Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnott's Stillorgan

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I am sad to report that this branch is closing this week. I think it is one of few original shops that date from the opening of Stillorgan Shopping Centre in 1966. A specially good shoe shop not replicated in any of the other out of town centres and probably where I bought most of my shoewear.

Poor Stillorgan!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the sales in there were fantastic, always got my runners 75% off in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Apparantly it is to be taken over as an Ecco store. But the beauty of the Arnotts was that it has several leading brands in the same outlet. In town the brands are split between the Henry Street branch and the North Earl street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Thats tough alright, bought some reasonably priced stuff in there.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Sorry to see it go. But just wanted to add that it was definitely not there since 1966. It was Kennys for all of my childhood.
    I can't remember when Arnotts took over, I'd guess it was in the 1980s.

Apologies, quite correct. It is to be taken over by an Ecco outlet but that will not be the same thing as a general shoe shop serving all types and ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Shame that its going.

I imagine a lot of their problems stemmed from the planned upgrade and refurb they were doing.I remember they had about 1/3 of the store closed off for upgrade and it just never got finished and they ended up trying to lease it I think.

Its a shame, it used to be a fantastic store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Its a shame alright, the place is almost like a shadow of its former self, Arnotts gone, Body shop, Golden Discs, LifeStyle, Totterdells, EBS.

At least Donneybrook Fare will give the place a new focus, and Eddie Rockets being extended will be very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Its a shame alright, the place is almost like a shadow of its former self, Arnotts gone, Body shop, Golden Discs, LifeStyle, Totterdells, EBS.

At least Donneybrook Fare will give the place a new focus, and Eddie Rockets being extended will be very welcome.

Has work started on Eddie Rockets yet?
    I worked in one of the above shops and was made redundant when it was closed, and it was no surprise really. That was just over 2 years ago now and the centre was in a bad way already at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

It's a pretty crap shopping centre, isn't it? The only shop I really like in there is Fenelons (which is, IMHO, brilliant).

I'm hoping that Tescos will clean up their store & sharpen up their act when Donnybrook Fair and Lidl (am told they will take the Reid furniture site) arrive.

Reesy wrote: »
    It's a pretty crap shopping centre, isn't it? The only shop I really like in there is Fenelons (which is, IMHO, brilliant).

I'm hoping that Tescos will clean up their store & sharpen up their act when Donnybrook Fair and Lidl (am told they will take the Reid furniture site) arrive.

It is now but it was once a great place. Countless knockbacks on the planning permission doomed the entire area unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Countless knockbacks on the planning permission doomed the entire area unfortunately.

The fact that the banks are no longer giving away money they don't have to fund speculative commercial developments for which no market exists have doomed the entire area.

The fact that the banks are no longer giving away money they don't have to fund speculative commercial developments for which no market exists have doomed the entire area.

Stillorgan hasn't been doomed since the financial collapse, it happened well before that actually.

Stillorgan have been trying to redevelop since 2003 but have been constantly knocked back because of various different planning permission reasons from piping to roads.

The banking crisis is only recent in comparison to Stillorgans woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

and the developer that "owns" SCC looks really concerned about SCC and his other sites bound for NAMA .....

https://twitter.com/#!/namawinelake/status/65531460844662784

:rolleyes:

Stillorgan hasn't been doomed since the financial collapse, it happened well before that actually.

Stillorgan have been trying to redevelop since 2003 but have been constantly knocked back because of various different planning permission reasons from piping to roads.

The banking crisis is only recent in comparison to Stillorgans woes.

Their planning woes are self-inflicted. Other centres had little difficulty in getting planning permissions.

Their planning woes are self-inflicted. Other centres had little difficulty in getting planning permissions.

Considering that their planning permission was shot down most of the time because the roads around the center are not capable of handling the car capacity how is that self inflicted??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Considering that their planning permission was shot down most of the time because the roads around the center are not capable of handling the car capacity how is that self inflicted??

Why did they buy a centre expecting to achieve planning with such surrounding roads and neighbours? Maybe they didn't do their homework - hence - self inflicted

They were refused permission in 2001 and 2003, for a number of reasons each time. Traffic was just one of several reasons. Have a look at the 2003 judgement, where their bad design and excess retail capacity were noted.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/120568.htm
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/201656.htm

They were granted permission in 2006, at the time when the banks were pi$$ing away money to all developers - so who have they got to blame now?

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/214710.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Reesy wrote: »
    It is now and has been for years but it was Ireland's first proper shopping centre and at the time was a remarkable place! My Mam grew up less than a 5 minute walk from the place and I used to go there a lot when we visited my Granny as a kid in the late 70's and early eighties.

Even at that time it was a very interesting shopping centre. The local infrastructure was never going to be right to support a big expansion, even if the plans had been good and there were no other objections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I miss Murrays Record shop, much more personal than Golden Discs. We were quite intrigued when The Plaza opened up across the road. What a lemon that was!

Stillorgan was the first of the 'planned shopping centres' in Ireland... even had one of first supermarkets? (Pat Quinn)

I fondly remember the delicatesson 'A La Francaise' .... ah the exotic smell of those strange foreign foods in an era before mass package holidays and the discoveries of the delights of different ingredients.

There was Bolgers, a department store and the Way In where I bought my first mini skirt :)

Oh and not forgetting Fullers and those coffee cream cakes ..... and Ann's Bakery, merengues and 'gur cake'....

I think Stillorgan missed the boat when Dundrum Shopping Centre was being planned and stole the march on them. Only need for so much shopping in a geographic area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The old Dundrum shopping centre? That place was awful and never a patch on Stillorgan. I'm surprised SSC is still open at all these days.

No I meant the Dundrum 'Town Centre' got all the top shops at a time when Shillorgan was trying to get its redevelopment off the ground c 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

C&D shoes has definitely been there since the start. They still have the same model shoe maker banging away in the window(!) Anyone remember the Sewing Box? They moved over to the Plaza and died a death!

I think we had 5-Star (?) in the spot where McDonalds is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Anyone remember 'Videodrome'?

Advertisement