Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Dying?

• 13-04-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

I have nothing but warm things to say about Limerick, but it seems to me as an 'outsider' that the place is dying

I lived here for a year 10 years ago. It was active, lots of young people around 7 days a week, pubs / restuarants always opening / closing etc. I can drive through town 6/7 nights of the week now and its like a ghost town

If it wasn't for Thomond Park it would be worse

Whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

D1stant wrote: »
    Whats going on?

Recession. town is still manic on tuesday nights, and generally packed on sat nights too. the others have always ebbed and flowed, with nights out being popular and dying off over time. If anything, I'm finding nightlife more interesting now, as the venues are really competing for business, and offering much better value.

daytime on the other hand, the council have fcked up with their rates, and made it too hard to attract investment from businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

zuroph wrote: »
    daytime on the other hand, the council have fcked up with their rates, and made it too hard to attract investment from businesses.

The council/planners have fcked up allowing all the retail parks. They've literally killed the city center for the sake of a cut price tv from harvey norman. Terrible to see a once thriving city decimated but I fear there's no way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The council/planners have fcked up allowing all the retail parks. They've literally killed the city center for the sake of a cut price tv from harvey norman. Terrible to see a once thriving city decimated but I fear there's no way back.

The city centre is not appealing to go into anymore imo. Between the silly amount of traffic lights in place, some pointless bus lanes, less on street parking and traffic wardens on every corner waiting to pounce if you are 2 mins over your alotted time, why would you bother? The rare time I go into the city centre these days is if I cannot get what I am looking for elsewhere. It's also a nice excuse to leave the car at home and exercise my legs.

Alot of retailers have moved out to these retail parks because of higher rates in the city centre and the fact that most of their customers have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I will say there were better places to go in the early to mid 90s, at least for people into good music. You had a choice of places to go and hear good music or watch good bands. Plus there is sweet f**kall choice in town when it comes to buying decent clothes for men. It's a disaster. Even Tony Connollys is gone to the dogs, you could always rely on picking up something half decent downstairs...

Schuh is the only half decent shop for men...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seachto7 wrote: »
    I will say there were better places to go in the early to mid 90s, at least for people into good music. You had a choice of places to go and hear good music or watch good bands.

old-people-crossing.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Noel's Menswear up on Wickham Street has nice stuff too but is pricey. Pretty much all the menswear shops are expensive and the cheaper ones are all selling the same stuff (Hoodies and T-shirts with big numbers and writing splashed across the front of them).

We need some kind of a decent city shopping centre to get people back into the city centre. Was up in the one in Galway about two weeks ago and it was very busy as was the whole of shop street, absolutely booming it was with loads of things happening up and down the street i.e buskers. It reminded me of Crusies Street from years ago when on a Saturday town was mobbed. To think if HMV pull out of the city centre there will be no music shop left in town. Golden Discs x2 and Empire Music gone.

Off the top of my head there is:

About 9 euro or discount stores in the city centre
    1 Music Shop
    4 menswear shops
    8 or 9 ladies
    4 sports stores
    3 or 4 newsagents
    2 Electronics stores
    and one or two more little shops around.

The rest is probably made up of Cafes, Restuarants and Bars. All these things are spreaded way out also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jofspring wrote: »
    Noel's Menswear up on Wickham Street has nice stuff too but is pricey. Pretty much all the menswear shops are expensive and the cheaper ones are all selling the same stuff (Hoodies and T-shirts with big numbers and writing splashed across the front of them).

We need some kind of a decent city shopping centre to get people back into the city centre. Was up in the one in Galway about two weeks ago and it was very busy as was the whole of shop street, absolutely booming it was with loads of things happening up and down the street i.e buskers. It reminded me of Crusies Street from years ago when on a Saturday town was mobbed. To think if HMV pull out of the city centre there will be no music shop left in town. Golden Discs x2 and Empire Music gone.

Off the top of my head there is:

About 9 euro or discount stores in the city centre
    1 Music Shop
    4 menswear shops
    8 or 9 ladies
    4 sports stores
    3 or 4 newsagents
    2 Electronics stores
    and one or two more little shops around.

The rest is probably made up of Cafes, Restuarants and Bars. All these things are spreaded way out also

Has more in common with small towns around Ireland than actual cities. Killarney, Tralee, Ennis, Clonmel, Nenagh etc all could be described as having the same or similar in terms of a list of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Not just talking about commercial migration to the suburbs

But I mean look up gig listings for Limerick in April..... Theres probbaly more going on in Ennis / Clonakilty etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    old-people-crossing.jpg

It's good to have an opinion on this thread from someone over the age of 21...:rolleyes::)

I'm 34 but old enough to remember not getting everything I wanted handed to me, but yeah in the early to mid 90s, things were better in the city centre at least. I suppose the burbs didn't have the retail parks at the time though...There weren't any burbs as such. I was playing underage footie in Aisling Annacotty surrounded by fields.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is not a recession in Limerick, it is a depression. This coming summer will be the final nail in the coffin for many of the businesses in the city. I won't mention names but I know of three large stores that are in big trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Lets relax a bit here getting far to negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No, Limerick city is changing, it's not dying.

