Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Dying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I actually like Cork. I just meant that Limerick has a more uniform architectural pattern than Cork. Most of the streets in Limerick are Georgian and of the same height and width however there are a number of narrow streets such as Fox's Bow, Little Catherine street, Chapel street etc. I think part of the appeal of Cork cc is the compact pedestrian feel. Limerick city centre feels bigger than Cork cc to me. To go from the Hunt Museum to the Daniel O' Connell statue at the top of O' Connell street is about 1km and you're still in the city centre. If you walk from the bridge at St. Patrick street in Cork and continue up the street and continue walking for 1km you will end up near the gates of UCC which isn't in the cc, no matter what side of the city centre you walk from you won't remain in the cc if you continue walking for a Km in Cork. In fairness though Cork is a nice city with a quaint tourist feel that is marketed well. Limerick isn't marketed at all, has a bad reputation, Georgian architecture suffering from poor investment and neglect and a council that don't seem too bothered but it's also a city with massive potential.

Fair enough the city centre sizes of Cork and Limerick would be similar enough.As well as the central island you have the quaysides on both channels of the lee and inner city areas like Shandon and Barrack Street and i actually would consider the Mardyke and Lancaster Quay as city centre.I would class from Patrick Street down as far as Mallow Street as Limerick city centre and O'Connell Street only starts showing activity in terms of shops and restaurants etc from the junction of Cecil Street up as far as the junction with Cruises Street.The area around the castle has huge potential.As i said already despite the neglect of the city centre Limerick would still be my second favourite irish city.All it needs is for the city centre to receive some investment and perhaps more garda foot patrols around the city centre on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭Ludikrus

I went to UL in the 90's and have great memories of Limerick. I was back there on Friday night and was pretty shocked. My wife and I had dinner in the French table and were asked for money and followed by scumbags when we left the restaurant. Went to Clohessy's for a drink and had abuse shouted at us and were mocked by drunks who were drinking outside. We walked up Cruises street which was a lovely street whe I lived in limerick. There was some more abuse for us there and a few threats thrown in this time. The Guards were actually there when we turned the corner to head down to Nancy's but they were preoccupied trying to get some lunatic with his shirt hanging off into the police van. Not a nice experience and a really horrible atmosphere in the city center. Sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I went to UL in the 90's and have great memories of Limerick. I was back there on Friday night and was pretty shocked. My wife and I had dinner in the French table and were asked for money and followed by scumbags when we left the restaurant. Went to Clohessy's for a drink and had abuse shouted at us and were mocked by drunks who were drinking outside. We walked up Cruises street which was a lovely street whe I lived in limerick. There was some more abuse for us there and a few threats thrown in this time. The Guards were actually there when we turned the corner to head down to Nancy's but they were preoccupied trying to get some lunatic with his shirt hanging off into the police van. Not a nice experience and a really horrible atmosphere in the city center. Sad to see.
    Im sorry you had to go through that kind of crap. I can totally empathise though as I had to put up with the same level of abuse on a daily basis when I worked in city centre. It's pretty much the main reason why I left the place to go live in Cork.

The local authorities have failed the city badly, the scum now own the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Limerick isn't marketed at all

What is there to actually market or sell about Limerick city? Forget about the surrounding areas, in Clare or Tipp etc. But as a city, it's f*cked....
    Grand if you want a quite weekend doing nothing. But after the "fashion quarter" signs, I'm only waiting until someone sticks up a "financial district" sign somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

surely population of the city has something to do with it as well, whats the population of Limerick 60k, were cork has 120k, if there were 120k living in Limerick Im sure the footfall in the city center would be higher, plus people just don't have the money to shop any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Beaver1 wrote: »
    surely population of the city has something to do with it as well, whats the population of Limerick 60k, were cork has 120k, if there were 120k living in Limerick Im sure the footfall in the city center would be higher, plus people just don't have the money to shop any more.

A common mistake, there is closer to 100,000 living in the Limerick urban area. The city population figures don't take into account the city's largest suburbs, which are actually in the county. The population size is not the problem.

The main problem is the high unemployment, no money means people don't spend, which means businesses don't make money, and have to close or leave staff go. Which just perpetuates the cycle.

The government raising taxes just compounds the issue, add this the fact that Limerick has seen very very little business investment in the last 10 years, and an inept council, it's not hard to see why we're doing so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Even during the boom I don't remember town being particularly busy-there also seems a higher portion of scumbags than the likes of Kilkenny,Galway.There's no festivals that capture the national imagination like the cat laughs,Galway arts festival.
    Despite recent improvements parts of the city are still a letdown.Thomond Park is great but it adds up to three or four weekends max.
    You need to have events to draw people in - have more concerts in Thomond Park or build an indoor venue.
    I also think the job announcements for the region have been thin on the ground in comparison to other regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Even our hospitals are run down. I was in the maternity recently, absolutely filthy, whereas in Cork they have a brand new one. Sums it up.

seachto7 wrote: »

What is there to actually market or sell about Limerick city? Forget about the surrounding areas, in Clare or Tipp etc. But as a city, it's f*cked....
    Grand if you want a quite weekend doing nothing. But after the "fashion quarter" signs, I'm only waiting until someone sticks up a "financial district" sign somewhere...
    It's funny to mention that-if you look up the rough guide or Lonely Planet the amount of pages dedicated to Limerick is quite small.I do think we have been badly let down by incompetence at council level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

liammur wrote: »
    Even our hospitals are run down. I was in the maternity recently, absolutely filthy, whereas in Cork they have a brand new one. Sums it up.

Have you been near the Regional Hospital recently? One huge 7 storey extension to the new section just finished and construction work started on another 6 storey extension.
    As for the maternity, I know a few people who've had babies in the last year or so and none have complained about the place being filthy.
    While the maternity is old and probably outdated, it doesn't "sum up" the state of the hospitals in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Have you been near the Regional Hospital recently? One huge 7 storey extension to the new section just finished and construction work started on another 6 storey extension.
    As for the maternity, I know a few people who've had babies in the last year or so and none have complained about the place being filthy.
    While the maternity is old and probably outdated, it doesn't "sum up" the state of the hospitals in Limerick.

Yes, good to see the new building there, but like the city and the job situation, it has taken year and years. probably the last place in the country to get investments. It's just good the last government are gone.

You mustn't have been in the Regional recently, trolleys everywhere, people vomiting. What a run down hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

sleepyman wrote: »
    It's funny to mention that-if you look up the rough guide or Lonely Planet the amount of pages dedicated to Limerick is quite small.I do think we have been badly let down by incompetence at council level.

In some tourist books Limerick city isn't featured at all and even when it is they always comment on Limericks bad rep etc. I haven't heard of any major crime stories in Limerick in a long time..aren't most of the criminals that put Limerick in the headlines in prison?But for me a big difference between Limerick and Galway/Cork is the amount of tourists that you see on the streets. I can't remember seeing obvious groups of Americans walking down O' Connell street any time of the year in Limerick. 99% of people in the cc during the day are local Irish and foreign nationals living and working in the city..tourists just don't exist. A previous poster stated something about nothing in the city to market...there is a castle in the centre, Georgian architecture (that is neglected),milk market etc ..there's as much if not more in Limerick as there is in Cork/Galway to attract people if it was maintained to the standards of Cork & Galway. To be honest I don't see whats so amazing about Cork from reading previous posters raving about the place. It is nicely presented and has a good reputation but what else. They have no castle, architecture is nice in spots, river isn't nice. Galway is all a facade for American tourists.. brightly colored houses, one narrow cobbled street (which makes it feel packed all the time as its easy to fill one very narrow street) with hippies and buskers and that's it..no substance. You would just wish that the people making decisions for Limerick would start with the obvious changes and improvements it needs..its getting a bit boring how Limerick is regarded as the kip and joke of Ireland still at this stage. Nothing ever seems to be tried or tested..no effort made at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In some tourist books Limerick city isn't featured at all and even when it is they always comment on Limericks bad rep etc. I haven't heard of any major crime stories in Limerick in a long time..aren't most of the criminals that put Limerick in the headlines in prison?But for me a big difference between Limerick and Galway/Cork is the amount of tourists that you see on the streets. I can't remember seeing obvious groups of Americans walking down O' Connell street any time of the year in Limerick. 99% of people in the cc during the day are local Irish and foreign nationals living and working in the city..tourists just don't exist. A previous poster stated something about nothing in the city to market...there is a castle in the centre, Georgian architecture (that is neglected),milk market etc ..there's as much if not more in Limerick as there is in Cork/Galway to attract people if it was maintained to the standards of Cork & Galway. To be honest I don't see whats so amazing about Cork from reading previous posters raving about the place. It is nicely presented and has a good reputation but what else. They have no castle, architecture is nice in spots, river isn't nice. Galway is all a facade for American tourists.. brightly colored houses, one narrow cobbled street (which makes it feel packed all the time as its easy to fill one very narrow street) with hippies and buskers and that's it..no substance. You would just wish that the people making decisions for Limerick would start with the obvious changes and improvements it needs..its getting a bit boring how Limerick is regarded as the kip and joke of Ireland still at this stage. Nothing ever seems to be tried or tested..no effort made at all.

Don't agree with that at all.
    You make it sound like some sort of bad theme park.
    Galway's an amazing city and something Limerick could use as an example for change.
    They have an amazing line up of festivals each year and have managed to attract the Volvo Ocean Race twice in the past 5 years.
    The University and the city really compliment each other while the people of Galway seem to value their city a lot more than we do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes, good to see the new building there, but like the city and the job situation, it has taken year and years. probably the last place in the country to get investments. It's just good the last government are gone.

I was disproving your claim that Cork got a brand new hospital while Limerick was being ignored. I'll also point out that the first massive extension to the Regional was built in the late 90s.
    While the IDA pretty much ignored Limerick for 20 years I think that things like the M7 and M20 prove that Limerick isn't always the last place in the country to get investments.
    You mustn't have been in the Regional recently, trolleys everywhere, people vomiting. What a run down hospital.

I never mentioned anything about overcrowding or the vomiting bug.
    Unfortunately neither is unique to Limerick Regional and both are a common occurance all over the country.

I was disproving your claim that Cork got a brand new hospital while Limerick was being ignored. I'll also point out that the first massive extension to the Regional was built in the late 90s.
    While the IDA pretty much ignored Limerick for 20 years I think that things like the M7 and M20 prove that Limerick isn't always the last place in the country to get investments.

I never mentioned anything about overcrowding or the vomiting bug.
    Unfortunately neither is unique to Limerick Regional and both are a common occurance all over the country.

I half agree with the roads, but they built these motorways everywhere out of Dublin, some of them a complete waste of money. I doubt there was any extension under FF, they really seemed to do nothing for the region, including the airport.

Galway's an amazing city and something Limerick could use as an example for change.
    They have an amazing line up of festivals each year and have managed to attract the Volvo Ocean Race twice in the past 5 years.
    The University and the city really compliment each other while the people of Galway seem to value their city a lot more than we do.

Limerick should never use Galway as an example from an aesthetic point of view. They are completely different. What works for Galway isn't an option for Limerick as Limerick isn't quaint and has more than one narrow cobbled street. Limerick is more grand especially at the top of O' Connell street and should take cities with more of a historical architectural presence as an example than Galway. Galway plays to its strengths and is doing a fantastic job at doing so. But for me as a tourist I would much rather spend a day finding out about 13th century architecture by visiting king Johns castle, St Marys cathederal, browse around the rows of historical Georgian terraces and taking a look at the Georgian House and garden at Pery square, take a tour around the Hunt museum,leamy house etc I would get really bored walking up and down Shop street after 15mins. Limerick has more to offer to the genuine tourist if the place was marketed, presented and promoted as well as Galway. And you're right, people from both Galway and Cork definitely value their cities..and from what I've noticed so many Limerick people enjoy hopping on the Limerick bashing bandwagon like the rest of the country.

I would agree. I don't buy into the "we're soooo liberal and arty in Galway", but there's a always a buzz up there. Same with Cork. That buzz just isn't in Limerick.

So, we have a castle. That's it? I don't see what's so special about the market. It's nice and dandy,but you'd walk around it in 10 minutes as well. It is a nice stroll, but if someone arrived in from England, and had heard about this market, and walked down there, I'd think they'd be sorely disappointed. Saying that, I don't think much of the English market in Cork either, only that it's bigger than the one in Limerick.

But there was much more going on in the city centre ten, fifteen years ago for sure. More shops etc. For feck sake, we can't even buy a CD in town now.

But for all the arty angles Galway likes to hawk itself as, Limerick has a far better original music scene than Galway ever had, or ever will have.

I would agree. I don't buy into the "we're soooo liberal and arty in Galway", but there's a always a buzz up there. Same with Cork. That buzz just isn't in Limerick.

So, we have a castle. That's it? I don't see what's so special about the market. It's nice and dandy,but you'd walk around it in 10 minutes as well. It is a nice stroll, but if someone arrived in from England, and had heard about this market, and walked down there, I'd think they'd be sorely disappointed. Saying that, I don't think much of the English market in Cork either, only that it's bigger than the one in Limerick.

But there was much more going on in the city centre ten, fifteen years ago for sure. More shops etc. For feck sake, we can't even buy a CD in town now.

But for all the arty angles Galway likes to hawk itself as, Limerick has a far better original music scene than Galway ever had, or ever will have.

We all know there's a buzz in Galway and Cork but they play to the strengths which have established reputations that are enticing people to come to the cc . Do you believe that if Galway or Cork had a castle like Limerick that it would be left in such a neglected manner. Same can be said about the red brick Georgian architecture. The frustrating thing is Limericks strengths are so obvious.

grenache wrote: »
    Im sorry you had to go through that kind of crap. I can totally empathise though as I had to put up with the same level of abuse on a daily basis when I worked in city centre. It's pretty much the main reason why I left the place to go live in Cork.

The local authorities have failed the city badly, the scum now own the city centre.

Cork is a very nice city the nicest in ireland imo but it has it's share of scobes thugs and lowlifes as well.I think the main problem Limerick has compared to the other cities is that the city centre is so poorly policed.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Cork Cityslicker.Apart from Merchants Quay i think the river is very scenic especially out towards the marina.The views of the sunsets and sunrises from the bridges are lovely and the quaysides and city centre are a joy to walk around.I think the architecture in Cork is a nice blend of traditional and modern buildings and it has also the english market and the elizabeth fort which is going to be turned into some sort of tourist attraction.

I'd agree with what you say about Galway though.Limerick is a much bigger city than Galway,it has a lot more potential than Galway and as a city break destination it offers more value for money than Galway.It's just that Galway is better marketed and runs a better PR campaign.I think Galway is the biggest threat to Limericks development because there is now this agenda promoting Galway as the third biggest city in ireland!

• Advertisement

Limerick should never use Galway as an example from an aesthetic point of view. They are completely different. What works for Galway isn't an option for Limerick as Limerick isn't quaint and has more than one narrow cobbled street. Limerick is more grand especially at the top of O' Connell street and should take cities with more of a historical architectural presence as an example than Galway. Galway plays to its strengths and is doing a fantastic job at doing so. But for me as a tourist I would much rather spend a day finding out about 13th century architecture by visiting king Johns castle, St Marys cathederal, browse around the rows of historical Georgian terraces and taking a look at the Georgian House and garden at Pery square, take a tour around the Hunt museum,leamy house etc I would get really bored walking up and down Shop street after 15mins. Limerick has more to offer to the genuine tourist if the place was marketed, presented and promoted as well as Galway. Any you're right, people from both Galway and Cork definitely value their cities..and from what I've noticed so many Limerick people enjoy hopping on the Limerick bashing bandwagon like the rest of the country.

Limerick for me is a much more enjoyable city to explore than Galway.There's a lot more streets to explore for a start,the main shopping streets are bigger and if you've had enough of the city centre you can go and see the castle cross the bridge and go for a stroll down Clancys and O'Callaghans Strand.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Cork Cityslicker.Apart from Merchants Quay i think the river is very scenic especially out towards the marina.The views of the sunsets and sunrises from the bridges are lovely and the quaysides and city centre are a joy to walk around.I think the architecture in Cork is a nice blend of traditional and modern buildings and it has also the english market and the elizabeth fort which is going to be turned into some sort of tourist attraction.

I'd agree with what you say about Galway though.Limerick is a much bigger city than Galway,it has a lot more potential than Galway and as a city break destination it offers more value for money than Galway.It's just that Galway is better marketed and runs a better PR campaign.I think Galway is the biggest threat to Limericks development because there is now this agenda promoting Galway as the third biggest city in ireland!

There is no way the river in Cork is anyway as impressive as the river front in Limerick approaching the city centre from Sarsfield bridge. I'm not trashing Cork as I actually like the place but just trying to highlight that Limerick has as much going for it if it had the same level of enthusiasm from city council that exists in both Galway and Cork. As for size Limerick looks and feels like a city (by Irish standards), Galway centre is tiny and is no different to places like Ennis and Wexford and you would know that it was never meant to have city status by looking at the architecture. I do like Galway too but it's just not a city in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

One thing i think really messed up the city was cutting off access from the motorway at roxboro. To get into the city now you have to crawl in the ballysimon road, the dublin road or through raheen. passing retail parks with free parking along each of them.

The city is visually more impressive than it was ten years ago and it does have more variety in it's architecture than Galway.The work being done on Howleys Quay will enhance the city further.Hopefully something can be done with the Vacated ESB building- I thought a Gaelscoil were moving in there?

