Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Query/CMS/Joomla

Options
  • 13-04-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a multimedia student developing a site for some friends in the coming weeks. The site will be for a number of bands and be standard enough - profiles, links to iTunes, mailing list etc.

They will want to edit content themselves e.g. gig listings, news etc. As I have no experience with cms, what's the best way to implement this? Can Joomla or the equivalent be installed on top of the site once created? I'll probably use Dreamweaver, would it be best to create PHP pages? All input appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Give word press a go. It's nice and straight forward. I think that Joomla can be a bit of an overkill, especially for a person new to web dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Wouldn't second Wordpress. Start with it, get a 'band theme' and customise it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

I've no problem putting the site together myself and doing the php, javascript etc myself. I can update it for them also for now, it's just at some point in the future they'd like to be able to change text content. Is it possible to add this facility later? I'll look into Wordpress, but I'd kind of prefer to do my sites from scratch, thanks for your input though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I've no problem putting the site together myself and doing the php, javascript etc myself. I can update it for them also for now, it's just at some point in the future they'd like to be able to change text content. Is it possible to add this facility later? I'll look into Wordpress, but I'd kind of prefer to do my sites from scratch, thanks for your input though!
    Yeah that's fine if you are learning I guess. But creating your own CMS for a website is reinventing the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah that's fine if you are learning I guess. But creating your own CMS for a website is reinventing the wheel.

Have to agree with this. Build the site in Joomla or Wordpress or Drupal and then try building your own plugins/templates etc.. you will learn plenty that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

If I use joomla, etc. Can I fully customise the look of the site or import my own css/html as opposed to using a template, as a graphic designer is being employed and I think it will be fairly specific how the site will be required to look?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If I use joomla, etc. Can I fully customise the look of the site or import my own css/html as opposed to using a template, as a graphic designer is being employed and I think it will be fairly specific how the site will be required to look?
    Thanks again!

I can't remember exactly how Joomla is templated, but I think it allows full control.

Likewise, WordPress allows full control (templates are just php files).

As long as the DB schema can fit around your requirements, you should be good (and it is quite flexible). Even if not, plugins (either off-the-shelf or ones you develop yourself) should allow to achieve pretty much anything.

Advertisement