Over the past few years we've seen the redevelopment of Thomond park and the Market, both massive improvements on what was there before. We've seen the increased pedestrainisation of the city centre, the redesign of the quays and seen the Art college move to one campus.

Over the next few years we're going to see the redevelopment of King John's Castle, the streetscape improvements on William st and O'Connell st, the redevelopment of the market's field.

Ireland faces massive problems and Limerick is no exception but we can use this time to make necessary changes to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I'm going to say no, its not dying, but if its not fixed soon who knows.

Drop the rents in city, expand boundry so council can have rates from shopping centres which in turn will drop rates in city.

JOBS very important 20,000+ people don't have any money to be spending on pubs, resturants, shopping.

More gardai on street.

Last week city was quite busy in the sunshine would much prefer to be in town than a retail park on a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is not a recession in Limerick, it is a depression. This coming summer will be the final nail in the coffin for many of the businesses in the city. I won't mention names but I know of three large stores that are in big trouble.

You don't need to mention names, there's hardly 3 big stores left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RonMexico wrote: »

Able to PM the names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

More gardai on street.

You can forget about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I'm going to say no, its not dying, but if its not fixed soon who knows.
    Drop the rents in city, expand boundry so council can have rates from shopping centres which in turn will drop rates in city.
    JOBS very important 20,000+ people don't have any money to be spending on pubs, resturants, shopping.
    More gardai on street.
    Last week city was quite busy in the sunshine would much prefer to be in town than a retail park on a nice day.

Ya, I think the city center is dying,
    The council will not drop their rates to a realistic level, I say realistic because I heard that they did drop them by .25 of 1 %.
    Certainly agree with a jobs incentive for employers or anything that's gets people out working, because when they are working they are spending.
    Limerick is the most policed city in the country. there are 600+ maybe getting them out onto the streets walking around more would help though.
    I really think that rates is an important issue, but that council won't make the necessary changes, them and their cronies are accustomed to a certain lifestyle.
    The town is nice when there are people about, matches on etc, the city needs leadership!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Pedestrianisation is all well and good but what is the point if in the meantime all the stores close down?

Businesses ARE the city. As it stands more are closing than opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I work in Limerick City centre. Last Saturday I was at work and at more than one stage we were all just standing around looking at each other hoping customers would appear...

We're shifting more units but making less money coz we had to drop our prices. We have some serious bargains and even they can't drag people in the door at the worst parts of the day.

Not saying where I work is in trouble, but it's absolutly soul destroying to not be busy at work when you have good products, good prices and good customer service. There are some days when Cruises St is DEAD. Apart from a few scumbag kids and other people who work in town that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

D1stant wrote: »
    I have nothing but warm things to say about Limerick, but it seems to me as an 'outsider' that the place is dying

I lived here for a year 10 years ago. It was active, lots of young people around 7 days a week, pubs / restuarants always opening / closing etc. I can drive through town 6/7 nights of the week now and its like a ghost town

If it wasn't for Thomond Park it would be worse

Whats going on?

You are absolutely right. There hasn't been a significant jobs announcement for Limerick in I don't know how many years, despite several closures. Until this changes, the city and region will continue it's sad decline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 blueivu

I hate that I have to agree, it is sad but true, Limerick is dying. I think that Opera centre disaster has a lot to do with it, hopes were pinned on it and other areas were let down, now those bought out buildings are crumbling, but first letting off an awful stench.
    We do have a lot of places to eat in the city, but that's about it. There is nothing to entice people into the city centre, not when you can get more than you want in the Crescent undercover during the inclement weathers with free parking. The only shop the Crescent is missing is a big book shop like Easons, and how soon will that be out there too?

The council should really suck it up and build the centre, yes it will cost a lot, but the dividends will be plenty, they are blinded by instant gratifications, those will not benefit any of us in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

blueivu wrote: »
    The council should really suck it up and build the centre, yes it will cost a lot, but the dividends will be plenty, they are blinded by instant gratifications, those will not benefit any of us in the long run.

The council are broke mainly due to their own ineptitude and wouldnt want to be inany building bulit by them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

It definitely does seem dreary compared to places like Galway and Cork, you go to places like that they seem to be full of life, come back to Limerick and the contrast is apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

The city mightn't be dying but it is seriously ill. 1 or 2 big shops pull out and it will keel over.
    1. The rates are killing the businesses in town.

2. Parking is too expensive and not enough on street parking. I live outside the city and have to use the car. I'm not going to spend an extra €10 on parking to browse around town and have lunch when I can go outside of town and get it for free. Also, there aren't enough places in town selling parking discs - you have to go on a long walk from your car to find them and a long walk back.

3. Town looks like a hole. The closed shops for the Opera centre makes Patrick St. look like Beruit. Too many closed shops further up town and all the discount stores make the place look cheap.

4. The Milk Market on Saturday is supposed to be open till 4pm. We went through there at 2pm last week and it was pretty much closed. Done and dusted by 3pm. The rest of the town was really quiet.

