Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting socket in attic

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I want to put a socket in the attic to move my router/modem/NAS into the attic to remove some clutter from office room. Is this easy to do? Can I just wire a socket into one of the cables that go to the sockets in the bedroms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

don't think the attic is the best place for that stuff really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

M cebee wrote: »
    don't think the attic is the best place for that stuff really

why not, attic is dry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I want to put a socket in the attic to move my router/modem/NAS into the attic to remove some clutter from office room. Is this easy to do? Can I just wire a socket into one of the cables that go to the sockets in the bedroms?

Attic wouldnt be the best or ideal place for the likes of router/switch and modem.

Small wall mounted mini comms cabinet in the office room,lots of them floating around 2nd hand these days for shag all money too..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

EurasianBadger, the attic is where i have mine located as it is the most central place for my garden/house.

As long as you have quick enough access it the attic, (just in case you need to do a reset on it or power it off if you are away for any period of time), you will be fine.

Best off to wall mount you router/nas etc in the attic as the router can give off a fair amount of heat and as long as its a couple of feet away from other wires/pipes/wood etc. you will be fine.

If youre not too up on electrics, (if in doubt and all that safety stuff!) it would not cost very much to get a electrician in to take a spur off an existing socket circuit. You could even get an in line switch before the socket in somewhere like your hotpress or other area in your landing to switch that attic socket on/off to save going up the the attic each time to power it on/off.

Thats the way i have mine done and three years on i have never had a problem.

The other good thing about having your NAS in the attic is that if you ever did have a break in the nas would never be robbed as its out of the way!

good luck with the project and hope my advice helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

why not, attic is dry

Attic can also be damp due to airflow around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

EurasianBadger, if your attic is good and dry with no signs of dampness etc and you are happy enough to install it, then bobs your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's 'old hat' -putting that gear in the attic:pac:

things ain't done that way now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably would not be great for an NAS anyway, even if the attic does not feel damp, a standard non converted attic will have condensation on metalic parts with the temperature extremes that can occur up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Probably would not be great for an NAS anyway, even if the attic does not feel damp, a standard non converted attic will have condensation on metalic parts with the temperature extremes that can occur up there.

I think I'll forget about it then. Can't risk damage to the drives.

Advertisement