Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry Uk universitys

Options
  • 13-04-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Have been on dole for two years now am looking too go too uni in Uk would I get btea and fees paid too do this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

smyths wrote: »
    Have been on dole for two years now am looking too go too uni in Uk would I get btea and fees paid too do this? Thanks

Hi as far as I know you can get BTEA subject to fulfilling the criteria. As regards fees it can depend on where you are going. To the best of my knowledge fees are not charged in Scotland but you will be charged fees in English and Welsh colleges and these can be quite extensive from just under £4,000 in 2011-2012 up to a maximum of £9,000 from 2012 onwards.

This spreadsheet has a breakdown of fees across a number of UK colleges from 2012. This is not a complete list but it should give you some idea of how colleges are looking at adjusting their fees. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdHVwQlVnd0ZxQkRmQjQ4NzhFSzJ2VVE&hl=en#gid=1

In relation to support the UK has a fairly well developed system of student loans which Irish students can avail of. There is a lot of information on the govt website Directgov: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_10035218

Hope this helps OP.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

If I was going to England too study would I be entitled too have fees paid alongside recievibg btea? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bwaindead

I'm afraid you won't be able to get your fees paid for you. You have to apply for a tuition fee loan off the UK government. I'm starting a course in England in September, and I applied in February for my student loan which was approved a few weeks ago. Basically the loan does not have to be paid back until you finish University and are earning more than £15,000 a year. If you're starting Uni in 2011, you need to apply right NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jim Stark

bwaindead wrote: »
    I'm afraid you won't be able to get your fees paid for you. You have to apply for a tuition fee loan off the UK government. I'm starting a course in England in September, and I applied in February for my student loan which was approved a few weeks ago. Basically the loan does not have to be paid back until you finish University and are earning more than £15,000 a year. If you're starting Uni in 2011, you need to apply right NOW.

Hey bwaindead, I'm starting a course in September too, but I read that only UK students can get the tuition loan. Must have been wrong. I want to apply for this loan. How do you do it?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Jim Stark wrote: »
    Hey bwaindead, I'm starting a course in September too, but I read that only UK students can get the tuition loan. Must have been wrong. I want to apply for this loan. How do you do it?? Thanks.

Read this and get in touch with them for more information.

You are allowed to apply for a loan for 5 Academic years to pay for your undergraduate tution fees. There is sort of a catch if you have previously done third level education. If you had previously done an Undergraduate degree, even in Ireland, you won't be able to apply for a Loan. Any years of a degree that you did do, but did not complete, those years will be deducted from the total 5.

For example if you had previously done 2 years of a 4 year degree course, but want to start a new degree course in the UK, you can only claim 3 years total of tuition fee loans but you can claim for the second year onwards (so you would have to pay for the first year yourself. The years also cover repeat years so if you repeat one year again the total years you can apply for a loan are deducted again. (That's why they allowed a 5th year, incase you needed to repeat one year)

You can apply for a grant from the Irish Government while you study in UK to help with living costs etc, however I think it all comes down to the University/College you apply for also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Are the nhs degrees fee free for Irish students?

Advertisement