Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run a charity event or private profit making?

• 13-04-2011 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think last year the general consensus was that it is purely for profit. They will argue that a number of charity runners are allowed enter for free but considering the choose who gets to run for free, they pick who they like.

Oh avd green paint, one less thing for them to do this year. Their signage around town is also illegally placed on state signage like stop/yield signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

I would think it's being run like a business but charites will get a lot of much needed funds from it as a lot of the runners that will run it for fun will collect sponsorship for them.

I think it's great to have a run like this through the streets of Limerick. Would love to see the womens mini-marathon being organised around the city too, rather than being out near UL.

It would be great to organise a run straight down from O'Connell Ave to Athlunkard St. on St. Patrick's Day to kick start the parade as all the streets are closed and there would be a huge audience and a grand stand for the dignitaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i dont know if any or most marathons are run for charity? AFAIK they dont make much off this either, the costs cover the organisational costs, then people can choose to run it for charity if they wish. Same as any other marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

yes, they are a small little local business with 1 annual event here which is 'for profit'. But what a great little enterprise, setting up so much good will in the city, last year was amazing - such a feel good day, but its good that it also creates a bit of local employment while raising so much money for local and national charities. Almost 7,000 people took part last year, even if everyone raised an average of €100 thats €700,000 raised for charities.

I think I saw someone on here knock the event last year because it was organised by a business, but thats ridiculous! We are begging local entrepreneurs to set up new ventures and this one is particularly great for those taking part, the city, local business & charities - everyone wins!! Its a great event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Tbf, i don't see any charities going to the effort of holding an event of this scale, which is fair enough, it takes massive organisation.

I know you are just asking out of the goodness of your heart BigPink, so why don't you volunteer to run for one of these charities? http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/about_charities.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Last year was a mix of profit making by the organisers and some other parties that got involved, and plenty of the runners running for a charity which was organised by individual runners.

I know I ran last year and was going to run regardless, but a friend asked me if I would be willing to do so for a charity she is involved with, so I did, and will be doing the same this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

every charity is a business these days anyways....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Great limerick run didn't exist, until someone had an idea, i'm sure if they made a loss no one would be complaining.

Fair play to them for setting it all up, and enjoy their profit from the run. While i would much prefer it to be a charity run, no-one took the risk.

Its nice to see lots of people from all of ireland come to limerick, lets hope now the hotels don't try rip them off. If they keep the rates the same people might stay weekend instead of one night. (they can make money from bar + food)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

The marathon is on par price wise with some others in Ireland. The price of the half is joke imho. You can do the lifestyle addidas race series (3 races - 5miler july, 10miler aug and half mara sept) in phoenix park for 50e for all 3, t shirt and goodie bag included, mega atmosphere and about 8000 others running too. And is it really too much to go about ensuring proper 10k was put in place this year rather than a 6miler (after last years '10k'!)

For the money paid last year and the result, they have a lot of re gigging to do this year which they seem to be doing in fairness. Looks like they are making an effort to not make the same mistakes they ignored to listen too last year so hopefully

it was great to see sooo many people get out running last year and this year. never saw so many limerick people out and about before the great limerick run

but to answer the ops question - mostly profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The marathon is on par price wise with some others in Ireland. The price of the half is joke imho. You can do the lifestyle addidas race series (3 races - 5miler july, 10miler aug and half mara sept) in phoenix park for 50e for all 3, t shirt and goodie bag included, mega atmosphere and about 8000 others running too. And is it really too much to go about ensuring proper 10k was put in place this year rather than a 6miler (after last years '10k'!)

For the money paid last year and the result, they have a lot of re gigging to do this year which they seem to be doing in fairness. Looks like they are making an effort to not make the same mistakes they ignored to listen too last year so hopefully

it was great to see sooo many people get out running last year and this year. never saw so many limerick people out and about before the great limerick run

but to answer the ops question - mostly profit.

I briefly looked into arranging a not-for-profit run in Limerick ages back, met up with guys from Limerick AC. They'd been quoted a cost of 18,000 euros to close the roads for an hour.

Doubt there's massive profit being made with those sort of overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You need to ring Limerick.ie

The lady at the other end of the phone knows the ins and outs of anything like this. The Limerick Co-ordination office now called the Limerick Communincation office(because they really don't organise anything) are helpful but normally work off a quango list so what's the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I may this run i go!

Alot of people seem to think its for charity

but if it aint its all the one good for Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

bigpink wrote: »
    I may this run i go!

Alot of people seem to think its for charity

but if it aint its all the one good for Limerick

Agreed, but who are you and what have you done with big pink?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

It's not for charity, it's a commercial race. There's very few "for charity" marathons to be fair.

The price is steep alright but is on similar level to Connemarathon and other commercial marathons in Ireland.

I ran the half last year and it was a disaster in terms of the chosen route, road closures, prizes for the winners etc, the lack of marshals at the finish line, the 10k race being about 800metres short. They seem to have made changes to the route this year and have a huge prize fund, both to be welcomed. They definitely need to get more volunteers on the course. In fairness, there were always going to be teething problems last year.

I've no problem running commercial races if you are getting value for money. There wasn't value last year but am running it again this year. You can't beat being able to run in your home town and the support and crowds on the route all the way around last year was savage. That being said,

Advertisement