Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axa Travel Insurance

Options
  • 13-04-2011 12:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I purchased Axa travel insurance for one year last summer and after a recent trip to Thailand I have had to make a claim off the policy. I had some cash stolen and also a medical bill.

I bought their Platinum policy over the phone last year and took it out for four of us who were travelling to Australia at the time. I was told by the sales agent that this was a great insurance policy and covered valuables, cash and personal belongings aswell as all the usual medical, delayed flights etc.

When I was in Bangkok I rang home Ireland to report the theft and inform the insurance company, the agent assured me it was ok and told me to get a police report which I had got already.

When I got home I filled in all the necessary paperwork and was informed yesterday that they are denying my claim and stated my policy does not cover me for this. I am very angry as I was assured everything like this was covered when I bought the insurance and doubly re-assured when I rang Axa-Assistance to report the crime. I have heard nothing yet in relation to the medical claim but they should pay that out as the paid for a US hospital visit last year.

I am so angry and am going to contact them again tomorrow to try and get somewhere on the issue.

Any idea where I stand on the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Whatever was said on the phone I expect they sent you a policy document. That document will describe the cover provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yep, check the policy document to see what is and is not covered. Even if cash is covered, there are normally a dozen ways for them to get out of it.

I had to make a similar claim a few years ago, and to claim for cash you needed receipts (for money!), which luckily I had kept when I bought the dollars in the bank. If it had been taken out of a machine and I hadn't got a receipt then they wouldn't have covered the claim. There are always clauses to be aware of, and you should always check the policy document before buying a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Hi, if you disagree with their decision you should write to the Insurance company advising that you wish to make a complaint and setting out your case. On receipt of this letter, the Insurance company will have to acknowledge receipt of your letter within 5 business days and will include details of their complaint procedure. They will then have a further 21 business days to investigate your complaint and issue you with a final response letter. If this final response letter states that they are still refusing to settle your claimm you can then invoke the Financial Services Ombudsman complaint procedure. The FSO will investigate your complaint and make a binding decision. Unfortuately the FSO are under a lot of pressure lately, so it is unlikely that your complaint will adjudicated upon for at least 4-6 months.

I would be hopeful that if you follow the above process, the Insurer may opt to seek some form of settlement that is acceptable to you rather than incur the costs of dealing with an FSO eligible complaint.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Imeant to say the FSO decision is binding on the Insurer if you accept the decision however it is not binding on you if the Insurer accepts the decision and you do not, you will still retain the right to pursue the Insurer through the court process.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks for that PaulD, I was given the same info today by the NCA and intend on writing to them first off to see what their response is.

Advertisement