Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bee keeping

• 12-04-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting into beekeeping and wondering if anyone knows where i should go to get suit / equipment in the dublin area?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Moved from Nature and Birdwatching to Animals & Pets. Feel free to send back or move on.

There are a couple of threads from past year that may be worth reading
    Here

and here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

First off I would advise you to do the beginners course, there's a lot more to beekeeping then just getting a hive.

It's too late this season but Dublin Beekeepers Association run a 10 week beginners course from the start of January. Book your place early as the last few courses have been over subscribed.

They also supply bees but generally only to people who have completed the course.

We got our hive from Beehive Supplies. They do a starter kit complete with hive, tools, frames, foundation and suit. I think they are based in Meath but will also deliver.

Roosky beekeeping also do hives etc but also can supply bees. You could be too late to get your name on the list for bees as the demand from beginners combined with the recent bad winters has led to a huge increase in people wanting bees.

Also of note for supplying hives and tools is Thorne Beekeeping in the UK.

Best of luck with you bees if you do go for it, I would strongly advise doing the course though. It will not only give you confidence with your bees but also provide you with a support network should anything go awry.

Advertisement