Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an amplifier to output both Stereo and Mono simultaneously?, OR just Mono?

• 12-04-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've already posted a similar question on the richersounds.ie forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056230680
    ... but was wondering if I might get some advice here.

I'm trying to locate an amplifier to power 4 ceiling speakers for background music in our kitchen/dining room/sunroom extension.

The wiring (which has unfortunately already been pre-wired) is one single cable, with 2 "cores" to each speaker. Two of them are close together over the dining room table, and the other two are isolated from each other in each of the kitchen and sunroom.
    I understand that L and R stereo requires 4 cores - two for the L signal, and 2 for the R signal.

I'm hoping to find a setup to send L and R to the pair of speakers over the dining room table, and send the same music simultaneously to the other two isolated speakers in mono format (they have just 2-cores going to them). By mono, I mean a full music signal including all instruments at the correct volume - not half of the stereo signal.

Is this possible ?
    - Is there a gadget to convert 4 speaker wires intended for a pair or stereo speakers into one pair of wires containing a combined signal without the stereo effect ?
    - Is there an AMP suitable to handle all this out-of-the-box ? OR would two AMPs working together in some way achieve it ?
    - As a fallback, is there an AMP suitable to send a MONO signal to all the speakers ?

best regards & thanks,
    Aidan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

I'm not sure if i understood correctly but you have a 4 speakers (each of them supplied with 2 cables so it gives you 8 cables somewhere at the end) ? then all you need is to either buy "2 zone" amp (2x stereo) or join speaker cables before amp (but it takes to know what is speakers impedance and spec of your amp).

Each speaker requires 2 cables to play and it takes 2 speakers to play stereo.
    So to play stereo you will need at least 2 speakers and 4 cables (well ground may be common then 3 cables 2x "+" for each speaker and "-" common for both).

Not quite sure what you mean by: "the other two isolated speakers in mono format (they have just 2-cores going to them)"

2 cables (2 cores) to 2 speakers or 2 cables 2 cores each for 2 speakers.

If you have 6 cables in total (4 for stereo (2x2)+2 for mono (1x2)) then you can only play "half stereo" on last pair. (some amps has a "mono" input mode so only left (AFAIK) signal would be used to supply speakers (so it would play :"tripple mono").

many of different ways available.

can you state exactly how many cores you have in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 windowgobo

at the back of the amp there will be probably have red and white RCA cable all you have to do is cross the two positive wires to create a mono signal. then you will need a second amp for the stereo. it would be easier to have it all mono. what amp are you using?

Advertisement