Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Dying?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Ludikrus wrote: »
    It's not much of an achievement to claim nothing bad ever happened to a tourist in Limerick when no tourists go there. I also think it's a bit rich to pick out one isolated and random evil act that happened to a misfortunate girl in Galway and say nothing of the sort ever happened in Limerick. Attacking another Irish city's crime history is not a stone I'd be throwing. I don't really want to go down that route but in case you've forgotten there have been terrible crimes committed against innocent people in Limerick. People have been shot dead walking home from a night out in Limerick and children have been doused with petrol and set on fire. Unfortunately for Limerick it doesn't matter if such incidents are gang related. That is completely irrelevant. It's one of the reasons people don't go there. I'd like to know where the Limerick nightlife is that you mention because I walked the city from top to bottom on a weekend night and it was dead. Give me streets full of stag and hen parties anytime. You can look down your nose at them but I bet the boarded up shops and businesses I saw in Limerick could have done with stag and hen party money. They are welcome in Galway anytime. You seem to be a bit preoccupied with Galway? And how much more Limerick has to offer. If you think Galway has nothing more than 'one cobblestone street' then I suggest you read a book. I can safely say I know more about Limerick than you do about Galway. The people who come to Ireland on holiday and the people who invest money in Ireland don't agree with you either.

I'm basically contributing to this forum to throw out ideas for improving and identifying positives about Limerick as I have a genuine interest in the place. I'm not preoccupied with Galway at all and I've mentioned and used both Galway and Cork as examples on how they play to their strengths and how Limerick has a lot to offer if it took the running of the cities mentioned as examples. I don't know where you were walking but the nightlife area in Limerick is pretty much confined to the area (similar size to Shop street in Galway) around the Milk Market,Robert street and Denmak street and is always packed on Saturday nights. I've also stated that I actually like both cities and have never slagged or bashed the places in a bitter manner in this forum or in the Galway of Cork forums. If you don't like Limerick don't go there or constantly bash the place about being full of scumbags on a Limerick forum where people are genuinely providing interesting ideas and comments about improving the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

There is no point in comparing Limerick to Cork or Galway, it is not Cork or Galway or no where similar to either. We really should be aiming higher and promoting Limerick as the Bath of Ireland, we have had so many famous past residence in this city it is a shame that we don't promote them properly. Why when Catherine Hayes was born here do we not have an Opera theme to anything, and why do we only have one weekend dedicated to Kate O'Brien, what about Andrew Cherry? why don't we have a theatrical weekend? It is all well and good having a statue to Richard Harris, but what about Liam Redmond. I could go on and on.

We do often have great ideas sadly we fall down miserably on maintenance, Limerick is just plain grubby. There is a worn painted advert on the side of the building at O'Connell Street and Cecil street that is so old that the phone number only has 5 digits! Why has that been allowed to remain like that. Most of the buildings need a wash/paint coat, it is amazing the improvement that alone would make.

As I said before Limerick isn't dying it is dead. We need to use it's remains as fertiliser to start something fresh, but anyone who has been involved in any sort of gardening knows you need plant long before the flowers grow and unless you keep tending then everything quickly gets overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Some good ideas from UL students about the Georgian area of the city.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/ul-students-design-a-template-for-a-georgian-city-1-4753290
    I think this area has the potential to provide hundreds of good quality family apartments if the conservation of the buildings was done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

It's not much of an achievement to claim nothing bad ever happened to a tourist in Limerick when no tourists go there. I also think it's a bit rich to pick out one isolated and random evil act that happened to a misfortunate girl in Galway and say nothing of the sort ever happened in Limerick. Attacking another Irish city's crime history is not a stone I'd be throwing. I don't really want to go down that route but in case you've forgotten there have been terrible crimes committed against innocent people in Limerick. People have been shot dead walking home from a night out in Limerick and children have been doused with petrol and set on fire. Unfortunately for Limerick it doesn't matter if such incidents are gang related. That is completely irrelevant. It's one of the reasons people don't go there. I'd like to know where the Limerick nightlife is that you mention because I walked the city from top to bottom on a weekend night and it was dead. Give me streets full of stag and hen parties anytime. You can look down your nose at them but I bet the boarded up shops and businesses I saw in Limerick could have done with stag and hen party money. They are welcome in Galway anytime. You seem to be a bit preoccupied with Galway? And how much more Limerick has to offer. If you think Galway has nothing more than 'one cobblestone street' then I suggest you read a book. I can safely say I know more about Limerick than you do about Galway. The people who come to Ireland on holiday and the people who invest money in Ireland don't agree with you either.

