Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FibreMAX from nova networks - any experience?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    I'm thinking of switching from Eircom to Nova Networks. I'm in Jacobs Island and Nova is just advertising their offer here.

Eircom I have just been upgraded to their NGB, which aparently has no speed limit and no contation. So my speedtest was showing 2.6Mbps and it is now 4.4Mbps. I still get some servic einterruptions and you can definitely see delay when gaming online.
    1249280273.png

Nova for less than 50 Euro is offering 10M download.

Anyone have this service from nova networks?
    Does speed gets affected by weather?
    How good are pings for gaming?

Thanks,
    W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

I have 3meg line from nova, not a single problem with my ps3 online...........never had any issues with the service unlike eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Where did you see the 50 for 10mb thats good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wiciu.o

It's actually 45.99 for 10M and it is exclusive for this area :)
    Free instalation.

wiciu.o wrote: »
    It's actually 45.99 for 10M and it is exclusive for this area :)
    Free instalation.

Thats a great deal

I realize it's a good offer, but I'm trying to find out what is quality of service they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Novanetworks rocks - definitely they are more expensive but you get what you pay for - in fact this was my review from ratemyisp.ie:

Been with them a long time now – customer service is first rate, in the unlikely event of a problem you may even get the managing director coming out to check things out, as was my experience. Responses to emails etc. are generally at most 3-4 hours if emailed at a reasonable time, and the speed you are paying for is as advertised. They are certainly more expensive than Eircom and UPC in terms of a direct comparison, but I suppose its a case of you get what you pay for – they have the lowest contention ratio of the bunch as far as I know, you do not need a phone line so no line rental (they now actually provide phone service too which I barely use but then again it only costs me what I use), it will only go down once in a blue moon, and great customer service. Big thumbs up overall.

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/nova-networks-2/

Now to be fair Novanetworks ran a comp on their facebook offering a voucher at random to any existing customer who reviewed just so you know, but my spiel honestly sums up my experience with them.

I also sent you a pm re a small proposition! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I agree with what Tommy says. Everything he says also applies to me (I have the wirelss system, we don't have a fibre network here.) I've been with them about four or five years now. They'll go down the odd time, but they get it sorted ASAP. Any problems and you're on to Dave, who is the owner I think. And he sorts things out as fast as possible. I'll give you an example;

The day before the day before Christmas Eve, so December 22nd and our broadband went down. Rang up Dave after about an hour because it didn't come back up. I told him what I had checked myself and he went from there. No "Are you sitting at your computer, please restart your computer, etc.." He esatablished the problem within five minutes (the power block to the wireless receiver was damaged.) He told us the problem, then the next day, despite them closing for Christmas, he dropped the replacement part up to somewhere in the city that was convenient for us all. We picked it up, and we were sorted.

If that had been Eircom we'd have been on the phone to them waiting an hour for a customer service rep (if they were even open that close to Christmas.) Another hour bull****ting around with the computer. Them not being able to figure anything out. A wait of three weeks until after Christmas to send an engineer out. Another wait after he diagnoses the problem to get the spare part. Then another visit to install it.

It also feels good to support a small local business for not much more than the big guys (a few quid.) And you get really great customer service in return.

Edit: I see you said you're an online gamer, my ping to Irish servers has been around 30ms, British and European servers between 50 and 80ms at worst and American at around 120ms at worst. So grand for everything including FPSes. And for one server I was getting a terrible ping to no matter the day, they sorted out the routing tables to work better for me.(That was when I first joined them.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Buceph wrote: »
    I agree with what Tommy says. Everything he says also applies to me (I have the wirelss system, we don't have a fibre network here.) I've been with them about four or five years now. They'll go down the odd time, but they get it sorted ASAP. Any problems and you're on to Dave, who is the owner I think. And he sorts things out as fast as possible. I'll give you an example;

The day before the day before Christmas Eve, so December 22nd and our broadband went down. Rang up Dave after about an hour because it didn't come back up. I told him what I had checked myself and he went from there. No "Are you sitting at your computer, please restart your computer, etc.." He esatablished the problem within five minutes (the power block to the wireless receiver was damaged.) He told us the problem, then the next day, despite them closing for Christmas, he dropped the replacement part up to somewhere in the city that was convenient for us all. We picked it up, and we were sorted.

If that had been Eircom we'd have been on the phone to them waiting an hour for a customer service rep (if they were even open that close to Christmas.) Another hour bull****ting around with the computer. Them not being able to figure anything out. A wait of three weeks until after Christmas to send an engineer out. Another wait after he diagnoses the problem to get the spare part. Then another visit to install it.

It also feels good to support a small local business for not much more than the big guys (a few quid.) And you get really great customer service in return.

Edit: I see you said you're an online gamer, my ping to Irish servers has been around 30ms, British and European servers between 50 and 80ms at worst and American at around 120ms at worst. So grand for everything including FPSes. And for one server I was getting a terrible ping to no matter the day, they sorted out the routing tables to work better for me.(That was when I first joined them.)

Yup, Dave is - well except there are like 4 Daves, some of who are tecnhicians and service! Yeah I had a problem with ping before, they made a minor change (way back when I joined) and sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was with Nova for quite a while (~ 5 yrs) until last year (wireless service). Initially (first 6 months or so), they were absolutely appalling, with poor service and worse customer service, and I nearly ended up going legal with them. However, fair's fair: after that they improved markedly and I rarely had a problem with the service. I was on the 3M service which, unlike other providers, actually WAS a 3M service. Currently with Vodafone DSL but will likely change back to Nova when my contract is up if I get a good deal. They can be open to haggling on price too BTW, but perhaps not on the OP's deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'll echo the positive feedback, Excellent service and sort out the rare issues as the arise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

100GB cap on the top tier home package is a bit stingy to be fair, i might consider them if they brought their caps in line with vodafone and eircom 300GB/250GB

BArra wrote: »
    100GB cap on the top tier home package is a bit stingy to be fair, i might consider them if they brought their caps in line with vodafone and eircom 300GB/250GB

Valid point

And just to make people aware Nova WILL and DO throttle to 256 kb speeds.

Untill the beginning of the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

dave1982 wrote: »
    Valid point

Really? I've gone over the 100gb a few times and have never been throttled.

Edit: At least I think I've gone over the 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

dave1982 wrote: »
    Valid point

Never happened to me?

Has happened to me i left them because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Where do Nova Networks supply Fibre Broadband to?
    I cant find anything on their site

I ask them about fibre part of their offer. This is what they say:
    "Our service is brought by fibre to our base stations, it is then received by your building by a wireless receiver on the top of the building, it is then fed by CAT 5 to each apartment in the building"
    This offer is only specific to Jacobs Island that is why they don'y put anything on their website. But send them email and ask, they reply very quickly and fully answer all questions.

Advertisement