Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€1000 Frame (and fork)

• 13-04-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

We have a lot of threads about 1000euro bike, but almost none about a 1000 euro frame. The reason that it's a 1000 is because I am going to use the CTW to get a bike, but the first 1000 is going to the frame. The company I work requires me to use bike shops that are in here.

Unfortunately there are only physical shops, so getting a canyon is out of the question. ( I asked a shop though if it can get one for me..)

So my far my first choice is PlanetX Nanolight HM that comes will all the little bits around 900euro. Frame-fork-headset at around 1.4kg

FRPXNAHIMOD-L-WHI-SIL_P1.jpg

I am also looking at the Stevens Xenon probarly around €1200. The weight would be around 1.3kg.

xenon_fk_red_8__77884_zoom.jpg

Any other ideas around that budget?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well it's a bit subjective, but I just couldn't ride a frame with 920G on it that didn't weigh 920g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    Well it's a bit subjective, but I just couldn't ride a frame with 920G on it that didn't weigh 920g.

Haha true, I am not too fond of the new graphics either. And that 920g don't know where they pulled it off, the frame weights 999g.

There is also the Ridley Orion, but I don't really like the look, and the frame is "heavy" at 1300g alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

2010 Beone Carbon. I've been humming and hahing over buying one of these for about 2 months. 980g apparently.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=626&BrandID=604

Based on previous experience with the Beone their geometry doesn't suit me good, although it does look nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Pretty sweet for £899 = €1008

FRGUKYHT_P1.jpg

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Based on previous experience with the Beone their geometry doesn't suit me good, although it does look nice.
    Tell me more. What did you not like? The geometry is what is holding me back from purchasing. They seem quite long in the top tube region.

The position is too upright and I couldn't get in a proper position for climbing, I kinda felt that was all over the place, especially when going fast. Can't fault it though as a bike, never had a single issue with it.

@kilns: I know nothing about these frames, have you seen any reviews?

Edit: Ignore, I'm still asleep.

From what I heard and read they are very good quality frame, made in their factory in Milan. Well most of them, I think they use some other Italian frames also. BUt they are good quality.

They supply the pro team Diquigiovanni, who ride in the Giro D'Italia each year.

They sell them on the planet X website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Basso Laguna Frameset looks mint but a bit over budget @ £989.95 on Merlin Cycles:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Frames+-+Road/Basso+Road+Frames/Basso+Laguna+Frameset_1877.htm

Edit: opps didn't read op having to use certain bike shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Astra. Cyclonical have some very nice Colnago frames hanging from the ceiling.
    Maybe a bit more than the 1k, but hey it's your money I am spending.

Also the Stevens frames in there look sweet in the flesh but a bit fat.
    Anyways despite the bad rep of the store on this site, I go in there a lot. Staff very friendly and will always do a deal on tubes gyres co2 cannisters.
    See if they cut you a deal on some of the frames that have been in there a while.

Unfortunately the Stevens I like is way out of my budget at 1500e. As for cycleological, I 'm never going back there as I was both ignored and treated badly and I rarely do the same mistake 3rd time; they probably don't like Greeks...! I prefer someone who respects my money.

I might hold for a while and don't buy anything until I found a good deal (which is very very unlikely!)

Unfortunately the Stevens I like is way out of my budget at 1500e. As for cycleological, I 'm never going back there as I was both ignored and treated badly and I rarely do the same mistake 3rd time; they probably don't like Greeks...! I prefer someone who respects my money.

I might hold for a while and don't buy anything until I found a good deal (which is very very unlikely!)

The the PX Nanolight frameset are on special offer down 44% to €618 (in specific sizes):

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXNA/nanolight-carbon-fibre-frame-with-fork-and-headset

I presume the Irish distributor would go along with the online prices advertised.

I briefly had a Guerciotti from Planet-X, albeit a G55 steel one with carbon seat stays. I sent it back for 4 reasons.

1. It was a bit tatty looking paint wise,
    2. The welds didn't look great, especially at the headtube,
    3. Italian thread bottom bracket (design flaw IMO, though I would have lived with it),
    4. Integrated headset though the website said otherwise (design flaw IMO).

I bought it before the massive discount. I might have been tempted to keep it at the current price, but not at what I paid (approx €600). Planet-X were kind enough to take my return after the 30 day period, I think because of the mix up with misleading headset info, which is now corrected. So I can't fault their service.