Im not even from Limerick but the rubbish that you're saying just has to be countered.I've been to Limerick a lot over the past few months and as far as im concerned i feel much safer there than in Dublin and to be honest with you i would feel just as safe and comfortable in Limerick as i do in Cork.To further destroy you're argument according to the garda statistics there have been more stabbings and murders in Cork than in Limerick over the past few years!Limerick would also be one of the friendliest cities that i have ever visited for.As for you're mutterings and natterings about Galway there has been plenty of assaults late at night in Galway.To be frank i see Galway as the Temple Bar of Ireland.Full of overpriced restaurants and apart from the nightlife there's no real depth to the place.You'd be done walking around the centre in half an hour!If the city council ever get serious about investing in the city centre then Limerick will offer a city break experience that will be just as good as any other city in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

There is no point in comparing Limerick to Cork or Galway, it is not Cork or Galway or no where similar to either. We really should be aiming higher and promoting Limerick as the Bath of Ireland, we have had so many famous past residence in this city it is a shame that we don't promote them properly. Why when Catherine Hayes was born here do we not have an Opera theme to anything, and why do we only have one weekend dedicated to Kate O'Brien, what about Andrew Cherry? why don't we have a theatrical weekend? It is all well and good having a statue to Richard Harris, but what about Liam Redmond. I could go on and on.

We do often have great ideas sadly we fall down miserably on maintenance, Limerick is just plain grubby. There is a worn painted advert on the side of the building at O'Connell Street and Cecil street that is so old that the phone number only has 5 digits! Why has that been allowed to remain like that. Most of the buildings need a wash/paint coat, it is amazing the improvement that alone would make.

As I said before Limerick isn't dying it is dead. We need to use it's remains as fertiliser to start something fresh, but anyone who has been involved in any sort of gardening knows you need plant long before the flowers grow and unless you keep tending then everything quickly gets overrun.
    Totally agree with you on the grubbiness-why can't buildings be painted when they start to look a little off colour?The River side of the Dunnes Stores needs a lick of paint and the panels on the bus stop side need to be cleaned.Also could the vacant Dunnes Stores be reclad?I seem to recall the Bank of Ireland building ( which seems similar in style)being reclad a few years ago.
    Your ideas on having a theatrical weekend are great.We just need the Limerick Co-ordination office(if it still exists)/Limerick City Council to have some vision and be more proactive.
    I wouldn't rule out the hen/stag party Market either-some might think it's low brow but the further development of the quays may result in more bars/restaurants etc.
    It's disappointing to see the new William St paving covered I'm chewing gum.Hopefully it will be cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

If the UL students had real input for what the city could be in area's, I'm sure they could get enough people to volunteer to help them out. Anything is worth a shot at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Limerick I think is similar to Waterford, where I come from, in terms of its identity and image. Both slow out of the blocks in terms of attracting the tourist market when compared to cities such as Galway and Kilkenny.
    In Waterford's case this is probably because traditionally its been a working city with a busy port and heavy industrial base.
    What both cities have though, is a fantastic, unique history . This should be used to form the basis of changing the public perceptions of the city.
    Already under way in Waterford with a rebranding under the Viking banner and hopefully this will be successful eventually.
    Not sure whats happening in Limerick in this regards but no reason why Limerick cant do the same.
    I used to visit Limerick a long time ago and was always looked after by some fantastic people, including the late Tim O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I don't know why people are trying so hard to convince people how bad this city has gotten. It's painfully obvious, stop fooling yourselves. It's not getting better.

This is coming from somewhat of an optimist as well, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭Ludikrus

I'm basically contributing to this forum to throw out ideas for improving and identifying positives about Limerick as I have a genuine interest in the place. I'm not preoccupied with Galway at all and I've mentioned and used both Galway and Cork as examples on how they play to their strengths and how Limerick has a lot to offer if it took the running of the cities mentioned as examples. I don't know where you were walking but the nightlife area in Limerick is pretty much confined to the area (similar size to Shop street in Galway) around the Milk Market,Robert street and Denmak street and is always packed on Saturday nights. I've also stated that I actually like both cities and have never slagged or bashed the places in a bitter manner in this forum or in the Galway of Cork forums. If you don't like Limerick don't go there or constantly bash the place about being full of scumbags on a Limerick forum where people are genuinely providing interesting ideas and comments about improving the city.

