Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Languages

• 13-04-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm generally good at languages, but we could only choose either french or german in first year, not both... I want to do both for the LC, and was wondering if this is a good idea? I have 2 friends who are near fluent who are helping me with basics so far, so that would probably be able to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Languages are a bit harder than most subjects to learn yourself as you need to get things like pronounciation from listening to someone saying it, you can't just know out of the book. If you were to take up another language it would probably be wise to get some grinds rather than just help from your friends.

And would you be able to do the two without getting them mixed up? Personally, I'm atrocious at languages so I'd just mix them all up, but that's just me. If you think you could do you are capable og doing French, German and Irish without mixing them up then this shouldn't be a problem. And since German and French are such differently sounding languages it wouldn't be too easy to mix them up.

So if you think you are capable of doing the languages without confusing them, and if you would be able to get some grinds, then I'd say go for it! You could even try it for a year and if you are finding it too difficult then you could drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mars619

Thanks for the feedback, grinds are easily available for me, and I'm on the road to fluency with French anyway, so I'm sure I'd be fine about not getting them mixed up. And yeah, I was thinking I always could drop it if I had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

i do both french and german. i love languages and never mix them up.Get a grind though if you are really serious abut them

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

I do both languages too and I'd definitely recommend it If you have a knack for languages you shouldn't get them mixed up and if you want to study languages in university you'll be glad of the advantage

Advertisement