Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kinda lighting set up would've been used here?

• 13-04-2011 12:21am

No interest in football, no idea who's in the image. Was flicking through the Wrestling forum's off-topic thread and seen this picture;

2pzxuyo.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Just curious as to how it would have been taken? The player seems pretty well lit up, but the room is fairly low-key.

I originally guessed that perhaps it ws two photographs, one of the room nice and dark, and the second with a softbox or such in front of the player. Layered over each other and some overlay affect used to light the player, but then I thought that they'd have to keep him perfectly still, which wouldn't be realistic.

Anyone got any theories? It's a fantastic photograph, in my opinion. If I'd taken it myself I'd have to get a gigantic print of it done. Just to gloat to myself :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Just curious as to how it would have been taken? The player seems pretty well lit up, but the room is fairly low-key.

I originally guessed that perhaps it ws two photographs, one of the room nice and dark, and the second with a softbox or such in front of the player. Layered over each other and some overlay affect used to light the player, but then I thought that they'd have to keep him perfectly still, which wouldn't be realistic.

Anyone got any theories? It's a fantastic photograph, in my opinion. If I'd taken it myself I'd have to get a gigantic print of it done. Just to gloat to myself :p

Well, there's a hell of a lot of work gone into that photo, even the pre-planning of it. I've no interest in football either, but I'll assume because the it's the only jersey with the name facing us that it's Giggs - fantastic planning and adds even more to it.

IMO flash was used on him, he seems far too well defined for it to have been only ambient, also the lightpool on the left side of the floor but not the right could be from the softbox, or just where the right hand floor was made darker in PS to not distract...

I also have a funny feeling that a flash was used to light all the jerseys individually, now weather it's 11 shots stacked or 2-3 long exposures I couldn't tell you - either would work. But again, I just can't see them being like that from ambient light.

A lot of layers, time and thought went into this photo... and a lot of processing. Oh, and he would only have to be shot in 1 image for it to be placed in - he wouldn't have to stay very still in all of them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Tried to do a TinEye search on the photo to see where it originated. It would have helped a bit to find out who shot the photo as I know a couple of lads who shoot Man Utd games and if it's done by someone involved with the club they'd probably know who the person and could find out some info. Leave it with me to see if I can suss it out.

Actually found out who shot it:

http://www.diveraguilar.com/

I'll see if the lads know anything about them.

Edit: Have a look at this and you can see the image is heavily edited in the mag: http://www.diveraguilar.com/blog/

kensutz wrote: »
    Actually found out who shot it:

http://www.diveraguilar.com/

I'll see if the lads know anything about them.

Edit: Have a look at this and you can see the image is heavily edited in the mag: http://www.diveraguilar.com/blog/

He's doing seirous commisioned work - I've a feeling he's got nothing to do with actually shooting soccer ken, just high-level advertising for it or so it seems...

Yeah it's all commercial stuff with a small bit of sport thrown in. Even looking at the blog you can see the shot was heavily edited from being brightly lit to the final product.

• Advertisement

There's a lot that went into it would seem alright.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever be up for anything like that. Seems to be far, far too much messing around in photoshop and such. My head would explode.

Though that said, it really does look well. Fair play to the lads! They obviously know their stuff and aren't messers at all. Though I suppose when you're getting approached by Sky, then you really must be among the best at what you do (or what they want you to do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Cool shot indeed.

On a side note, I am assuming that each jersey was the different designs of jerseys that Giggs has wore over the years.

Cool shot indeed.

On a side note, I am assuming that each jersey was the different designs of jerseys that Giggs has wore over the years.

Kinda what it looks like to me too, now you mention it!

KKV - it's not as bad as you think, I'd do a lot of similar stuff for car photography and really once you get your head around it, it gets easier and easier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I wouldn't be a soccer fan at all, but I remember seeing these shots coming out. They were specifically to mark Giggs in his 20th year at the club (which is a hell of an achievement in any sport). The jerseys on display are just a handful of his from over the years.
    There was another photo used on a magazine that was quite striking too, showing a composite of seven of him, six wearing those jerseys and one wearing a suit.

Edit: Found it, but it's massive.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L5oqRUk_Ly0/TUGHNCHrkJI/AAAAAAAAAEs/ZHrt4p3hEPw/s1600/Cover_Giggs_V1.jpg

haha, look between the legs - obvious clone-tool marks :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement