Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

Just a couple of points of information

Timers were allowed - a watch! I used a stopwatch and it was essential because yes it was very loud in there

Tastings are done cold. We plated up the food, the stations were cleaned down, we came back in about 30 minutes later and Nick and Dylan tasted the food in front of us. The dish was untouched before we brought it up. The tasting process took about an hour.

Most of that episode was shot in sequence except for the interview cutaways, we did many interviews so comments could be pulled from any number of them.

@curry addict, wondering if you're wife is Jackie? Lovely lady if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Everyone's gone very quiet on this topic - you all still watching? I am (if a bit later than the broadcast date, due to not having a telly!). Anyhoo - what did you think of the pastry episode?

For me, that would have been my worst nightmare - I don't get at all excited about sweet dishes, nor do I relish the idea of following someone else's recipe to the letter (although I can see that you'd have to in a situation such as a professional kitchen turning out consistent items). Having said that - they had HOURS to get their dishes done, and some of them went almost 2 hours over the allotted time? I got the feeling that there was a lot of stuff we didn't get to see.

I'm still thinking that the producers are missing their target audience - foodies are the people who will be watching, and yet we get only minimal info about the food (unless we go look up the recipes afterwards). More emphasis on the techniques and ingredients would be an improvement - anyone got any thoughts about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The set up is very strange. It's like neither Oz or UK imo. Some parts are interesting enough but it comes across like most of the contestants have a very weak food/technique knowledge. Surely a few masterclasses like Oz or cook a Torode recipe like UK would have been a good audience catcher. Last week's episodes put me off watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Darkginger wrote: »
    I'm still thinking that the producers are missing their target audience - foodies are the people who will be watching, and yet we get only minimal info about the food (unless we go look up the recipes afterwards). More emphasis on the techniques and ingredients would be an improvement - anyone got any thoughts about this?

+1. The earlier section with the Cadeaux de Chocolat had precisely feck all info on the methods - would loved to have seen chocolate tempering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The master class on tues night was pi55 poor, showed us nothing. To me it seems like the Irish producers have completely missed what makes master chef a good show and are just concentrating on eliminations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Where is that Asian Supermarket located? Ta

P.S did we really need to see the long cam shot of the builders bum?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

The asian supermarket is on the Fonthill Rd in Clondalkin next to Power City.

And no we really didn't need to see the builders bum... twice! You'd never see that kind of thing on the UK/Aus version which I have to say, I find much more interesting, entertaining and professional. As someone else pointed out, the Irish version seems to be focused more on the negative aspects like eliminations, poor performances from the contestants and builders bums. I can't think of anything food or cooking related that I've learned from this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Miss OMMC wrote: »
    I can't think of anything food or cooking related that I've learned from this show.

Have to say I agree. Watched it last night and there doesnt seem to be much cooking - well not as much as they show on the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Dovies wrote: »
    Have to say I agree. Watched it last night and there doesnt seem to be much cooking - well not as much as they show on the UK one.

and when they do cook the standard seems to be pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rspeedie wrote: »
    Just a couple of points of information

Timers were allowed - a watch! I used a stopwatch and it was essential because yes it was very loud in there

Tastings are done cold. We plated up the food, the stations were cleaned down, we came back in about 30 minutes later and Nick and Dylan tasted the food in front of us. The dish was untouched before we brought it up. The tasting process took about an hour.
    Just a point on this; I can't remember if it was the Irish one or the UK one, but I saw some people being lambasted for their toast not being crispy. It's a bit rich to be saying that after 30 minutes when the toast's stone cold, and has been soaking up whatever sauce it's served with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

there seems to be a lot more bad dishes being served up for this stage in the competition compared with UK or Oz.

Maybe being the first series it will attrack more entrants next year but it definitely needs a revamp if they are to get a second season. No new or original ideas added to this version. Anyone see the oz knockout round where they had the losing team in a cookoff against each other for 10,15 and 20mins with worst cook left at the end, thought that was a very good/fair test

Maybe a judge who is trying to develop their talents instead of being up their own ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

Bit off the topic but did anybody notice the piece of rope tied to the door to open it when they are walking out after being told they were through?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Mmmmmm, John Burton Race on Tuesday night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

