Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor tell me Desire HD discontinued?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

WTF? Just been told by Meteor Stores, Newbridge, Naas, that the HD Desire has been discontinued and that they are getting the 'S' in instead LOL. The 'S' is a piece of crap.

Am I hearing right? So what is available instead of the HD.....nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Desire S, Incredible S and Sensation are all coming soon, not surprised the HD is going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

JustinOval wrote: »
    Desire S, Incredible S and Sensation are all coming soon, not surprised the HD is going out.

ITS NOT! Incredible and Desire S and Sensation are not the same line........

.......next

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

DHFrame wrote: »
    . The 'S' is a piece of crap.

Far from it amigo, granted it's not much of an improvement on the desire (will somebody say the desire is a piece of crap?) but it's a seriously attractive handset. if i didn't have a desire already, i'd be very tempted. . .i'm not a HD fan

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Iv had a HD since... the start of december, and its flying for me, i always loved big phones, (the original NGage ...drool.....)

Around january it drove me mad as it slowed down sumthin wicked, but i was told to turn on USB Tethering and take the battery out n for sum reason it worked??

Anyway it didnt have a very long run, but a quality phone!

Back to subject.... Why are Meteor saying its discontinued when it's not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

ITS NOT! Incredible and Desire S and Sensation are not the same line........

.......next

It's not what? Discontinued in Meteor stores? If they say it is who are we to argue?

Desire, Desire HD, Desire Z, Desire S... not the same line?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

I wouldnt be suprised if they have just given up on the HD! i say it caused them some stress trying to source them originally, with customers hassling them non-stop asking them for delivery dates and what not. Well thats what was happening from late October to January.

Could be a case of simple washing their hands of the device.

Edit: Or it could simply be discontinued

Ok rang customer services and the stores are mis-communicating me..

Question: Do you have any Desire HD's in Stock?

Answer: No we don't. Although it is available to new customers from our online store, it is no longer available as an upgrade i'm afraid.

A bit different to stores telling me it's being discontinued and I should wait for the Desire S...

Now. Work amongst yourselves. Thread answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Yes it is its discontinued everywhere. We will have the desire S in the warehouse within the next 2 weeks but will push through the desire'd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Answer: No we don't. Although it is available to new customers from our online store, it is no longer available as an upgrade i'm afraid.

A bit different to stores telling me it's being discontinued and I should wait for the Desire S...

Yea had a phone call from customer service today asking me did I want to upgrade my phone (I'm on a rolling contract), asked about the Desire HD and he said they were discontinued and only selling the remainder stock to new customers.

Said he'd give me the SE Arc for 110e, price on my tariff should be 170e, very tempted

• Advertisement

That means limited quantity available in the warehouse but stores cant order them as. HTC Sony deliver them as they are end of life and not producing them anymore.

Can you please specify wether you are talking Meteor Discontinuing the Desire HD or HTC discontinuing the Desire HD, because I cant find any evidence anywhere that HTC are discontinuing this product. If it is the latter can we have some links to confirm..

Thanks.

HTC,
    And that has come through buying channel's as manufacturers do not make announcements on the fact that a handset has reached end of life.

Stores will remove it from their displays arc as stock dries up but they have no say on what they sell or display.

Or is it a case that you feel that both retail stores and supply chain's are lying to the public to make them pay more by getting them to buy only the new phones?
    DSC_0025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

mooneyd wrote: »
    <snip>
    Well that's rather disappointing and surprising. The phone's only been available in the UK for around 6 months and now it's been EOL'd. I was playing around with my friend's freebie from Voda, it felt like a pretty solid phone and in some ways better than Sammy's Galaxy S.

To be fair its the norm, 6 months is a pretty long time to hold as a top of the range handset. But in Ireland I think the issue was everyone bought too many desire's not realising how closely they would followed by the HD. No opperator wanted to take a total loss on the desire stock that had not been sold they delayed the release of the HD as the desire sold through but sadly it has led to this situation as the sales of the HD were only growing its now time for HTC to move onto new handsets leaving retailers in the position of not being able to restock the handset.

They could have prolonged the life of the HD but with Sony, Samsung & Nokia all with new handsets out or comming out HTC dont want to be seen as falling behind.

But if it makes any odd'd the release of handsets will slow down till probably the end of next quater as lot of manufacturers source new production facilities and the fact that the entire electronics industry has been hit by an almost wipeout of silicone resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Interesting considering that Three have also discontinued the HD likewise.

AS above. Its not the networks discontinuing the handsets its a case that they have run out and cant get more.

Its being replaced by the Sensation. Front facing, slightly faster processor, better battery, newer version of sense. Strange the fact that the lastest Meteor Spring Summer 2011 Catalogue is covered in HTC Desire HD. Strange that there is literally nothing anywhere about HTC discontinuing this product... no news, no rumours, ..Strange HTC are still uploading brand new videos of this smart phone to their youtube channel. I suppose they still have to shift them. And it's still all over meteor website like a HTC rash....I dunno. Suppose were just used to Apple announcing new models taking away old ones.

Strange the fact that the lastest Meteor Spring Summer 2011 Catalogue is covered in HTC Desire HD.
    They would be pushing to sell through what they have and also its still a great phone and would get the new customer's in with it as they have alloted all remaining devices to new customers ONLY
    Strange that there is literally nothing anywhere about HTC discontinuing this product... no news, no rumours, ..Strange HTC are still uploading brand new videos of this smart phone to their youtube channel.
    Nobody really announces that a handset has/ is going EoL as its just something that happens and we all expect. The video's would be more to show that they will be providing continued support for the device.[/QUOTE]
    And it's still all over meteor website like a HTC rash.....
    The remaining stock is all for web sales so thats the reason for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

To be fair its the norm, 6 months is a pretty long time to hold as a top of the range handset. But in Ireland I think the issue was everyone bought too many desire's not realising how closely they would followed by the HD. No opperator wanted to take a total loss on the desire stock that had not been sold they delayed the release of the HD as the desire sold through but sadly it has led to this situation as the sales of the HD were only growing its now time for HTC to move onto new handsets leaving retailers in the position of not being able to restock the handset.

They could have prolonged the life of the HD but with Sony, Samsung & Nokia all with new handsets out or comming out HTC dont want to be seen as falling behind.

But if it makes any odd'd the release of handsets will slow down till probably the end of next quater as lot of manufacturers source new production facilities and the fact that the entire electronics industry has been hit by an almost wipeout of silicone resin.

HTC got slated after CES 2011 for the S line of upgrades to its existing range of phones when almost every other company was pumping out multiple dual core phones which ment they had to play catch up fast so prolonging the life of the HD would have been crazy for them to do.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    when almost every other company was pumping out multiple dual core phones

Agree'd but I don't think we will need DC handset's till the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Agree'd but I don't think we will need DC handset's till the end of the year

True but its the only way to get people with one year old phones to upgrade even tho they don't need to :)

While you still have the chance. with all the 18 & 24 month contracts on offer people's chances of upgrade's will be soon a special occasion

Advertisement