1. I don't care why you're contributing to this forum and I didn't ask. Do whatever you want.

2. Posting truthfully about a bad experience in Limerick city is not 'bashing Limerick'. Please don't play the Limerick bashing card.

3. Three posts is not 'constantly bashing'.

4. If you don't want to hear any criticism about Limerick you should probably start a different thread. Something like "things I love about Limerick".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's not much of an achievement to claim nothing bad ever happened to a tourist in Limerick when no tourists go there.

Well that is a bit strong, and incorrect

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Top-ten-most-popular-tourist-destinations-in-Ireland-for-2012-named-169886566.html

What we get here in Limerick is several extremely busy weekends throughout the year, usually around rugby or sporting events....and luckily it seems, the vast majority of those have an excellent experience...

I'm sure everybody in the city doesn't like to hear of someone's poor experience but we were not on the list of most visited cities 5-6 years ago, so something is going right for us...

What you are hearing about your own home city is most likely not nice to hear either, but it is the experience of more and more people, I also enjoy walking down shop street, but after that I find the city a bit one dimensional..I mean there is such a thing a festival overkill for a start...but that is just my opinion and I recognise that certainly for now I am in the minority

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Resi12 wrote: »
    I don't know why people are trying so hard to convince people how bad this city has gotten. It's painfully obvious, stop fooling yourselves. It's not getting better.

This is coming from somewhat of an optimist as well, btw.

Someone needs to rename this thread. I was in there today at 14:30. It was f*cking DEAD. D.E.A.D. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

The University should have never been built out where it was. Should have been in the city, you'd have a far more cosmopolitan and properous town if UL set up shop there in the first place. Planners were obsessed with the American 'out of town' model of Uni which IMO was a bad option for the city and the Uni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RadioClash wrote: »
    The University should have never been built out where it was. Should have been in the city, you'd have a far more cosmopolitan and properous town if UL set up shop there in the first place. Planners were obsessed with the American 'out of town' model of Uni which IMO was a bad option for the city and the Uni.

When Limerick originally applied for a University in the 1840's, I believe the current St. Mary's Park site of King's Island was the area zoned for the campus.

Unfortunately, we lost out to Galway, Cork and Belfast.

Sickening to imagine how well the "medieval" area and university area could have intertwined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

When Limerick originally applied for a University in the 1840's, I believe the current St. Mary's Park site of King's Island was the area zoned for the campus.

Sickening to imagine how well the "medieval" area and university area could have intertwined.
    Would have been a great spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

If that's true it would have been a brilliant location for the university or even LIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

What a depressing fact..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katicasi

You're obviously not a regular to Limericks nightlife because anyone who goes out frequently in Limerick will tell you that rarely do you see trouble in pubs or nightclubs or even when clubs close. I never see scumbags on the streets causing trouble at 3 O' clock Sunday mornings. And I was referring to what the cities have to offer from a tourist attraction perspective not the best places to have a hen or stag party. There was a poor innocent Swiss tourist/student minding her own business raped and murdered in Galway back a number of years ago...I don't remember anything of a similar nature happening to a tourist or innocent girl of her age in Limericks history. People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Very rarely are innocent members of the public targeted in Limerick and majority of the crimes that made headlines were gangster related in areas no tourist would ever have any business in the first place.

You're so right, I've lived in limerick for five years, i go out three times a week and I've never gotten any grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

8030439917_cc2c51a436_c.jpg
    Numbers visiting Limerick’s Hunt Museum up 20% in January (Limerick Leader)

THE HUNT Museum has witnessed a “significant” increase in visitors, with a 20% rise in numbers last month alone.

Director of the museum, Dr Hugh Maguire, said they had nearly 5,500 visitors in January - a year on year increase of 20%.

“This is a wonderful achievement by the team at the museum and considering it is the quietest month of the year, the challenging trading conditions and the ongoing dilapidation of the adjoining streets, it provides a wonderful spur to match the record high numbers of 2012,” said Dr Maguire.

He noted that many people have been attracted by their upgraded riverside café, in addition to the museum’s programme of events, lectures, talks, and workshops.

Overall, more than 95,600 people visited the riverside museum last year, which he said was a “big increase” on 2011 figures, especially considering that the cafe and restaurant was closed for three months of the year for renovations.

“We thought that would have a big affect on footfall, but thankfully it was not as much as we thought. The Ranks exhibitions last year, and the photographic exhibition of Gerry Andrews’ work provided a huge boost in visitors,” he said.
    Nice to see something in the city centre bucking the trend. :)

Image above by Renewing Limerick

Advertisement