Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland!

Options
  • 13-04-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

RTÉ Television has today launched 'MasterChef Ireland', unveiling Michelin-starred chef Dylan McGrath and top restaurateur Nick Munier as the judges for the new show.
    1 of 1 MasterChef Ireland - Currently seeking applicants
    MasterChef Ireland - Currently seeking applicants

The programme is now searching for passionate amateur cooks to take part in the first Irish series of the hit television show.

Speaking about his participation in the show, Nick Munier said: "I'm hoping to see exceptional cooks that have a sense of flavour and a natural flair for food."

"I also want to see people who are genuinely ready to change their lives for a career in food."

Dylan McGrath said: "I'm very excited to be part of 'MasterChef Ireland' and I want to see people who are genuinely enthusiastic about food, who want this really badly and who have a real hunger to succeed."

"In particular I want to see people for whom food is more than just a hobby. I think I'll be instantly able to tell whether that is the case. Instinct is paramount, something you can't buy."

Series producer Lynda McQuaid said: "We want to find Ireland's best amateur cook and we want to hear from everyone in Ireland who thinks they have what it takes to be the very first 'MasterChef' champion."

Applicants will have just two weeks to apply to take part. Successful applicants for the show will go through a number of rounds to get to the audition stage of the competition, where they will be competing against some of the best amateur cooks in the country to gain a place on the series.

For more details on how to apply (and terms and conditions) visit the 'MasterChef Ireland' page here: www.rte.ie/masterchef

Applicants can also apply through 'The John Murray Show' on RTÉ Radio 1, the radio partner for 'MasterChef Ireland', to secure two places directly in the audition stage of the competition.

The winner of 'MasterChef Ireland' will win the coveted title of Ireland's first ever MasterChef and a prize of €25,000.

The closing date for applications is 27 April 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Are you passionate about food and love to cook? Do you constantly impress your friends and family with your culinary skills? Are you an amateur cook with amazing talent? If so, you might have what it takes to become Ireland’s first ever MasterChef Champion! Don’t miss out, APPLY NOW for the chance to win the coveted title of Ireland’s first MasterChef Champion and a cash prize of €25,000!
    http://www.rte.ie/masterchef/

Anybody tempted? I was but it turns out I'll have exams - I think I'm somewhat grateful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

HB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Can you enter this if you are a professional chef ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

6. You cannot have acquired any third level or other professional catering qualifications in the last 10 years. This does not include cookery courses.
    7. You cannot have worked full-time as a chef in a restauraunt.
    8. All MasterChef contestants must be amateur cooks. If you have previous professional kitchen experience that the producers deem (in their entire discretion) could create an unfair advantage you are not eligible.
    From here, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I hope it's gonna be like the Australian version of Masterchef and not the English one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eternal wrote: »
    Can you enter this if you are a professional chef ?

nope, be interested if they do the professional version too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Davexirl wrote: »
    I hope it's gonna be like the Australian version of Masterchef and not the English one.

Australian version was excellent, NZ one was pretty good, English one is very boring in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'd love to enter but I couldn't go down the road of saying how it will change my life forever etc. It would be great fun but would not turn cooking into a career for me as much as I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Should be itresting, hope RTE dont make a hames of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I reckon it'll be in the Aussie style, if the ad is anything to go by...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I love Masterchef no matter what country its from. Dont think these 2 will be as good as Greg and John though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I wanted to join this ......................but I did not :(
    I guess I didn't have the [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL] to enter (i'd be a decent home cook , but would not have a wild imagination ,
    so will watch the show with interest and see about going in for it next year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Who in their right mind would put themselves up for judgement in front of Dylan McGrath? and for a measly 25k? McGrath is described as having "difficulties in establishing relationships with his staff and fellow chefs". Richard Corrigan's opinion - I'm deadly serious, McGrath is a muppet, says Corrigan.

Like Masterchef Australia? Masterchef Australia was a breath of fresh air. Two renowned chefs as judges who guide the contestants through the competition, demonstrating their skills through masterclasses. Unfortunately I believe the Irish version will be more theatre than class.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Irish version of anything invariably ends up being cringy (The Apprentice, Dragon's Den etc). However, that doesn't mean it won't be entertaining. A lot will hinge on the production quality of the show producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Entertaining inevitably, but I always felt that the competition between the contestants in the Aussie version provided for sufficient drama without the need to resort to creating drama by having the judges batter the contestants. Lets see if the format transfers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

my wife is in it :) apparently it is based on the UK format. its being produced by the same company that do the irish apprentice and dragons den.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SineadP

Hi Curry addict.

