Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks like great value for an entry level road bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A steal, I would suggest !

Groupset is basic 2300, though the brakes appear to be Sora, so thats OK. But its a Ridley for under €500, new.....!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I couldnt find any info or review on the bike.

Is it an older model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

cheap alright would make a great beginner bike or winter hacker. looks like last seasons bikes being sold off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looks like a deal alright, on the vid it said shimano rs10 wheels as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So how poor, if that's the right term, is the 2300 in comparison to say Deore LX (what my current flat bar has) or Tiagra ? Is it a world apart for the average rider who has no interest whatsoever in road racing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

2300 looks very much like rebadged old 8-speed Sora when that went 9-speed. That certainly worked fine. No, it is not as good as the more expensive groups, but I have always found the entry-level Shimano stuff to be very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I would always say if its cycling for leisure that your after then go low end on the group set. You're not going to know any different. If you did get on a bike with an ultegra set or the like you'd notice straight off how crisper and slicker it moves.

For long distance / sportive riding I'd not go below Tiagra if you're interested in keeping the bike. I've used SORA shifters (which the ones in the pic looklike) before but the thumb button does get annoying on longer trips. That is purely preference though, I've mates who actually prefer that button to the lever option. If you are racing go for Ultegra + however if you're not then its just wasting money of an excess you could do without.

As blorg said entry level Shimmy gear is very reliable indeed and always good value for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Looks a nice bike for the cash. A great commuter or weekend warrior I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

So would this be a good entry level bike for somebody looking for to ride for pleasure and maybe get into racing? I've never heard of Ridley...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Teferi wrote: »
    So would this be a good entry level bike for somebody looking for to ride for pleasure and maybe get into racing? I've never heard of Ridley...
    Its the best you'll get at that price, but the offer ends today. Ridley are used in the pro peloton, though probably a slightly higher specced model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ridley are used in the pro peloton, though probably a slightly higher specced model.

Yeah, I think the pro teams use carbon bottle cages.

Had a look at one in the flesh, quite a nice bike. One is now mine ! I've been procrastinating months now deciding on what I want but couldn't really say no at that price. I won't be racing as such but it will be used for multi-sport races for which it should be more than adequate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It looks like my brother is going to steal my LIDL bike so I might buy him one of these so I have a bike for the summer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It looks like my brother is going to steal my LIDL bike so I might buy him one of these so I have a bike for the summer.
    Or alternatively buy yourself this and give the lidl one to him, that way you ve a nice new shiny bike with nice new parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Must avoid temptation...

I've found it hard to get information on the Triton. Anyone with better googling skills got any links?

kennyb3 wrote:
    Or alternatively buy yourself this and give the lidl one to him, that way you ve a nice new shiny bike with nice new parts
    2300 is not quite Ultegra though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Do Lidl still sell bikes or was it a one off thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

blorg wrote: »
    2300 is not quite Ultegra though.
    Of course i totally wasnt thinking, when someone says lidl bike the mind just makes itself up.

maybe switch the ultegra to the ridley frame? although a bit of hassle

Lemag wrote: »
    Must avoid temptation...

I've found it hard to get information on the Triton. Anyone with better googling skills got any links?
    I was looking for geometry and all I got was an 08 brochure. Can't imagine it changed a whole lot.
    http://www.sinclairimports.com/documents/rid_08.pdf

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Must avoid temptation...

I tried everything but nothing comes up, can't even find the 2010/2009 catalogue online.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

So, is it worth buying the bike or not??
    Will be using it for commuting and a bit of leisure at weekends..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

YES
    Assuming you are not prepared to buy online from the UK/elsewhere, the nearest equivalent in a comparable brand is going to be the best part of €250 more expensive for a comparable spec. CSS are good to deal with and will provide good after-sales support too.
    I'd be surprised if they dont sell out ....

Ok guys, any tips on how to put a bike together ! I'm reasonably confident but I'm thinking the bar tape will be a pain, I've never done that before, what end do I start at, presumably the ends ? And how do your do around the levers ? There's two strips in with the tape, what sure they ? Very upset there's no dust caps thrown in either :-)

@ ThisRegard: Did they have these in stock In Tallaght? I went there this afternoon and got a fairly flat response of "That is from a different company, you have to order online"

How do you find the fit? I had a sit on a Ridley Orion out there in a medium and Large. The Large was massive on me, Im 188cm.

