer anyways... perfect for downhill/cruising) please get in touch with me...

also if you have loads of free time and would love to teach me the ropes of longboarding...like what decks/trucks/wheels are perfect for what...i would very much appreciate it....

i know im askin alot but im really really determined to get a board asap...so if you could help me out !!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement