Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Dying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

What does Galway have that we don't have....tourists, on any given day there could be between 2,000 - 10,000 visitors to Galway, that is a lot of bodies in the shops on the streets etc, we aren't doing as bad as people are making us out to be either, we actually get a lot more tourists than many people think but we are waaaaaay behind Galway, and to be fair it is a very well presented coastal town, and have a lovely vibe about it as a result, we need to play to our strenghts, our river isn't utilised half as much as it should be ( just look at Athlone ) the city centre has the look of a town in the grips of a severe reccession ( as does a lot of towns in Ireland today ) but the foundations are strong, anyone who can remember Limerick pre early nineties will agree we have come a long long way...we do use our love of sports to good effect it has to be said....

Of course....we could do without the constant negative press we seem to get....but don't get me started on that one.....
    Without wanting to be offensive, I don't think tourists are going to come to Limerick, and I doubt many of those who do will recommend it to their friends. It's a pretty depressing place, and I found it so even during the bubble. It's not an attractive town and there are plenty of rough people around that give it a ghetto edge. Perhaps one of the problems is that, as you observe, the river isn't really a feature of the town? It borders it, rather than being part of it. But then it's far too wide to have the town on both banks as in other cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No doubt, but Galway doesn't have a nonsense boundary like Limerick city has.

Most of the problems of Limerick city centre are in some way related to the boundary.

1) too much social housing within the city
    2) Out of town shopping centres (money goes to county)
    3) No traffic co-ordination
    4) lack of funds to invest in city centre (due to point 2).

etc

People want a nice city centre but they don't want to either pay for it themselves via household rates or empower Limerick city council pay for it by way of a boundary extension.

As a result of this Limerick city has to have high commercial rates. Which people then complain is shutting down the city centre, which makes it harder to do business in Limerick, which makes it harder to improve the city centre etc.

If you want to see Limerick improve, the first step has to be a boundary extension, or combine the two councils.

Your points are valid, but who was behind letting social housing levels in Limerick become the highest in the entire country? Surely the penny should have dropped when the % of housing in the city that was social housing hit 20%, or 25%, or 35%, or even 40%, let alone what it is today. I have no doubt that it will still be ignored and will break the 50% mark that it is already close to in a number of years.

Out of town shopping centres do take money from the city, but what was to stop the city council combating this by dropping rates and putting incentives in places for retailers to come and set up in the city centre in the 38 years since the Crescent Shopping centre opened? Since the 1990's the rates in the city centre have grown at an alarming rate, and since the downturn in the economy we have seen Limerick city council drop their rates by only 0.25 or 1% whilst their counterparts in Cork and Galway dropped their charges by far far more. Greed is what won out with the short term gain of higher rates being the goal rather than a sustainable long term plan that took into account competition from the county and elsewhere. So a lot of the reason behind their lack of funds is down to their shortsighted tactics in the past, and those very same tactics are in play today.

As for traffic co-ordination, I am not sure if you are talking about the city and county councils working together with regards to road changes, bus lanes and the like, or just the way the city council have done things within their own boundary.

It is all well and good saying that ordinary folk are somewhat to blame for it, but what exactly has Limerick city council done that would suggest that if they had a larger income that they would use the money to make genuine and lasting improvement?

There seems to be an attitude within some quarters that having a city with 50% of units occupied and paying 100% of rates/charges etc., is better than a city paying 80% of rates/charges but with 80% of units in use.

More full units would mean more jobs, meaning more people spending money in the city be it workers from the full units or customers going to those units.

More people in the city means more demand and custom for cinemas/pubs/music venues/comedy clubs/services etc.

My take there may be a simplified view on the issue as a whole, but it is not without a large slice of truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Kess73 wrote: »
    Your points are valid, but who was behind letting social housing levels in Limerick become the highest in the entire country? Surely the penny should have dropped when the % of housing in the city that was social housing hit 20%, or 25%, or 35%, or even 40%, let alone what it is today. I have no doubt that it will still be ignored and will break the 50% mark that it is already close to in a number of years.

Out of town shopping centres do take money from the city, but what was to stop the city council combating this by dropping rates and putting incentives in places for retailers to come and set up in the city centre in the 38 years since the Crescent Shopping centre opened? Since the 1990's the rates in the city centre have grown at an alarming rate, and since the downturn in the economy we have seen Limerick city council drop their rates by only 0.25 or 1% whilst their counterparts in Cork and Galway dropped their charges by far far more. Greed is what won out with the short term gain of higher rates being the goal rather than a sustainable long term plan that took into account competition from the county and elsewhere. So a lot of the reason behind their lack of funds is down to their shortsighted tactics in the past, and those very same tactics are in play today.

