Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eternal wrote: »
    Hello??? Mc Grath was one first Irish chefs to get a.michelin star so young.
    Plus I dont fancy reading crazy long quotes about factual blah blah.
    I dont think a lot of people here know what they are talking about..but to be fair he should tried the sauce in retrospect.

LOL
    McGrath doesn't have a Michelin star. He hasn't in a few years.
    Almost 30 irish restaurants have had a Michelin star at some point, only 6 are at the minute.

The long quote you didn't fancy reading simply proved you wrong. You said every single one went on to be a head shef or restaurent owner.
    They didn't, only two own restaurants, one works in one and the other two aren't even working as chefs.

hmmm, so who exactly doesn't know what they are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

One of our biggest sellers at a food festival recently was spiced Mackerel with rhubarb compote. Flew out of our tent. It's a classic combo, also you can try it with gooseberries too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

sdeire wrote: »
    Judges are upper-class idiots

This is funny considering that Dylan comes from probably the roughest estate in belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just caught up on Episode 3 last night - couldn't argue with the 4 who got sent home. The salmon & chocolate thing was bizarre, and although I felt sorry for the contestant who didn't plate her food, it was still her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Maybe its just me but for an amateur cooking contest these guys are trying to be very ambitious - whatever happened to good old basic food. I know its a competition and they are looking for restaurant quality but its only the first round!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

dudara wrote: »
    Just caught up on Episode 3 last night - although I felt sorry for the contestant who didn't plate her food, it was still her fault.

it was very harsh imho

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

it was very harsh imho

It would be harsh on the rest of the contestants if the rules were disregarded imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

my wife is in it :) apparently it is based on the UK format. its being produced by the same company that do the irish apprentice and dragons den.

Is she still in it? What's Dylan and Nick really like

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I felt sorry for the contestant who didn't plate her food, it was still her fault.

+1

She was devastated. Because she knew straight away that not having plated up in time meant she was out. And because she knew her food would have put her through to the next round.

it doesnt really happen as you see it it on TV. there are a lot or repeat out takes and its heavily edited, most of it is not in real time, scenes are shot out of sequence. the announcements were not as you see on TV and not all real time either :) its a very ambigious confusing noisey enviroment.
    great job by the production team tho and makes good telly!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    +1

She was devastated. Because she knew straight away that not having plated up in time meant she was out. And because she knew her food would have put her through to the next round.

She claimed she didn't hear it. But even so, she would have seen the others plating, or she should have been using a timer. So no real excuses.

Episode 4 last night was pretty enjoyable. I think it's beginning to find its groove now.
    Barry and Grant
    leaving were fair departures. There are still several weaker cooks left in the mix, but the stars are starting to emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

it doesnt really happen as you see it it on TV. there are a lot or repeat out takes and its heavily edited, most of it is not in real time, scenes are shot out of sequence. the announcements were not as you see on TV and not all real time either :) its a very ambigious confusing noisey enviroment.
    great job by the production team tho and makes good telly!

How is the food still hot when the judges eat it? It's one thing I really don't understand. If 16 people finish cooking at the same time there's no possible way that when they eat dish 16 that it's still warm?!

no excuses just facts :) timers etc were not alowed, no clock on display. camera crews production teams and 16 people cooking in a large room all with different agendas, test announcements out of time etc. lots of scope for confusion and error.

when the contestants finished plating they were ushered out of the room immediately. other scenes are then shot and they return to the room 1.5 hours later for the "tasting". this involved a 5min filmed converstaion with the judges for each contestant with fake tasting lol.

all this is then edited to what you see on tv. all totally understandable as this is how a good neat production is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Weird. So when do the judges actually taste the food? The plates look untouched when they eat them in front of the contestants!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Is the food hot or cold then when the judges taste it, great to hear how it's all done

Newaglish wrote: »
    Weird. So when do the judges actually taste the food? The plates look untouched when they eat them in front of the contestants!

its all in the edit :) they edit in a shot of the food untouched.

in a 10 second sequence of film like this, each second can be shot individually totally out of sequence and then edited to any sequence you like.
    for example a shot of nick tasing a piece of food could be done with just him in the room tasting a spoon of food. you only actually see him in the shot. then a shot of the contestants reaction can be edited in etc. its very slickly done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I felt last night that the show fecked up the winners/loser section.