As BlaaMan says, yes, it is very good value at that price.

Cheers Pete, that's top of my list, I've used it before.

Dj, I actually ordered it online as as you said they're seen as two separate entities and then you can collect it in store. I just happened to be out that direction anyway and checked on the phone with the web sales when it could be collected and they said I could pop in today. Not sure about the fit yet but I'm a small anyway.

So I think that I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. However, I have to work out how to get it.

I'd have to have it delivered to my work place (a PITA, TBH)as no one would be available to sign for it at my place and I don't have a car to collect it from An Post. Now, it just so happens I'll be visiting the Big Smoke this weekend. This may be akin to asking how long a piece of string is but does anyone know if the bike box would likely fit in to either a '07 Golf or a '10 Fiesta or neither? Both are hatchback, btw.

• Advertisement

Cheers Regard, I pushed the button. :D

Went for a large as per their size chart, Im sure I can change it if it doesnt fit.

Cool, we can start a local Ridley team.

Lemag, the box is big enough, no idea about the Fiesta but I reckon the Golf would be bigger, I'd say you may manage with the rear seats folded down, I had to fold them in my own car which has a big enough boot. The box for my small was about 2.5 feet by 3.5 and about a foot deep, give or take a few inches, no idea where my measuring tape is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I've put a bike box in a 3-door corsa with the back seats down and 2 people in the front. No problems. I presume all adult bike boxes are roughly the same size, so you should be ok.

Cheers ThisRegard and Mr. Grieves but it appears as though I've missed out on my size (S) :( Hope you enjoy your new purchase. I'll have to cast my gaze elsewhere for a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thisregard..
    how much assembly is required..
    bought one for the better half yesterday kind of hoping that its a stick the wheels handlebars saddle on job
    please dont tell me its a jigsaw !
    although there is a bike mechanic in the family so its not the end of the world..will just delay things a bit

It's not too bad, just about finished myself.

The wheels are obviously separated with the two skewers in a bag alongside the saddle, seat post and bar tape. The handle bars are attached but turned sideways so they just need adjusting. The derailleur is wrapped in bubble wrap and attached to the frame by tape so that just needs bolting on. I didn't actually have to adjust the gears when I attached it but I may need a little fine adjusting. So that's it really, just takes time if you're like me and never put a bike together before but is familiar with doing your own servicing. And don't forget you need pedals.

• Advertisement

I swapped the brakes around as I dont like the euro way.

Took it out for a spin tonight. Really happy with the bike. Alot lighter then I thought it would be. Gear and brakes are great.

The stem might be a bit long though, my back is feeling it now. Although that could be because I am used to riding mountain bikes.

Is there any formula etc to judging the length of stem on a road bike?

Can't help you with the stem length but is the thumb switch for the front derailleur stiffer than the rear one ? I'm used to the brakes being reversed too but I just said feic it, I'll leave them as they are.

Yeh I think that is normal as there is more pressure on it from the front mech.

Just an update on this.

Went for a spin around the Dublin mountains on this yesterday and I would like to confirm that this is easily the best value bike purchase I have made and believe me I have made a few.

2 months in and everything is still working smoothly.

That is all.

+1
    great bike, the wife bought one and its a country mile faster, nicer to ride than my yoke and her brothers giant defy 4,
    im praying that they do a similar deal again so i can get one...

• Advertisement

woody1 wrote: »
    +1
    great bike,
    the wife bought one and its is a country mile faster, nicer to ride than my yokemyself and her brother
    FTFY :D
    woody1 wrote: »
    im praying that they do a similar deal again so i can get one...
    If they have stock left over then they may very well do so or do with another bike. They've been repeating a lot of their Super Wednesday deals lately but the prices have been higher the second time around.

Having fun with it myself, although I think I may have it set up a little two aggressive. When I see pics of me on it you could almost use my back as a table so I plan on raising the stem. But as has been said, it's rock solid despite me taking it over some very rough roads and tracks.

"+1
    great bike, the wife bought one and its is a country mile faster, nicer to ride than my yokemyself and her brother"

smartarse...beat her by 2 minutes at the weekend so im still marginally quicker..its a bit sad considering ive done 300k worth of training in the past month and id be surprised if shes done 100, could be in trouble for the next one.. nice bike though

Advertisement