As for traffic co-ordination, I am not sure if you are talking about the city and county councils working together with regards to road changes, bus lanes and the like, or just the way the city council have done things within their own boundary.

It is all well and good saying that ordinary folk are somewhat to blame for it, but what exactly has Limerick city council done that would suggest that if they had a larger income that they would use the money to make genuine and lasting improvement?

There seems to be an attitude within some quarters that having a city with 50% of units occupied and paying 100% of rates/charges etc., is better than a city paying 80% of rates/charges but with 80% of units in use.

More full units would mean more jobs, meaning more people spending money in the city be it workers from the full units or customers going to those units.

More people in the city means more demand and custom for cinemas/pubs/music venues/comedy clubs/services etc.

My take there may be a simplified view on the issue as a whole, but it is not without a large slice of truth.

I assume you aren't joking but if you can't see the bind the city council is in due to the boundary wrt to rates then I don't know if it can be explained to you. God forgive me but I'll try again. Limerick city council can't drop rates because city councils get little funding from central government. The council's main source of income is rates. These rates are drawn from the commercial base. The county by comparison gets rates from both commercial and industrial concerns. Limerick city is trying to fund redevelopment on a shoe-string, if it dropped rates it couldn't afford the redevelopment of William st etc. If the council doesn't redeveloped the streets the city looks even worse, which makes it even harder to attract business. It's a vicious circle and the banshees crying about rates should focus their energies on crying about the boundary.

We all agree the city needs to be redeveloped but how do people propose it should be funded?

The social housing is interesting, not all council estates went bad and for most people the council estates were a success story. Half of Caherdavin and Raheen is owned by people who grew up in council estates and moved out and bought their own houses.

It's also easy to look back and say it was a mistake do suchandsuch with the estates but at the time Ireland, not just Limerick was undergoing massive social changes. The council estates of Dublin, Cork and Limerick are the remnants of the old inner city slums. Most people who's great grand parents lived in the slums now have comfortable middle class lives.

We're left with a different issue now, and imo, it's a recent enough issue, how do you deal with people who have no interest in social mobility? Who view the State as a provider and little else? It'd be fraudulent to have expected planners in the 1950's to have predicted this, imo.

It's also telling that, afaik, the population of the council estates is declining. The socially mobile people are still getting up and getting out. This is across the State, not just in Limerick, though it remains to be seen what affect the recession will have.

It's worth examining, imo, is why social mobility is still so hard for members of the Travelling Community to achieve. Is it racism within the settled community or different emphasises in their own community?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Travellers get plenty of chances,they want to be different and treated equal,make up your mind!!

They get free houses,sites,stables etc

bigpink wrote: »
    Travellers get plenty of chances,they want to be different and treated equal,make up your mind!!

They get free houses,sites,stables etc

you can be different and be treated equally, you know.

Indeed, I'd hate it if this entire world was made of people the same as you or me.

• Advertisement

So could i claim traveller status to get a stable?

So could i claim traveller status to get a stable?

Think you'd have to show you are a Traveller in some way or other but if you want to, why not investigate and report back to us?

I've seen halting sites, i wouldn't be in a mad rush to live in one but maybe they have a certain romantic charm for you.

Exactly they get free sites and ever see the state they leave the areas around it

Look the halting site on the Dock road they have illegally claimed more land than they were given and also dump rubbish over the walls

Exactly they get free sites and ever see the state they leave the areas around it

Look the halting site on the Dock road they have illegally claimed more land than they were given and also dump rubbish over the walls

Some Travellers do and some don't. Don't make them out to be all one and the same.

Some settled people beat their and abuse their kids, some settled people give their time charity and help others, some settled people are tossers and some aren't.

There's no need to pretend everyone of any given community is the same.

I agree with you but the Traveller excuse comes up alot,why dont they just follow the laws as we all do,send their kids to school instead of demanding special schools etc,christ some travellers get free taxis paid to bring them to school

I deffo dont pretend their the same

• Advertisement

I agree with you but the Traveller excuse comes up alot,why dont they just follow the laws as we all do,send their kids to school instead of demanding special schools etc,christ some travellers get free taxis paid to bring them to school

I deffo dont pretend their the same

Are you really asking why the Travellers who break the law actually break the law? Why do you never bother asking why the settled people who break the law actually break the law?