That brigid loves herself.i feel physically sick listening to her bigging herself up.oh I rode to electric picnic im so fuking annoying.
    She makes doe eyes at all the head chefs.she makes being a female chef wrong imo.
    Im just thinking of going into work going on lke her.you might get laid but you wouldnt get much respect.
    I think the dark haired girl should win.shes the nicest and most consistent.
    Still love to work with mcGrath !
    Why is everyone saying dylan is a prick.he seems lovely
    Mary is pretty in all fairness.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Where is that Asian Supermarket located? Ta

P.S did we really need to see the long cam shot of the builders bum?
    Ha its funny when youre in the kitchen all you see are hairy arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

eternal wrote: »
    That brigid loves herself

Try it! Love yourself, be confident in your own ability, you need to believe in yourself first if you expect others to.
    She makes doe eyes at all the head chefs..
    ? Doe eyes? Please. Try working under that sort of pressure in that type of environment and you'd be next to tears half the time too. Pressure like that impacts different people differently.
    she makes being a female chef wrong imo..

Ridiculous, though our boobs could fit better in the jackets and there's a little too much ball room in the trousers. Apart from that there's great equality in the business. We are equal in every area that matters.
    Im just thinking of going into work going on lke her.you might get laid but you wouldnt get much respect..

The chef environment is well, heated enough already quite frankly. Getting laid wont get you respect, wont make your life easier and wont win you friends. Just because someone has an out going, perhaps flirtatious personality does not make them an easy lay.
    I think the dark haired girl should win.shes the nicest..

Oh yeah, nice really cuts it in the kitchen.

...and pretty too. Forgot how useful that is.

Masterchef, it's first Irish run. Not fantastic but entertaining all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

That brigid loves herself.i feel physically sick listening to her bigging herself up.oh I rode to electric picnic im so fuking annoying.
    She makes doe eyes at all the head chefs.she makes being a female chef wrong imo.
    Im just thinking of going into work going on lke her.you might get laid but you wouldnt get much respect.
    Still love to work with mcGrath !
    Why is everyone saying dylan is a prick.he seems lovely

It's Bridín. And I love how if you're a woman who is in any way confident in yourself you're automatically labelled as uppity. She's confident, so she's written off as conceited.

Mary goes to pieces every week, and everyone loves her.

I know who I'd rather have in my kitchen if I was a restauranteur.

themadchef wrote: »
    Try it! Love yourself, be confident in your own ability, you need to believe in yourself first if you expect others to.

? Doe eyes? Please. Try working under that sort of pressure in that type of environment and you'd be next to tears half the time too. Pressure like that impacts different people differently.

Ridiculous, though our boobs could fit better in the jackets and there's a little too much ball room in the trousers. Apart from that there's great equality in the business. We are equal in every area that matters.

The chef environment is well, heated enough already quite frankly. Getting laid wont get you respect, wont make your life easier and wont win you friends. Just because someone has an out going, perhaps flirtatious personality does not make them an easy lay.

Oh yeah, nice really cuts it in the kitchen.

...and pretty too. Forgot how useful that is.

Masterchef, it's first Irish run. Not fantastic but entertaining all the same.

Im a feamle chef so your point is moot.
    I am also attractive but dont use it ,instead I use my ability.Plus I worked in one place where I was treated different because I didnt sleep around like all the others around me .I am not lieing here ,most the women were easy .they couldnt understand why I wasnt the same .
    I went through hell training to be a chef ,it wasnt made easy for me .I stand by what I say ,I think Brigid loves herself but Mary is better looking but doesnt use it.

I am also attractive but dont use it ,instead I use my ability.

Oh really. Well, as a female head chef, running a business for over a decade, respectfully my point is very valid. Your view on your own appearance is just that, your own view. It matter not a jot when the dish hits the pass how good you look. Admire yourself at will at home, and i certainly hope your "ability" in the kitchen isint reflective of your post above or i'd hate to be a female colleague of yours.

Women who show strength, and ability to adapt deserve to climb the ladder. Women who berate other women, and imply that the only way they'd get ahead in the world is on their backs should hang their head in shame.

It's tough in business, great female chefs dont deal in fluffy eye lash batting but there's no harm having the craic. There has to be a certain amount of comradeship and light hearted fun or work would be a very dull place indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Do you mean Christine?

• Advertisement

I am also attractive but dont use it ,instead I use my ability.

