Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people still breeding dogs???

• 13-04-2011 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I mean idiots that know nothing about dogs and think it's cool or want to make a few quid?

Out of a litter of 7pups, my brother took one, I kept one myself, one re-homed locally and the other four pups had to be carted off to the UK because they're not wanted here:(

I've spent most of my night crying and feeling guilty that I couldn't find homes here for them. They are all such super little pups and it really breaks my heart that they had to be sent to another f*$#ing country to find a home

This litter was a result of the mother been abandoned on the bog just after she mated, she was consequently rescued by a dog shelter where I adopted her obviously we (myself or shelter) weren't to know she was pregnant at that stage and by the time it was confirmed that she was pregnant we had to let it go ahead.

I'm not talking about the good/ responsible breeders that want to improve their breed or whatever. I mean the average joes that are just ignorant and uneducated

I recently had "a difference of opinion" with a girl I work with because her boyfriend is planning to breed their pup...yes pup he's only 10months old with his friends dog. It's their first dog and going by what I've heard, neither of them have a clue and certainly don't have the dogs best interests at heart. Why would they do that
    WHY???

Neither party actually WANTS pups, they will just be sold.
    And what if they can't be sold? What will their fate be??

I'm so sick of hearing complete imbeciles talking sh!t about "going breeding the dogs"/"sure ya'll easily make €150 per pup"

It'd serve them well to educate themselves and take a visit to their local shelter and see all the beautiful innocent dogs NEEDING homes...many, I dare say, the end result of their irresponsible and wreckless activities:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know what you mean. People are just complete idiots when it comes to dogs. I was asked today if i wanted to buy a Cock-a-poo, a bloody cocker spaniel, poodle mix. Let's just say I almost literally ate the head of the person asking me if i wanted it. Between puppy farmers, and backyard breeds, the poor rescue dogs barely have a chance. I am thinking about possibly breeding my own dog eventually to get a pup from him, but that'll be two and a half years down the line (at least) and only if his hip and eye scores are good. If not, it'll be neutering for him straight away. There is no profit in responsible breeding, but that's the problem, its the irresponsible ones who assume they'll make money and they go off and breed any old breed to some other breed, slap a stupid name on it and charge hundreds of euro for it. or get two of the same breed who aren't health tested, old enough etc and do the same, all for cash. Sometimes I wonder if we're the only ones who think of our dogs as if they were kids, a woman asked me about breeding her retriever (her dog was twelve months at the time) and I told her about all the reasons not to breed, and then asked her would she want her twelve year old daughter having a baby now, cos its practically the same thing. The attitude towards dogs is an absolute disgrace in this country and if I ever do breed, all of my pups will be going with neutering contracts.

Man, you got me into a ranting mood there.

Was wondering lately (after seeing that annoying Census ad about fifty million times) would there be any way to get an Ad on the telly warning people about what to look for when it came to puppies and stuff, especially when there have been puppy farms on the new recently. Of course, it would never work would it, because the arsehole puppy farmers would get up in arms about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I find it hard to contain myself when this subject comes up it makes me so angry. I was even watching that programme 'Its Me Or The Dog' the other night and this clueless couple had a beautiful husky, they'd obviously bought it because it was a cute puppy and had no idea about the breed, when the trainer suggested neutering he said 'I want to put him out to stud at least once', she was a lot more calm and controlled in her answer than I would be. I know it's pointless lecturing people, it's better to calmly explain to them and to maybe compare it, as you did Shanao, to a 12 year old child having a baby, to make them see sense.

It's so incredibly frustrating, my husbands friend and his wife bought a choc lab a few years ago and every time I see him I bring the subject of neutering up because he was saying he wanted to breed from him, I think I have finally convinced him not to breed from him but I don't think I will ever convince him to neuter. People just seem to see euro signs and think 'we'll have a litter of pups, prob about 6 or 8 and we could get a few hundred for each of them, we'll be quids in, great' and that's literally the extent of the thought they put into it. Maybe the only way to turn them off the idea is to tell them to look in Done Deal or one of those other awful list of ads and see how many dogs are being sold and how the prices have dropped, that seems to be the only language people will understand.

Advertisement