Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDog feeding routine

• 13-04-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    was only wondering how often your feed your dog.
    I have 2 cockers aged 1 year old and feeding them twice a day since day 1. They used toVACUum their food very fast but recently have slowed down pretty much overnight, chewing the nuts and being quiet slow and more relaxed.at times they wouldn't even finish their portion which NEVer used to happen.
    I wawondering if it would be enough to feed them once a day from now on amd would it be better in the morning or the evening. Iwould probably feel quiet bad leaving them with one meal a day but if its perfectly fine for the dogs then why not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

some ppl pefer just feeding 1 a day. i dont as i cant see how it could be good for the dog to eat only 1 meal and then have to wait 24 hrs for the next. Are you maybe still giving puppy size feeds as they grow they tend to need less food not more. i feed twice a day and mine sometimes dont finish a meal, i just pick it up and use next meal. thats were dry food comes in handy.
    i wouldnt worry make adjust ur feeds alittle in size, i rather see them leaving some that gobble the lot down at least i know that way they are full and still not hungry/greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I have cocker spaniels aswell and I feed them twice a day - morning and afternoon. I feed them Burns dog food - they each get 1 cup of food per meal. They eat their food slowly and they eat all of it in one go.

I think its better to feed them twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi there,

I feed my cocker once a day.... feed him burns "chicken and brown rice", he gets one cup in the morning (sometimes with a mix of Sardines)...
    he eats 1/2 of it... then eats the other half later.... he usually waits until i get home from work.... but i leave it up to him really.... :D

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I feed my cocker once a day.... feed him burns "chicken and brown rice", he gets one cup in the morning (sometimes with a mix of Sardines)...
    he eats 1/2 of it... then eats the other half later.... he usually waits until i get home from work.... but i leave it up to him really.... :D

C
    would that not be twice so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ours are all fed twice a day. again i felt it too long to leave them without food.
    ours are ready for food at pretty much any time of the day though and even if OH gives them breakfast they will try to convince me they had nothing by staring sadly into their empty bowls:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I feed our cocker twice a day. Personally I think 24hours is too long to leave a dog without food.
    If they don’t eat it can you just take it back up after 15mins and use it for the next meal as another poster said.
    If this only changed in the last week or so could there be an underlying reason for it? Did you change their food? Are they unwell? I would worry if my dog was hovering up the food and then changed overnight. She only did that once when she was coming into heat so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an underlying reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

would that not be twice so?

nope... its once... as its up to him... sometimes he is hungry and he finishes off the bowl first thing in the morning, it depends really if he's been out with his dog wlaker the day before he will eat all of his breakfast... and also if there's sardines in it he will eat it all in one go.... otherwise he will leave some for later... and its left beside his bed for him for when he wants it... its not restricted. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Mine gets fed 3 times a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner :D
    He's been getting 3 every day for his whole life and is thriving!
    I was thinking of changing it to 2 but it wouldn't be fair as he loves his food and wouldn't understand if we weren't feeding him as much :pac:

Advertisement