The carbon ones might be good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Dubba wrote: »
    The the PX Nanolight frameset are on special offer down 44% to €618 (in specific sizes):

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXNA/nanolight-carbon-fibre-frame-with-fork-and-headset

I presume the Irish distributor would go along with the online prices advertised.

Max 22mm tire width!

The Guerciotti is not convincing me for some reason, I think I 'll pass.
    I am starting to really getting into the Canyon but I can't avail the btw scheme with it.. decisions decisions.

A1015857_img_big.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

You could always get the canyon and then buy another bike on the BTW.

Jus sayin...

:p

haha.. i already have too many bikes.. and a gf.. (don't know for how long though if i keep spending for bikes..).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

If you're particularly friendly with anyone in a bike shop you could ask them to order it in for you, then I can't see why the BTW would be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

haha.. i already have too many bikes.. and a gf.. (don't know for how long though if i keep spending for bikes..).
    Tell her that you'll either be upgrading the bikes or you'll be upgrading her :eek::D

Jedi sports have this now for €1199, was €2399.

I love Look frame. My LBS in France stocks them and they are the business

2282_0.jpg

Want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Planet X Nanolight Guru Team Edition €865

FRPXNAHIMODGURU_P1.jpg

LINK

or Nanolight High Modulus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I'd say lots of the smaller shops would be willing to order you a Canyon & do the CTW paperwork if you gave them a few bob margin on top of the online price (I'd say €75-100).

kilns wrote: »
    Jedi sports have this now for €1199, was €2399.
    What's the dealio with the Look Head Fit headset. Can't seem to find much opinion on it. Is it a step forward or back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Neverlandland

That Basso seems to be last years model, and there are only a couple of sizes/colours left. Shame as I possibly would have gone for it!

I probably found a shop that can bring me a canyon!

Are Canyon frames really small or something is wrong with the online calculator?

It says that I should order a 62 size frame where I normally am between 56-58 depending on geometry.

I probably found a shop that can bring me a canyon!

Are Canyon frames really small or something is wrong with the online calculator?

It says that I should order a 62 size frame where I normally am between 56-58 depending on geometry.

I used top tube measurements for my race bike and ended up with a size 58 Ultimate AL to replace my size 56 Addict. It fits perfectly.

62 sounds like a lot bigger.

• Advertisement

If you are on 58 and fits perfect then 62 seems logical, as I am bit taller than you if I remember correctly. I am like 6.1 I think.

I was just in a shop asking about frames, and he told me that biketowork charges him 10% of the price, which unfortunately has to be passed on to me. It kinda sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I was just in a shop asking about frames, and he told me that biketowork charges him 10% of the price, which unfortunately has to be passed on to me. It kinda sucks.

Yup, it's how biketowork.ie and places like that make money, which is crazy really, as most bike shops would be happy to deal straight with a company and invoice them directly!

Unfortunately biketowork.ie makes it much easier for bigger companies.. so they just use that.

Anyway.. the canyon with the shipping and all the trouble will come around 1300euro.. I am very very tempted to go the extra mile (and probably end single) and buy this one: http://www.stevensbikes.de/2011/index.php?bik_id=283&lang=en_US&cou=IE

So the real question comes down to: Is the stevens so much better frame than the planetx that will deserve the extra money?

Right, I went with the PlanetX at the end as I decided that at 400euro the Nanolight HM is a bargain and since I am very happy with my existing SL Pro there is no reason not to choose it.

Question for you, can I (is it advisable) reuse a race crown or I am better off getting a new one?

Question for you, can I (is it advisable) reuse a race crown or I am better off getting a new one?

I believe that crown races are extremely difficult to remove.

• Advertisement

Right, I went with the PlanetX at the end as I decided that at 400euro the Nanolight HM is a bargain and since I am very happy with my existing SL Pro there is no reason not to choose it.

How'd you get it for €400 - they're £699 Stg on the website ?

spyderski wrote: »
    How'd you get it for €400 - they're £699 Stg on the website ?

Cycletowork scheme through PlanetX Ireland ;)

Nice one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Do you have to assemble it yourself, or is the bike shop doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

spyderski, have you placed that order for the Chinarello?

• Advertisement
Advertisement