Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanities

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for the humanities course in DKIT. Is there any current students who could tell me what the course in terms of CA and exams? It is enjoyable and would you recommend it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yipenyapen

Hey,
    I'm doing the Humanities Course at the moment and really enjoy it. The lecturers are great and really approachable, and it's nice to have the opportunity to choose your own subjects and modules after first semester.
    We're the first year of the course ever, so things will probably be a little bit more concrete for you guys this year.
    This was my second attempt at 3rd level, after dropping out of DKIT's Public Relations course 2 years ago, and I still believe it was the best thing I ever did because this course is so much more the course for me.
    I intended to do it because it was DKIT's only course with English in it, but have found myself going down the Politics and History route instead which I never imagined I'd be interested in.

any questions, just shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

yipenyapen wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm doing the Humanities Course at the moment and really enjoy it. The lecturers are great and really approachable, and it's nice to have the opportunity to choose your own subjects and modules after first semester.
    We're the first year of the course ever, so things will probably be a little bit more concrete for you guys this year.
    This was my second attempt at 3rd level, after dropping out of DKIT's Public Relations course 2 years ago, and I still believe it was the best thing I ever did because this course is so much more the course for me.
    I intended to do it because it was DKIT's only course with English in it, but have found myself going down the Politics and History route instead which I never imagined I'd be interested in.

any questions, just shout :)

Hi there, thanks for that. What you are doing in humanities is what I'm thinking of doing=history and politics. What is the work load like? What's the breakdown between exams and assignments.

Regards

BornToRun88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yipenyapen

Hi there, thanks for that. What you are doing in humanities is what I'm thinking of doing=history and politics. What is the work load like? What's the breakdown between exams and assignments.

Regards

BornToRun88

Essays. Quite a few essays..
    In first semester you're doing Archeology, Politics, Drama, English, Irish history and digital humanities & I think we had 4 modules that were 50% essay, 50% exam, and then 1 module (English) that was 100% ca, which was half essay and half a group presentation & another (drama) which was half essay, half drama workshop/participation/attendence.
    And then it kinda depends on your choices for second semester, but for me it ended up pretty much the same as first semester with the addition of an extra essay for Irish History.
    It sounds like loads, but to be fair they were pretty spaced out and manageable (even if I did procrastinate like crazy and freaked out last minute).

There was talk from lecturers about too much emphasis and pressure being placed on us with lots of essays due, so chances are that things could be changed a little second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

yipenyapen wrote: »
    Essays. Quite a few essays..
    In first semester you're doing Archeology, Politics, Drama, English, Irish history and digital humanities & I think we had 4 modules that were 50% essay, 50% exam, and then 1 module (English) that was 100% ca, which was half essay and half a group presentation & another (drama) which was half essay, half drama workshop/participation/attendence.
    And then it kinda depends on your choices for second semester, but for me it ended up pretty much the same as first semester with the addition of an extra essay for Irish History.
    It sounds like loads, but to be fair they were pretty spaced out and manageable (even if I did procrastinate like crazy and freaked out last minute).

There was talk from lecturers about too much emphasis and pressure being placed on us with lots of essays due, so chances are that things could be changed a little second time around.

Thanks for that info, very helpful.

I'm keeping an eye out for the workload as I'm in a PLC college at the moment for which I've had a ton of work...20 assignments done already! Plenty of stress and assignments in some cases, two being due in a week! The course is CA 100% which adds to the stress as there are no exams to break down the workload. I couldn't do a workload like that again in a course, then again I'm doing Business/Marketing which I haven't an interest in whereas English, History and Politics like in the DKIT Humanities course, I do have a interest.

The humanities course was 300 last year, my points were 330 back in 2008 when I did my Leaving Cert so I might be able to get the course on that.

Advertisement