The castle is criminally underused -can they not have concerts there or do something like Bunratty?In 2006 there was a redbull thing in the Shannon- could the council not do something like that.Also why can't redevelopment happen in the docklands while still keeping the port open.Surly it's possible to do both?

The area down by Mount Kenneth needs to be cleaned up-I'm not sure exactly what but it could do with more lighting.The Nicholas St area badly needs to be regenerated also .The whole are around the train station is depressing and immediately creates a negative impression on any tourist.

...I would get really bored walking up and down Shop street after 15mins.

At least you can walk up and down Shop Street at night without getting abuse from scumbags. Tourists like that.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    At least you can walk up and down Shop Street at night without getting abuse from scumbags. Tourists like that.

You're obviously not a regular to Limericks nightlife because anyone who goes out frequently in Limerick will tell you that rarely do you see trouble in pubs or nightclubs or even when clubs close. I never see scumbags on the streets causing trouble at 3 O' clock Sunday mornings. And I was referring to what the cities have to offer from a tourist attraction perspective not the best places to have a hen or stag party. There was a poor innocent Swiss tourist/student minding her own business raped and murdered in Galway back a number of years ago...I don't remember anything of a similar nature happening to a tourist or innocent girl of her age in Limericks history. People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Very rarely are innocent members of the public targeted in Limerick and majority of the crimes that made headlines were gangster related in areas no tourist would ever have any business in the first place.

We all know there's a buzz in Galway and Cork but they play to the strengths which have established reputations that are enticing people to come to the cc . Do you believe that if Galway or Cork had a castle like Limerick that it would be left in such a neglected manner. Same can be said about the red brick Georgian architecture. The frustrating thing is Limericks strengths are so obvious.

It's a pity that Limk city centre wasn't originally built around the castle and the "old town" and spread from there. It would be nice to have an old town centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

It's a pity that Limk city centre wasn't originally built around the castle and the "old town" and spread from there. It would be nice to have an old town centre...
    Yeah, notwithstanding more modern issues, I think ye got sabotaged way back with the city planning - it took the focus away from the river and the castle.

langdang wrote: »
    Yeah, notwithstanding more modern issues, I think ye got sabotaged way back with the city planning - it took the focus away from the river and the castle.

That whole are should be a jewel in the crown for the city-instead it's been neglected.I hope the refurbishment on King Johns Castle results in the removal of that modern piece of rubbish they built beside it.
    It seems to me that the City Council would do well to look at this thread for ideas on regenerating the city.

• Advertisement

You're obviously not a regular to Limericks nightlife because anyone who goes out frequently in Limerick will tell you that rarely do you see trouble in pubs or nightclubs or even when clubs close. I never see scumbags on the streets causing trouble at 3 O' clock Sunday mornings. And I was referring to what the cities have to offer from a tourist attraction perspective not the best places to have a hen or stag party. There was a poor innocent Swiss tourist/student minding her own business raped and murdered in Galway back a number of years ago...I don't remember anything of a similar nature happening to a tourist or innocent girl of her age in Limericks history. People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Very rarely are innocent members of the public targeted in Limerick and majority of the crimes that made headlines were gangster related in areas no tourist would ever have any business in the first place.

It's not much of an achievement to claim nothing bad ever happened to a tourist in Limerick when no tourists go there. I also think it's a bit rich to pick out one isolated and random evil act that happened to a misfortunate girl in Galway and say nothing of the sort ever happened in Limerick. Attacking another Irish city's crime history is not a stone I'd be throwing. I don't really want to go down that route but in case you've forgotten there have been terrible crimes committed against innocent people in Limerick. People have been shot dead walking home from a night out in Limerick and children have been doused with petrol and set on fire. Unfortunately for Limerick it doesn't matter if such incidents are gang related. That is completely irrelevant. It's one of the reasons people don't go there. I'd like to know where the Limerick nightlife is that you mention because I walked the city from top to bottom on a weekend night and it was dead. Give me streets full of stag and hen parties anytime. You can look down your nose at them but I bet the boarded up shops and businesses I saw in Limerick could have done with stag and hen party money. They are welcome in Galway anytime. You seem to be a bit preoccupied with Galway? And how much more Limerick has to offer. If you think Galway has nothing more than 'one cobblestone street' then I suggest you read a book. I can safely say I know more about Limerick than you do about Galway. The people who come to Ireland on holiday and the people who invest money in Ireland don't agree with you either.

Advertisement