I ask all the time but as i said Travellers seem to use "Culture" as an excuse alot,ever hear Martin Collins of Pavee Point trying to defend wrongs

Lets get this back on topic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

the thing is, the reason people went to the retail parks to begin with is simple, loads and loads of free parking, its not that there are better shops (dunnes, boots, lifestyle etc all in town too) its simply parking.

in limerick, there isn't any, you have the overpriced multistories or over priced parking discs that you cant find any of the shops selling! christ, if you go to Ennis or Nenagh you can't move for parking ticket machines EVERYWHERE for 50c an hour!

seen the roadworks on upper william street lately? yep, they made the foothpaths wider so no more parking!

the obession with making the city centre more pedestrianised with zero consideration for parking is insane and killing the city centre.

whoever it is that gives the go ahead for all this needs a hard slap

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

I assume you aren't joking but if you can't see the bind the city council is in due to the boundary wrt to rates then I don't know if it can be explained to you. God forgive me but I'll try again. Limerick city council can't drop rates because city councils get little funding from central government. The council's main source of income is rates. These rates are drawn from the commercial base. The county by comparison gets rates from both commercial and industrial concerns. Limerick city is trying to fund redevelopment on a shoe-string, if it dropped rates it couldn't afford the redevelopment of William st etc. If the council doesn't redeveloped the streets the city looks even worse, which makes it even harder to attract business. It's a vicious circle and the banshees crying about rates should focus their energies on crying about the boundary.

We all agree the city needs to be redeveloped but how do people propose it should be funded?

The social housing is interesting, not all council estates went bad and for most people the council estates were a success story. Half of Caherdavin and Raheen is owned by people who grew up in council estates and moved out and bought their own houses.

It's also easy to look back and say it was a mistake do suchandsuch with the estates but at the time Ireland, not just Limerick was undergoing massive social changes. The council estates of Dublin, Cork and Limerick are the remnants of the old inner city slums. Most people who's great grand parents lived in the slums now have comfortable middle class lives.

We're left with a different issue now, and imo, it's a recent enough issue, how do you deal with people who have no interest in social mobility? Who view the State as a provider and little else? It'd be fraudulent to have expected planners in the 1950's to have predicted this, imo.

It's also telling that, afaik, the population of the council estates is declining. The socially mobile people are still getting up and getting out. This is across the State, not just in Limerick, though it remains to be seen what affect the recession will have.

It's worth examining, imo, is why social mobility is still so hard for members of the Travelling Community to achieve. Is it racism within the settled community or different emphasises in their own community?

maybe its time that there was a direct council tax on homes instead of the reliance on fast disappearing rates from fast disappearing business, i know it would be an unpopular idea, but what other choice is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I assume you aren't joking but if you can't see the bind the city council is in due to the boundary wrt to rates then I don't know if it can be explained to you. God forgive me but I'll try again. Limerick city council can't drop rates because city councils get little funding from central government. The council's main source of income is rates. These rates are drawn from the commercial base. The county by comparison gets rates from both commercial and industrial concerns. Limerick city is trying to fund redevelopment on a shoe-string, if it dropped rates it couldn't afford the redevelopment of William st etc. If the council doesn't redeveloped the streets the city looks even worse, which makes it even harder to attract business. It's a vicious circle and the banshees crying about rates should focus their energies on crying about the boundary. We all agree the city needs to be redeveloped but how do people propose it should be funded?

Your patronising tone in saying you will explain it to me aside, I do see the bind they are in financially, but I also see that it is self inflicted by a short sighted approach, and that it is inflicted by having decision makers with very little knowledge and experience in both business and financial matters.

They have left things get to this stage despite having economists advising against many of their moves over the last two decades, and the same idiot decisions will be made year after year with their excuse of the boundary getting trotted out over and over.

Sure extending the boundary will increase the income they get in, no arguement there from me. But the extra income raised will have to go towards the areas that are in the extended areas as well as to the current areas, so it will not be some massive windfall for the current inner city. And if the current city authorities, who are well proven in not having a clue, get their claws into places like the Crescent Shopping centre in terms of having a say in rates etc., then I have no doubt that the marvellous job that they have done in the city centre in helping top empty so many units will carry on in the Crescent or any shopping centre that falls under their umbrella.

So yeah I do see the bind they are in. I do see that they are cash strapped, but I also see how bad they have been at their jobs and how they have inflicted a huge amount of damage to the city centre as a result of their short sighted approach.