Has your wife been informed she is one of the 16 who will be definitely in the show?

I auditioned for it last week and am waiting to get a phone call no later than Friday May 13 this week to tell me if I am one of the 16.

I'm interested in hearing if the makers of the show have already contacted others who auditioned to tell them if they are definitely going to be on the show.

Can you shed light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I'm looking forward to it, but am quite dubious about how it's done. Why Irish programming can take a successful format and then simply make a cringeworthy shambles of it is beyond me.

Don't really understand why they got Dylan McGrath on, people shouldn't be rewarded for being that obnoxious. (A little I can deal with....)

I really like the British one, but then I've followed it for years. Watched the final last night, it was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ttmd

Quick bump here.

Was looking on the website and saw some of the entries for dish of the month. I am a bit dissapointed - I would like to see the show push more dishes that could be described as Irish rather than contempary.

Do'nt get me wrong - the food looks tasty. But a lot of it has a heavy influence on imported ingredients that we cant produce to a high standard here. I think this works in a show based in London, which is more cosmopolitan, but I dont think the works so well here. I think trying to produce a show that is more distinctively Irish will be more interesting than producing the sort of food we can get all over the world.

Also I think if Bord Bia is involved in this show, they should be pushing the type of food that Ireland can do better than anyone.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i think u were looking at the wrong website as there is no dish of the month on the masterchef website.

the food cooked in masterchef is up to the contestants for the most part.

Irish produce is up there with the best for sure. i dont think irish culinary arts are as developed as other countries, maybe because our basic produce is so good that it doesnt need much to bring out the best in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

When will this be on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Curious Q

Did anybody watch the new series of the Irish Masterchef last night?

I've been a big fan of Masterchef since it started on BBC, so I was really looking forward to the Irish version. I was deeply disappointed with the programme last night. One of the main attractions imo of Masterchef UK was the presenters ability to bring some feeling, excitement and humour to the show. Nick and Dylan were boring, too serious and seemed to be very awkward in each others company. There was no chemistry or flow in how they presented the new show, it just seemed to lack any atmosphere or suspense.

I just hope Thursdays programme will be an improvement...

Anybody else feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Curious Q wrote: »
    Did anybody watch the new series of the Irish Masterchef last night?

I've been a big fan of Masterchef since it started on BBC, so I was really looking forward to the Irish version. I was deeply disappointed with the programme last night. One of the main attractions imo of Masterchef UK was the presenters ability to bring some feeling, excitement and humour to the show. Nick and Dylan were boring, too serious and seemed to be very awkward in each others company. There was no chemistry or flow in how they presented the new show, it just seemed to lack any atmosphere or suspense.

I just hope Thursdays programme will be an improvement...

Anybody else feel the same?

Agree they were awkward, but first show and all that

McGrath needs to get rid of that verbal tick 'Its a definite xx(x) from me'

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Curious Q

First show and all that, yes agreed. Did you notice Dylan seemed to have a weepy eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I love Masterchef - bit disappointed with last night. Hope Thursday is better. Had a feeling that these 2 wouldnt be as entertaining as Greg and John but they may pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

The x factor style auditions were a bit crap on the british version too, Greg and John tried to make it more exciting than it was.

The whole "coveted" apron thing was a bit overdone on both....it's not really that coveted considering everyone got one prior to this season.

Hopefully will improve in the second rounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Yea the 2 judges were a bit stiff but I was impressed with the standard of Food served.
    Dylan McGrath had a painful eye infection and the show had to go on.. so he said on Todayfm today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I kinda liked the non sensational tone of the show - I'm sure it will flow a bit better as it goes on too.
    The standard of cooking was very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'll give the show a chance. At least Nick and Dylan aren't screaming at each other within 10 inches away like Greg and John do.

Why was everyone trying to overimpress them two with michelin star garnishing and lack of supposedly complex flavours? And that poor fella with the lobster-3-way dish. Serious OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Minder wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would put themselves up for judgement in front of Dylan McGrath? and for a measly 25k? McGrath is described as having "difficulties in establishing relationships with his staff and fellow chefs". Richard Corrigan's opinion - I'm deadly serious, McGrath is a muppet, says Corrigan.

Like Masterchef Australia? Masterchef Australia was a breath of fresh air. Two renowned chefs as judges who guide the contestants through the competition, demonstrating their skills through masterclasses. Unfortunately I believe the Irish version will be more theatre than class.

I honestly do not know of a single person who has worked with Dylan who has anything nice to say about him. His staff turnover in malahide was insane, the lad is a fantastic chef but an absolute psycho.

Advertisement