Gneez wrote: »
    It definitely does seem dreary compared to places like Galway and Cork, you go to places like that they seem to be full of life, come back to Limerick and the contrast is apparent.

Galway city centre was packed yesterday compared to Limerick city centre. Lots of people heading in and out of shops, and plenty of decent street entertainers, and a very noticeable lack of scum in any numbers. Plus the most noticeable thing of all...Gardai on foot patrols.

Lots of colour, noise, and money getting spent up there yesterday.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Galway city centre was packed yesterday compared to Limerick city centre. Lots of people heading in and out of shops, and plenty of decent street entertainers, and a very noticeable lack of scum in any numbers. Plus the most noticeable thing of all...Gardai on foot patrols.

Lots of colour, noise, and money getting spent up there yesterday.

Galway is only about two streets though, far easier to maintain a small city centre than what Limerick has. Galway also doesn't have the out of town centres like the Crescent and it has a university fairly much in it's city centre. You aren't comparing like with like. You also are over-estimating how much is actually being spent, if the amount of closures in Galway's city centre is anything to go by. I'm up there most weeks and bit by bit Shop street is changing from a really cool street to high street uk.

There's loads of work to do in Limerick alright but we have to work with what we have, not spend our time wishing we had something else. Imo, we should identify three or four areas that need to be redeveloped once William st/O'Connell st are redeveloped and get working on those areas now. Maybe 1) Nicholas st (plans already in motion 2) Market quarter (businesses already working together 3) Arthur's Quay park (surrounded by empty lots) 4) Canal walk (completely unfinished and underutilised)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

liammur wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. There hasn't been a significant jobs announcement for Limerick in I don't know how many years, despite several closures. Until this changes, the city and region will continue it's sad decline.
    This probably part of the problem - not enough enterprise culture in Ireland generally. You have thousands of people all sitting around waiting for someone else to start a business. It's easier said than done, of course, but that's why capitalism allows those who take the risk get rich if they get it right.

Galway is only about two streets though, far easier to maintain a small city centre than what Limerick has. Galway also doesn't have the out of town centres like the Crescent and it has a university fairly much in it's city centre. You aren't comparing like with like. You also are over-estimating how much is actually being spent, if the amount of closures in Galway's city centre is anything to go by. I'm up there most weeks and bit by bit Shop street is changing from a really cool street to high street uk.

There's loads of work to do in Limerick alright but we have to work with what we have, not spend our time wishing we had something else. Imo, we should identify three or four areas that need to be redeveloped once William st/O'Connell st are redeveloped and get working on those areas now. Maybe 1) Nicholas st (plans already in motion 2) Market quarter (businesses already working together 3) Arthur's Quay park (surrounded by empty lots) 4) Canal walk (completely unfinished and underutilised)

It still boils down to the planners/local authorites etc in Galway making the most of what they have though.

When local events are on, there are plenty of posters and advertising for them, and organisers seem to be more interest6ed in making events as good as they can be, rather than being interested in getting their face into a paper.

And as for a place becoming a "High street UK", well Limerick sure as hell could do with more of that, as I for one would sooner see lots of open stores in Limerick regardless of origin, than looking at lots of closed units that were once small local stores but that are no more.

If it meant jobs for Limerick, and more people going to the city centre, then bring it on. The knock on effect from having more people in would be the cafes etc getting more business and maybe things like a city centre cinema and other such amenities popping up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What does Galway have that we don't have....tourists, on any given day there could be between 2,000 - 10,000 visitors to Galway, that is a lot of bodies in the shops on the streets etc, we aren't doing as bad as people are making us out to be either, we actually get a lot more tourists than many people think but we are waaaaaay behind Galway, and to be fair it is a very well presented coastal town, and have a lovely vibe about it as a result, we need to play to our strenghts, our river isn't utilised half as much as it should be ( just look at Athlone ) the city centre has the look of a town in the grips of a severe reccession ( as does a lot of towns in Ireland today ) but the foundations are strong, anyone who can remember Limerick pre early nineties will agree we have come a long long way...we do use our love of sports to good effect it has to be said....

Of course....we could do without the constant negative press we seem to get....but don't get me started on that one.....

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    It still boils down to the planners/local authorites etc in Galway making the most of what they have though.

No doubt, but Galway doesn't have a nonsense boundary like Limerick city has.

Most of the problems of Limerick city centre are in some way related to the boundary.

1) too much social housing within the city
    2) Out of town shopping centres (money goes to county)
    3) No traffic co-ordination
    4) lack of funds to invest in city centre (due to point 2).

etc

People want a nice city centre but they don't want to either pay for it themselves via household rates or empower Limerick city council pay for it by way of a boundary extension.

As a result of this Limerick city has to have high commercial rates. Which people then complain is shutting down the city centre, which makes it harder to do business in Limerick, which makes it harder to improve the city centre etc.

If you want to see Limerick improve, the first step has to be a boundary extension, or combine the two councils.

Advertisement