Can you honestly say that you would have full confidence in Limerick City Council in terms of the improvements the city needs in attracting new businesses, new services, infrastructure, policing etc if they had a larger income? That you have no doubts that it is simply a matter of finances that has Limerick city centre as it is?

I was a regional manager for a large UK firm a few years back, and was heavily involved in the company setting up a number of new stores in the West and South of Ireland. The one place where we met people who had no idea in what they were doing was in Limerick city. Promises were made over and over about a unit, promises were made about rates, then lead times were missed again and again whilst their counterparts in Cork and Galway were professional, had knowledge of what a company needs, understood the concept of contact. The upshot was that the Cork and Galway stores went ahead, as well as other stores in Munster, but Limerick city was shelved as a project. Both sites in Limerick that were looked at are still vacant with noi signs of anything being done, and this all happened before the downturn took hold.

I know that many of the same people are still in the same roles in Limerck, and that they are still the points of contact for any interested parties who may have ideas of setting up in Limerick. For as long as they are you can expect a similar scenario to play out with other large companies.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Your patronising tone in saying you will explain it to me aside, I do see the bind they are in financially, but I also see that it is self inflicted by a short sighted approach, and that it is inflicted by having decision makers with very little knowledge and experience in both business and financial matters.

They have left things get to this stage despite having economists advising against many of their moves over the last two decades, and the same idiot decisions will be made year after year with their excuse of the boundary getting trotted out over and over.

I don't see how it's self-inflicted, tbh. The FF Government of the late 1970's abolished home owners rates without ever replacing it. That was a massive blow, the county council gave permission to large out of town shopping centres, that's another massive blow.

Those two things alone did more damage to the city centre than anything the council actually did in the last 30 odd years.

I'm fairly certain there's bad employees in the city council, indeed, I think their HR department must be one of the worse in Ireland, but that doesn't change the fact that they are working under imposed constraints.

If not through commercial rates, how do you propose the redevelopment of Limerick is funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

I got done last week for parking in Ellen Street around 11am. €40.00 parking fine and there was practically no cars in the street. There seems to be certain parts of Limerick where wardens are active and other parts around the top of the Crescent/Barrington Street where they never go. I agree with the other poster. The City Council should install on street parking machines and charge 50c a hour. €2.00 per hour would be allright if there was decent off street free parking but all the car parks are charging huge rates except for the one off the Limerick Market which charges €3.00 per day only on a Saturday. The parking situation combined with free parking in the retail centres outside the city is not encouraging people to go into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I know this is a VERY old thread but just to reassure Belinda and others that the Barrington Street/Crescent/Newenham Street area is a hotbed for traffic wardens.

The only traffic fine I ever got was in Crescent Avenue. And when I was passing there the other day, there was a traffic warden hard at work issuing tickets. They are also fans of Upper Henry Street.

Why go to the expense of installing parking meters when Park Magic works very well? You don't need to stand in the rain or have the right change or be faced with a broken meter. You can just phone in and top up your account with a credit or laser card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

belinda502 wrote: »
    ............. The City Council should install on street parking machines and .............

No, any on street machine that takes coins is far more expensive to run and maintain.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of the parking discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

phog wrote: »
    No, any on street machine that takes coins is far more expensive to run and maintain.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of the parking discs.

Its more expensive to loose custom to a shopping center seeing as the main reason touted time and time again for this is the parking convenience. Discs are cheap for the issuer but not as convenient for the user, that lack of convenience drives peoples decisions away from the city.

Parking up, walking to a shop to buy a disc, back to the car to fill it out then finally you can go shopping as opposed to parking up, paying beside your car, go shopping is far far more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Ennis 50c an hour .?

Try one euro and 30 cents per hour .
    Ennis too is dieing a slow death.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VanV

Limerick is dying, and at an alarming rate.

1. No jobs = high unemployment and no money or volume in the local economy.

2. You can waffle on all you like about vacant units but until point 1 above is addressed, it's a pointless debate. Not much point opening a store in Limerick with 20,000+ people unemployed. The stores already in Limerick are struggling to stay alive, more stores is not the solution. Jobs is.

3. Too many scumbags in this city. There is a sub human race living in this city, absolute scum of the earth, pond life rats. They rear their ugly head at every half decent event that the city tries to run. With their tracksuits stuffed inside their socks and their inbred heads bedecked with cheap Argos jewellery, they are an absolute stain on society and our city. They also now have a constant presence in town, and at weekends in the Crescent. You think tourists are going to flock to spend time among these mutants? The most painful death you could imagine wouldn't be enough for these c**ts. I've no idea how it could be done, but this needs to be addressed if the city and county is to have a future.

