Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan's new €89.5k sculpture

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a bit of contraversary about the new €89.5k sculpture.
    The sculpture of two men holding back a bull sculpted by Colin Grehan of Galway at a cost of €89,408 to Meath co co has apparently upset 4,500 locals because they want the statue moved as they say "you are greeted by the bulls arse" as you enter via Timmons Hill.
    The sculpture is one of two set for navan with the second to cost €65k as part of sculpture trail.
    Personally I welcome the statue and think its a beautiful piece that puts a cap on all the work that has been completed in Navan to transform it to what it is now.
    What do you think? Anyone know when the official unveiling is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What a pile of shyte.

It looks like two men are molesting the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I drove by it before they stuck the ply around it and must say the bull looked the part, also would like to add that some people seem to think it's bronze or brass, it's done in limestone.

That said I don't think there was any need to rip up all the perfectly good cobble lock paths and replace them with granite, and as for that Paddy Pryle ass wipe mouthing about meeting the bulls hole, tell him to fcuk off back to Skryne where he came from..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Is the statue built yet? I read about this in the paper the other day, and am looking forward to seeing it. Whereabouts in Navan will it be?

On a statue note, I love the new one facing the shopping centre and near the front of Supermacs (The wobbly armed roundy headed woman scultpure, but it probably has a more romantic name than that).
    Its nice to see these pieces appearing around the place, and makes the area much more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

bryaner wrote: »
    I drove by it before they stuck the ply around it and must say the bull looked the part, also would like to add that some people seem to think it's bronze or brass, it's done in limestone.

That said I don't think there was any need to rip up all the perfectly good cobble lock paths and replace them with granite, and as for that Paddy Pryle ass wipe mouthing about meeting the bulls hole, tell him to fcuk off back to Skryne where he came from..

HERE HERE can we keep his daughter tho i hear shes fond of the bull :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

All you have to do is look at the crater that is now the Navan Trim road and you can see where this money should have gone instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 sideofbacon

I blame Dempsey,he should have fixed that crater before he was ubducted by aliens:eek:.Leave the bull alone,he's related to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

I blame Dempsey,he should have fixed that crater before he was ubducted by aliens:eek:.Leave the bull alone,he's related to me!

I know what your talking about sideofbacon,i was out milking daisy one night and next thing i seen the minister dazed and confused and naked as the day he was brought into this world from his mothers M3,wandering around my field al i could do is walk back into my house sit down think about it and shout "THE MINISTER WAS IN THE NIP"

was something simliar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT0dykSk0E

GO ON THE BULL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭TheBigKahuna

It's just more money being wasted on making a Navan "pretty" and "cultured". The fact of the matter is, Meath County Council are just obsessed with spending money on frivolities rather than investing in the county's future. The Bull, The Supermacs statue, Dunnes Store car park, the flowers in the roundabout - it's all very pretty but if you bust a wheel open in a pothole on the Trim road, no amount of pretty sculpture is going to help you. Besides, you can't polish a turd.

And just to add - why do the town council insist on putting massive shrubs in the middle of every roundabout to impede visiblilty? Oh yes, and putting signposts exactly inoyur eyeline as you approach them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Another nice waste of cash. Tho only use it will have is probably removing a few idiots from the gene pool after they fall off it after a night out on the town.

As for the trim road try coming up flowerhill and turning past foxes pub. It's a joke.

How about this: The council should be able to ring fence all the money from car tax and VAT from car sales for the upkeep of our roads (I know it probably, currently all goes into the national budget but take the percentages) and then they can ring fence all the money they make from from VAT on Art sales for these projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

its no statue of Robo Cop, but i guess it will do

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »

I hope you realise that Paddy Pryle was only on the wind-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I heard on the radio that this is not even an original piece, the sculptor sold an identical one (identical design - different in scale) to another town. Anyone confirm if that is true ?

Morlar wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that this is not even an original piece, the sculptor sold an identical one (identical design - different in scale) to another town. Anyone confirm if that is true ?
    There is one in Nenagh too apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If all fairness, roads around the town in bits and council spend 90k on this ****e.

Im going pulling it down with the jeep... anyone with me?

Access wrote: »
    If all fairness, roads around the town in bits and council spend 90k on this ****e.

Can we grind it up and use it to fill in potholes?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Do you know how much road 90k would fix??
    About the length of a 40' lorry.
    90 grand might sound like alot of money to us but in terms of county councils and government spending it's not alot at all.

90 grand might sound like alot of money to us but in terms of county councils and government spending it's not alot at all.
    Better spent all the same.

Oooooooohhhhhhh! somebody is touchy today! :D

I do realise that 90k would not do much to improve the roads, but anything would be better than spending 90k on a sculpture that a lot of people dont want in the first place.

90k would keep the likes of the navan meals on wheels running for the year or the likes of meath youth fed cafe open for three years!

point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Sorry:o I didn't mean it like that.
    It's all a load of bull anyway:eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I hope you realise that Paddy Pryle was only on the wind-up?

Yes I realise that Paddy Pryle would say anything to get his ugly <mod snip> mug in the paper..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mango2

It's just more money being wasted on making a Navan "pretty" and "cultured". The fact of the matter is, Meath County Council are just obsessed with spending money on frivolities rather than investing in the county's future. The Bull, The Supermacs statue, Dunnes Store car park, the flowers in the roundabout - it's all very pretty but if you bust a wheel open in a pothole on the Trim road, no amount of pretty sculpture is going to help you. Besides, you can't polish a turd.

And just to add - why do the town council insist on putting massive shrubs in the middle of every roundabout to impede visiblilty? Oh yes, and putting signposts exactly inoyur eyeline as you approach them too?

agree, waste of time and money, still in the box and i think its the offical opening tomorrow night, prob with roads been closed, ect. It will be nice for the drunks coming out of the local clubs on a weekend.

ITS OUT!

And jesus is the bulls arse huge! - laughed my hole off driving up the hill by meath chron. today.

nice seating area around it, but that statue is a WASTE OF MONEY!

ITS OUT!

And jesus is the bulls arse huge! - laughed my hole off driving up the hill by meath chron. today.

nice seating area around it, but that statue is a WASTE OF MONEY!

heh heh heh. Me too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

do it on Sunday will ya I want to take my profile picture beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Passed by it yesturday and lo and behold it seemed to have been surrounded by 'undesireables'!! Excellent seating for them on such a sunny day;)

Advertisement