Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Glad you enjoyed your visit KM88. The more people we get like you with a positive view of our city the better.

With regard to the buses I was talking to an Engineer the other night and the reason why they suspend the buses is purely on Safety grounds and it's the Gardai who make the call. Basically there are 1000 bus seats available at any one time and you would have potentially a dangerous situation when the events finish with thousands all of a sudden heading for the buses as happened in 2005.

But as far as I know they didnt suspend them last night but I'm sure tonight and tomorrow night will be a different story.

Just a sidenote I wonder will we see a reduction in the prices of take away food from the traders there today as a result of the new 9% Vat rate that comes into effect today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Just a sidenote I wonder will we see a reduction in the prices of take away food from the traders there today as a result of the new 9% Vat rate that comes into effect today.

I very much doubt it, while Enda has requested for business to pass on the saving there is no obligation to do so so they'll keep the extra money now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

went in myself at around 4pm, got keneallys bus as far as the park and walked the rest of the way, we got to the quays just as all the fireworks went off, some echoes between the buildings off those, wwe went round the back of the tower and as we did so an airplane did a fly past all the way down the quay, and we didnt have the cameras out lol, we saw he was banking so got them out then and caught him coming back the way.

Next we walked someways down the quay and was snapping away like a good thing, and came back to the plaza to hear the first 2 bands play, they were way behind schedule on the stage with sound checks etc etc, we were only really there to see see The Whole Shabang, who were playing there first and possibly last concert after reforming after 14-15 years, and they didnt disappoint, played a storming set got everyone up clapping and dancing etc etc, after they were finished we walked back down the quay crossed the bridge and went snapping away at all the ships that side

We came back then and went home thouroughly enjoyed it, for anyone that hasnt been I recommend it wholeheartedly was brilliant

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

KM88 wrote: »
    In the whole day, I saw nothing contentious except for one stall-holder on the South Quay who accosted someone for taking a photo of his stall without asking permission first.

I like to take photo's too , and always thought you can take photo's in public places .

I wonder why the stall-holder reacted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I like to take photo's too , and always thought you can take photo's in public places .

I wonder why the stall-holder reacted ?

Well I'd be annoyed if someone started taking my photo like I'm a monkey at the zoo.

The simple decent thing to do is to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭nhg

Really looking forward to going down today, heading down on the train from KK in order to be able to get the 23.15 late train home - hopefully we will get to see a good bit of the firework display, what time do the fireworks start and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

dayshah wrote: »
    Well I'd be annoyed if someone started taking my photo like I'm a monkey at the zoo.

The simple decent thing to do is to ask.

I don't want to go off topic, but dayshah your photo is taken most days. It's called CCTV.

Also, AFAIK when you are in a public place, anyone can take photos, including of yourself, providing they are not harassing your etc.

Anyways, I agree, the best thing to do would have being to ask.

I also don't understand why he would get upset about someone photographing his stall. Like who would want to take a photo of a stall? It must have been impressive so if I was him, I would have been faltered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Anybody see the fireworks last night worth hanging around for tonight or not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The stall holder is an idiot pure as. You don't need permission and this type of individual should be reported ~ he takes the 'friendliness' out of things like this.

And in my mind he has something to hide, maybe it someone else's yawning, food products, many he's claiming a sicky or is on the dole or told his wife he was somewhere else.

Funny thing, as an aside. We had a street party a few month ago that was washed out, my newspaper wanted some street shots but as you can imagine there was not too much to photograph. City Hall were on to me the day after publication to know if I had taken pics of the stalls?

Now I said the stall all looked miserable so I hadn't.

With the above story in mind, maybe I should have ~ they are all the same stalls anyway and they just travel around a bit.

Someone in Waterford go tell off that guy for giving out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

decies wrote: »
    Anybody see the fireworks last night worth hanging around for tonight or not??