4. The Crescent SC is not the mecca and goldmine that everyone here seems to think it is. Every business out there is struggling big time. It's a ghost centre from Monday to Wednesday. It has it's own scumbag problems at weekends. The Crescent WAS a goldmine when it's neighbour Dell existed. Those days are long gone lads, so feel free to start including the Crescent when you speak of Limerick dying.

5. Our city council is clueless. Jobs for the boys. What credentials does Jim Long have to be mayor? None. What business did he have going to China and what expertise did he and his cronies bring to the table? None and nothing. There's part of your problem right there. I could go on. Why hasn't the river Shannon in Limerick City centre been utilised better? i.e. a yachting dock/harbour created to add a bit of pizazz and attract tourists? Why hasn't the bridge been updated to make it a landmark feature of the city a la Waterford? Why hasn't Steamboat Quay been flattened and in it's stead a cultural area of riverside bars, cafes and restaurants been built? The statue of Richard Harris in the city centre is a disgrace, it should be much bigger and have much more of a presence for tourists etc. You wouldn't see a statue of that size in Dublin. The city council are clueless oafs, every one of them to a man. And of course, where are the jobs???

6. It has to be said as well that it appears the people of Limerick actually don't give a s**t. We seem happy to moan and complain but not actually take any action. No significant job announcements for Limerick in years yet not a peep from the people of Limerick, the local media or the various local mouthpieces. No marches or demonstrations for the things that actually matter. We should be shaming the government in to action on Limerick but instead we are doing nothing. It's time to wake up because all the jobs are going to Dublin, Galway and Cork. Even Athlone has managed to attract huge investment from the Chinese. Limerick on the other hand is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its more expensive to loose custom to a shopping center seeing as the main reason touted time and time again for this is the parking convenience. Discs are cheap for the issuer but not as convenient for the user, that lack of convenience drives peoples decisions away from the city.

Parking up, walking to a shop to buy a disc, back to the car to fill it out then finally you can go shopping as opposed to parking up, paying beside your car, go shopping is far far more convenient.

use parkmagic, you sit in your car and phone a number, pick how many minutes you want to park and your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

VanV wrote: »
    Limerick is dying, and at an alarming rate.

1. No jobs = high unemployment and no money or volume in the local economy.

2. You can waffle on all you like about vacant units but until point 1 above is addressed, it's a pointless debate. Not much point opening a store in Limerick with 20,000+ people unemployed. The stores already in Limerick are struggling to stay alive, more stores is not the solution. Jobs is.

3. Too many scumbags in this city. There is a sub human race living in this city, absolute scum of the earth, pond life rats. They rear their ugly head at every half decent event that the city tries to run. With their tracksuits stuffed inside their socks and their inbred heads bedecked with cheap Argos jewellery, they are an absolute stain on society and our city. They also now have a constant presence in town, and at weekends in the Crescent. You think tourists are going to flock to spend time among these mutants? The most painful death you could imagine wouldn't be enough for these c**ts. I've no idea how it could be done, but this needs to be addressed if the city and county is to have a future.

4. The Crescent SC is not the mecca and goldmine that everyone here seems to think it is. Every business out there is struggling big time. It's a ghost centre from Monday to Wednesday. It has it's own scumbag problems at weekends. The Crescent WAS a goldmine when it's neighbour Dell existed. Those days are long gone lads, so feel free to start including the Crescent when you speak of Limerick dying.

5. Our city council is clueless. Jobs for the boys. What credentials does Jim Long have to be mayor? None. What business did he have going to China and what expertise did he and his cronies bring to the table? None and nothing. There's part of your problem right there. I could go on. Why hasn't the river Shannon in Limerick City centre been utilised better? i.e. a yachting dock/harbour created to add a bit of pizazz and attract tourists? Why hasn't the bridge been updated to make it a landmark feature of the city a la Waterford? Why hasn't Steamboat Quay been flattened and in it's stead a cultural area of riverside bars, cafes and restaurants been built? The statue of Richard Harris in the city centre is a disgrace, it should be much bigger and have much more of a presence for tourists etc. You wouldn't see a statue of that size in Dublin. The city council are clueless oafs, every one of them to a man. And of course, where are the jobs???