Firslty they announced the 4 people who excelled - grand.

Then the next 4 people who got an explanation of what went wrong and what to improve.

Then the 4 last place people were just told you 2 are in you 2 are out, no constructive crtisism for them (and me!).

Otherwise i am really enjoying the series. :D

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Is the food hot or cold then when the judges taste it, great to hear how it's all done

when the food is plated the contestants are ushered out. the production team then need to get a couple of seconds shot of each dish untouched. this would take quite a bit of time. then, i would imagine it would be tasted by the judges. the judges also have a copy of the recipe and can watch the contestants while they cook so they will have already formed opinions and know what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Episode 4 last night was pretty enjoyable. I think it's beginning to find its groove now.
    Barry and Grant
    leaving were fair departures.

Bloody hell, you need to use spoilers :eek: I (and no doubt others reading here) have not seen Episode 4 yet.

Apologies - didn't really think of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

looks like Mary is gonna be the winner at this stage already! Dunno though is she really that much better than all the rest of them that she is coasting through the rounds so easily or is is it cos she is a stunner and has taken the lads fancy? ;) yer man . looking forward to seeing him knocked out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

What I don't get is so far they haven't been shown any skills or taught anything, they've just had to come up with their own ideas and cook that. I thought with the Australian one they had a Master Class each week and had to show off what they had learned. That to me makes much more sense. And as for Dylan not tasting the strawberry and onion sauce, I thought that was very unfair. As other people have said, just because you know what individual ingredients taste like doesn't mean you know what they'll taste like when combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I just watched Tuesday's episode... and what I want to know is HOW do you get invited to go eat those canapés? I would have loved that :) Every single one sounded appealing to me. I thought the 'French' dishes in the cook-off were a huge disappointment, really - nothing made me want to taste it.

Having said that, I'd be totally flummoxed if faced with those ingredients - they would have ended up with fish 'n chips with a sprinkling of chervil - not that I've ever cooked with chervil, but hey, it sounds French :)

What would you have cooked?

Sad to see the one who went, go. I liked that person, thought they had potential, but would have felt sad if any of the others had gone, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

the show is stiff, humourless and boring

Watched tuesday nights one last night. I was very under impressed with the voting system for the teams. The teams made the canapes as per the chefs instruction, he even tasted them and approved them! each team made different canapes. The guests tasted them and voted on which they prefered, (remember, these were made to the chefs recipe and instruction and approval). The result was no indication of how either team performed, the guests voted on the chefs canapes and which set of 5 they preferred, it was luck depending on which team you got in and if your food was not up to scratch it would not have made it out.

The chef should have made the decision on who was able to follow instruction best and imitate his recipe, in which case the small one should have gone (IMO).

Also, I think they are in love with Mary, big smiles for her everytime! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One thing that seems absent that is in the UK one is the skills tests; boning a fish, identifying ingredients, and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Terrible show, the gold leaf gravy was off the wall. It seems to be more about exotic and weird combinations than how good of a chef they are. Pretencious twaddle, seems the programme is 4 years too late.

^^^^^^^ I enjoy it, it's not as good as the English version I agree, but for me it beats the apprentice, dragoons den, deal or no deal, etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Terrible show, the gold leaf gravy was off the wall. It seems to be more about exotic and weird combinations than how good of a chef they are. Pretencious twaddle, seems the programme is 4 years too late.

The gold leaf gravy lad was shown the door fairly quickly, which was good. What weird combinations have actually made it through?

I think it's good, not as good as the English one but still enjoyable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Guill wrote: »
    Watched tuesday nights one last night. I was very under impressed with the voting system for the teams. The teams made the canapes as per the chefs instruction, he even tasted them and approved them! each team made different canapes. The guests tasted them and voted on which they prefered,

I only said to OH while we were watching it that, for the judging to be truly objective, both teams should have cooked the same thing.
    TTWNF wrote: »
    looks like Mary is gonna be the winner at this stage... is is it cos she is a stunner

You're having a giraffe, right?

Advertisement