Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lime wash - Where to buy

• 13-04-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Had a look in homebase and couldn't see it any other places around Longford/ Athlone sell it?

Cheers,
    X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I am also looking for lime for white washing in sligo/north west , hydraulic lime is what i am after aka lime putty not builders lime/ hydrated lime . any ideas folks? anyone know where the OPW get it from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If its any help to either of you, we use builders lime for our whitewashing. however, we mix 1/4 powdered cement with it in order to thicken it and make it stick.

In longford or Athlone Ganly's hardware have lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

reilig wrote: »
    If its any help to either of you, we use builders lime for our whitewashing. however, we mix 1/4 powdered cement with it in order to thicken it and make it stick.

In longford or Athlone Ganly's hardware have lime.

I was in ganleys yesterday and I asked about lime washing and was met with a vacant expression "Never heard of that..." he asked me to get a brand name and come back... Is there a brand or do I just have to say builders lime? What qty does it come in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Xcellor wrote: »
    I was in ganleys yesterday and I asked about lime washing and was met with a vacant expression "Never heard of that..." he asked me to get a brand name and come back... Is there a brand or do I just have to say builders lime? What qty does it come in?

Just builders lime - it will come in a 25kg bag for less than €10 (last time I bought it years ago i paid €5 but it may have gone up in price)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Send me a pm and I will send you the phone no of the guy I buy my lime from. He sells buckets of lime putty, Nhl 5 and Nhl 3.5.

There is a course on white washing coming up soon where you can learn how to add pigments etc. You should never add cement to whitewash. St astair, roundtower, are 2 brand names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Thanks for replies. I'll go into ganleys after work and ask for builders lime. If its only 10 euro a bag thats fine. I have a couple of dressers that I have sanded to bare wood and I intend to white wash them.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Would love to pick up a few tips here too.

Advertisement