6. It has to be said as well that it appears the people of Limerick actually don't give a s**t. We seem happy to moan and complain but not actually take any action. No significant job announcements for Limerick in years yet not a peep from the people of Limerick, the local media or the various local mouthpieces. No marches or demonstrations for the things that actually matter. We should be shaming the government in to action on Limerick but instead we are doing nothing. It's time to wake up because all the jobs are going to Dublin, Galway and Cork. Even Athlone has managed to attract huge investment from the Chinese. Limerick on the other hand is a joke.

Can't really argue with points 1-4 but not sure if your last two are all that fair.
    5. As far as I know the problem with access to the Shannon is that it's quite difficult to sail to it. The marina at the Custom House suffers from silting which is the responsibility of Waterways Ireland and the council have tried and failed to get them to fix it a number of times. I assume you're talking about Shannon Bridge. I don't know what Waterford have done to their bridge but anything that would improve the look of Shannon Bridge would be welcome. In fairness though the council are working on restoring Sarsfield Bridge at the moment. And after upgrading the two strands on the west bank I'm pretty sure work has started on the new boardwalks on Harvey's Quay. Just because you think the council should flatten a city block to build some cafes doesn't mean they should. They are clearly working on establishing a cafe quarter from the Market area, through Chapel Street, Little Catherine Street and Thomas Street. As you said yourself there's only room for so many shops with 20'000 unempoyed in the city. WRT the statue, it looks terrible but I don't think there's anything wrong with the size. How big did you want it?

6. I think the people of Limerick do care. Just look at the Local Limerick Heroes and the thriving arts scene. How many galleries are in the city now? Also the Leader has been quite vocal about the lack of jobs and investment in Limerick. I'm not sure exactly how you think we can shame the government into taking action but if you organise a march I'll be there to support you. I do remember the fairly highprofile march organised by the Collins family which was extremely well supported so I do think the people care, but at the end of the day what can they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Another point might be certain well known faces that pretend to be all about whats good for the city but in fact are purely in it for their own self promotion. And its not just that one person that photobombs every event that I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I'm not sure when the last time I read any of the local papers, the free papers don't get delivered to my house (and I'm only as far away as Corbally), I can't stomach to listen to 95fm, the events page on http://limerick.ie/living/whatson/ is ok, but how many people know about that?
    Do we have an email newsletter of events on in the city? As there are an amount of events on all the time that I have no clue about until the pictures appear on facebook. What if we had a one stop drop for people to put their events, like on limerick.ie and advertise the hell out of it.

The city centre is dying, but only we can make it better, we are the someone. If we don't shop, then shops close, then jobs are lost, then there is no money to shop, it's a vicious circle.

I have actually noticed an increase in gardas on the street, it is such a welcome, but if I have to walk past another "homeless" person shaking a cup I'll scream. That and chuggers are what make me avoid the city centre, I hate being accosted while walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I did notice an increased Garda presence in town during the day last week. At the same time there were still loads of scumbags knocking around.
    Maybe the fact that X amount of "normal" people have emigrated, it seems all that is left most of the time are scumbags!

Loads of coffee shops in Limerick these days for some reason. If they could get people in to fill them, it would be another story....

Clothes shopping in general for men in Limerick is beyond a joke. Absolutely disaster. There's an opening there for someone with a few quid who could stock stuff that aren't check shirts or gstar (nothing wrong with gstar by the way). (like the eager beaver in Dublin). Modesty used to cover this angle before, but I am thinking a step up from modesty (no disrespect to modesty, I bought many's the thing there)

I think an alternative/indie/quirky well stocked clothes shop would do very well in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I drove up William Street for the first time in a long while at about 11:30 two weeks ago after being at the new cinema in the jetlands, was very surprised to be stopped by the traffic corps, checked the window and my tyres before waving me on, nice to see.

I think that it is plain to see that Limerick is dying and it is very sad, I look at other cities, Cork city centre, Galway, all very clean, bright lights lots of shops etc. Parts of Limerick is like a ghetto for god sake. The council seem to be a bit clueless. I think it would be great if a group of locals could get together and try organize something in the centre every three months etc, some sort of a fair or something and create a buzz around it to try and get more people into the city centre. For instance the outbreak festival, which includes the zombie walk, get the whole town involved, businesses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Just to let ye know, the extra Garda presence is due to a new shift system brought in at the end of April.

Gardai now work 10 hour shifts with units overlapping at busy times. Apparently the layout of the roster isn't great for the members working it, but the effects from the publics point of view are obvious, given the last few posts in this thread.

Advertisement