Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning a little bit extra

• 13-04-2011 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of folk I know have little plans for earning a bit of extra income when they retire. As of yet I have nothing in mind and (roughly) 15 years to work on it. I know that I want to keep busy and keep active but what opportunities are there out there for retired folk especially as jobs are a tad scarce at the moment.
    The old fallback of window washing is probably going to be a bit of a strain for some of us.
    Taxi driving has never appealed.
    Light gardening perhaps?
    Web design? I don't think I could face the hassel of dealing with one off clients - they are too demanding and unprofesional, expecting the world with all the bangs and whistles yet being unrealistic with their payment ideas.
    Teaching driving. I always fancied this one. Not too sure how it works out in reality yet though.

We can't all end up working in B&Q. :)
    Anyone got plans?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

How about general handy work? Like anything from fixing a plug to sweeping and general tidying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Bull riding, crocodile neutering (if I still have me own teeth) and deep sea custard making come to mind,

However a guy at work who I know quite well has already started up his retirement project (He retires in about a month I think) He runs a cattery. Makes a fair bit of money from it too, and he finds it keeps him pretty busy. You could start something along those lines perhaps?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OldGoat wrote: »
    Anyone got plans?

Winning the lotto.
    I don't want to work now, I'll want to work even less by the time I get to that age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Got another 25 years to go but always thought I'd just do occasional one-off jobs in the field I'm in now (IT) and as I I actually enjoy driving around aimlessly (:)), I wouldn't actually mind the idea of driving a taxi locally if it wasn't financially incumbent on me to do things like work in town at weekends or do long hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

with 15 years to go.... put as much money (tax free ) into a pension fund, as you can. Your returns are not guaranteed, but if you don't do it, your return is guaranteed to be zero....

Build a granny flat. You'll do a nice one for eu40k & it could generate an income of eu4k+ per year, which (today at least) is tax-free under the rent-a-room scheme. In 15 years time it will be all paid for & you can look forward to a few hundred quid a month in free cashflow.

- give grinds
    - give night classes at your local school

- get a part time job ( or more than one), in areas like
    - gardening/landscaping
    - retail
    - anything that you are interested in/good at & enjoy

I don't know about taxi driving, I certainly wouldn't fancy fighting traffic by day & drunks by night.... but a hackney service might be OK?

-FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

You could do a lot over the next 15 years in developing a new skill - painting- spend Sundays around merrion sq where the "Peoples Art" group hang out- food production - do the farmers markets-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I want to design and build a 9 hole crazy golf course that'll fit on a barge. As I'll never retire from my present job I'd like to have the golf as an aside for the fun, diversion, activity and hopefully money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Rubecula wrote: »
    Bull riding, crocodile neutering (if I still have me own teeth) and deep sea custard making come to mind,

However a guy at work who I know quite well has already started up his retirement project (He retires in about a month I think) He runs a cattery. Makes a fair bit of money from it too, and he finds it keeps him pretty busy. You could start something along those lines perhaps?

I'm only in my twenties and I'm already planning to run a cattery when I retire (or earlier, if possible). People will pay good money for catteries that go that little bit extra. Also, you'd be surrounded by loads of cats, heaven for me (I'm a crazy cat lady :))

OP, you say you do web design, you could do a good website for the cattery. Some of them now have webcams so people on holidays can see their pets. My OH does web design work and I've already booked him in to make me an awesome website. Now I just need to think of a humorous and witty name for the cattery. My parents take their cat to "sophisticats" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

watna wrote: »
    I'm only in my twenties and I'm already planning to run a cattery when I retire (or earlier, if possible). People will pay good money for catteries that go that little bit extra. Also, you'd be surrounded by loads of cats, heaven for me (I'm a crazy cat lady :))

OP, you say you do web design, you could do a good website for the cattery. Some of them now have webcams so people on holidays can see their pets. My OH does web design work and I've already booked him in to make me an awesome website. Now I just need to think of a humorous and witty name for the cattery. My parents take their cat to "sophisticats" :D

could be a good thread to start. Good names for a cattery.
    Fantasticat
    Mog's Place
    and so on. Someone will come up with a good name for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

all you pensioners with free bus n rail passes
    get ringing around all the courier and dellivery companies
    see do any of them want small parcells or padded envelopes
    delivered to cork belfast etc etc
    reckon you could make some handy money and have a day out as well
    let it be bus or rail
    worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Threads merged.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.