They seemed a bit short and far from spectacular. More of a way to have people stop and go "Ooooh" and "Ahhhh" on their way back to their cars at the park and ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Had the best fun in ages in town yesterday after work.
    • Got the bus in from the Cork Road, dropped us off at Parnell Street.
    • Hung around the stalls all day drinking flat bulmers until we realised we could just bring drink it and pour it into cups :pac:.
    • Went to get a panini and ended up chatting to Ken McGrath while I waited.
    • Hung around the tables drinking and chatting
    • Fireworks were excellent
    • Top of the Ard Rí almost going on fire again after the fireworks was extra entertainment
    And from this evening onwards I'm finished for the weekend! WATERBOYS WOO

gbee wrote: »
    You don't need permission and this type of individual should be reported ~ he takes the 'friendliness' out of things like this.

You don't need permission to fart in a lift, but its still not polite to do so.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Anyways, I agree, the best thing to do would have being to ask.

That's all I'm saying. I'm sure I'm in the background of thousands of photos. But if someone specifically takes a photo of me (because of my rugged good looks perhaps) without first asking, I think that's just rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I met Keith Barry and Enda Kenny at it yesterday.. I'ma go celeb spotting again today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

In the whole day, I saw nothing contentious except for one stall-holder on the South Quay who accosted someone for taking a photo of his stall without asking permission first

The poster states that someone was accosted for taking a photo of a stall .- not the stall-holder.

I will be at the Tall Ships tomorrow , and want to take loads of photos from every angle.

Dayshah - you wonder why we need to take photos , - well many posters here participate in photo challenges on boards , and therefore its great to have a large amount of photos to choose from .

I will now feel scared taking photos on the quay in Waterford , in case some guys accost me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

In the whole day, I saw nothing contentious except for one stall-holder on the South Quay who accosted someone for taking a photo of his stall without asking permission first

The poster states that someone was accosted for taking a photo of a stall .- not the stall-holder.

I will be at the Tall Ships tomorrow , and want to take loads of photos from every angle.

Dayshah - you wonder why we need to take photos , - well many posters here participate in photo challenges on boards , and therefore its great to have a large amount of photos to choose from .

I will now feel scared taking photos on the quay in Waterford , in case some guys accost me too.

Laughter, don't worry about it. Take as many as you want. If unsure, just ask.

Please put them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

nhg wrote: »
    Really looking forward to going down today, heading down on the train from KK in order to be able to get the 23.15 late train home - hopefully we will get to see a good bit of the firework display, what time do the fireworks start and finish.

They started at 10.45 and lasted about 15 minutes. It was great to see the Ard Ri being put to some use other than vandalism after all these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

No risk of being accosted if you just ask first.

Christ, its a free event. A bit of courtesy wont cost you anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If you were paranoid about getting your photo taking I'd be staying the hell away from events like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

If you were paranoid about getting your photo taking I'd be staying the hell away from events like this.

or head up to the apple market and pick up a cheap balaclava and you can wander about till your hearts content with out fear of having yar mug snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just wondering did anyone get any good hot air balloon photos last night or this morning early?

I'm not paranoid. I'm sure I'm in the background of thousands of photos. But if someone specifically takes a photo of me, without asking first, I consider that harassment.

I'm incredibly good-looking, which makes me quite a target. I don't mind posing if people ask me first. I just don't like being treated like a monkey at the zoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

dayshah wrote: »
    I'm not paranoid. I'm sure I'm in the background of thousands of photos. But if someone specifically takes a photo of me, without asking first, I consider that harassment.

I'm incredibly good-looking, which makes me quite a target. I don't mind posing if people ask me first. I just don't like being treated like a monkey at the zoo.

WP. VWP sir :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Fame comes at a price....you know this dayshah

Fame comes at a price....you know this dayshah

I know. People just don't understand what a curse it is to be really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

In all honesty I tell people to move out of the way politely like but none the less get out of my shot, time and again id raise the auld camera to take summit and inevitably someone would walk right across as i was about to click, it was like my camera was a magnet for them, the only time I actually took a shot first time was when the plane flew down the quay and even then i was expecting a flock of pigeons to cut across me piccy

Sigh

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Trotter wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone get any good hot air balloon photos last night or this morning early?

Ah feck...the Waterford one flew right over my house up by Williamstown and it was really low too. Amazing sight, but I was in my effing boxers, so couldn't go out to take a pic. Are they going again tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Trotter wrote: »

I got some last night but i'm not sure how good is good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tom Dunnes show is coming from Waterford today, currently listening to a saucy sea shanty about Waterford girls*.

*well they were mentioned in passing

Advertisement