Oh really. Well, as a female head chef, running a business for over a decade, respectfully my point is very valid. Your view on your own appearance is just that, your own view. It matter not a jot when the dish hits the pass how good you look. Admire yourself at will at home, and i certainly hope your "ability" in the kitchen isint reflective of your post above or i'd hate to be a female colleague of yours.

Women who show strength, and ability to adapt deserve to climb the ladder. Women who berate other women, and imply that the only way they'd get ahead in the world is on their backs should hang their head in shame.

It's tough in business, great female chefs dont deal in fluffy eye lash batting but there's no harm having the craic. There has to be a certain amount of comradeship and light hearted fun or work would be a very dull place indeed.
    Im not arguing with you.m saying you dont have to make doe eyes at everythig that walks.and youre on about having confidence yet you have a problem with me saying im attractive ? Makes no sense then you say have confidence in your ability and when I said I did you have a problem with that.

Plus I worked in one place where I was treated different because I didnt sleep around like all the others around me .I am not lieing here ,most the women were easy .they couldnt understand why I wasnt the same .

Respectfully, the same can be said for anyone. A barmaid, office worker, Garda, nurse! Your personal choices should have no bearing on your career. There are rules in place to ensure that. Sexual harrasment at work etc.

What exactly has that got to do with being a chef, specifically ?

Arianna_26 wrote: »

Do you mean Christine?
    yeah sorry im bad with details.i posted before I saw her leave.i meant I thought she should win cos she was very organised in the kitchen,never freaking out.very balanced.she looked at home cooking.sh handled pressure the best.theres no way she should have gone.

Plus I worked in one place where I was treated different because I didnt sleep around like all the others around me .I am not lieing here ,most the women were easy .they couldnt understand why I wasnt the same .

Respectfully, the same can be said for anyone. A barmaid, office worker, Garda, nurse! Your personal choices should have no bearing on your career. There are rules in place to ensure that. Sexual harrasment at work etc.

What exactly has that got to do with being a chef, specifically ?
    There were no rules where I worked.i had to listen to how the male chefs masturbated in gross detail.yeah was a ball.

yeah sorry im bad with details.i posted before I saw her leave.i meant I thought she should win cos she was very organised in the kitchen,never freaking out.very balanced.she looked at home cooking.sh handled pressure the best.theres no way she should have gone.

I don't think she should have gone either.

She was so consistent all the way through and then she makes a mistake by 'marrying' a dish together and, despite the fact that all the components were cooked perfectly, they get rid of her.

I don't care who wins now because I think it's contrived.

Arianna_26 wrote: »

I don't think she should have gone either.

She was so consistent all the way through and then she makes a mistake by 'marrying' a dish together and, despite the fact that all the components were cooked perfectly, they get rid of her.

I don't care who wins now because I think it's contrived.
    Yeah someone agrees !
    Shell get a job as a chef and do great anyway.I have doubts about urman prepping fish in the dessert area.he hasnt a hope.wasnt he the guy who couldnt cook the lamb.he should have gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Honey-ec wrote: »

This is what I don't understand. Have to confess that I've only dipped into this series, but every time I watch it, Mary looks like she's about to have a canary, and - to my eyes - Nick & Dylan focus more attention on assuring her than critiquing her food.

How does that work in a professional kitchen? If a paying customer gets an overcooked steak, will the waiter be tasked with explaining that the chef is actually very gifted, and just lost track of the time on the customer's dish.

Yeah someone agrees !
    Shell get a job as a chef and do great anyway.I have doubts about urman prepping fish in the dessert area.he hasnt a hope.wasnt he the guy who couldnt cook the lamb.he should have gone

I think their reason for not getting rid of Mike was that he cooked Dylan's dish the best.
    It was really a choice between Bridin and Christine and they chose to keep the kiss-up.

Honey-ec wrote: »

This is what I don't understand. Have to confess that I've only dipped into this series, but every time I watch it, Mary looks like she's about to have a canary, and - to my eyes - Nick & Dylan focus more attention on assuring her than critiquing her food.

How does that work in a professional kitchen? If a paying customer gets an overcooked steak, will the waiter be tasked with explaining that the chef is actually very gifted, and just lost track of the time on the customer's dish.
    I loved the head chef in the Shelbourne,he took no guff.Class

• Advertisement

There is no way Mary would last in a professional kitchen imo. Every week it's the same thing with her - freaking out because of the pressure of presenting one dish.

Advertisement