Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

are they back to their "drive for 5"???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Does anyone know how long the ships will be in Duunmore in the morning. Will they literally be sailing through or will they be staying for a while. I'm wondering really if it is worth the journey out with the inlaws!

According to the official site, the ships will assemble in Dunmore East between 8.30 a.m. and 10.00 a.m. on Sunday (subject to weather conditions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Word of advice, don't watch the fireworks from the plaza or that end of the quay. When a firework explodes there is a 1-2 second delay before you hear the bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Anyone know if it would be possible to get down to the port at belview or somewhere in that vicinty to view them sailing in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Had an excellent time at the tall ships, brillant weekend.

Food was really good, tasted my first falafel from the Lebanese stall - yum.

Had a chickpea spinach and tomato mix from the Meditereann stall - delic.

Music was brill, well done to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What a brilliant few days! Fair play to everyone involved, especially all the volunteers who gave so much of their time to make sure the rest of us had the craic!

A friend of mine from Dublin remarked that he hadnt really noticed the tall ships all that much, that it was the buzz of the crowd and the street music that had caught his attention.

All in all, it was a very well organised event and hopefully it'll give Waterford a real boost in terms of companies willing to invest, and people willing to make return visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hopefully a few will be back for spraoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

This weekend was surely Waterford's finest hour. An absolutely fantastic weekend.

A lot is made of the spirit of the people and this really shone through this weekend.

Well done to all those involved who worked so hard to make this a weekend that will never be forgotten.

Highlights for me were Soul Reazon today and Brendan Bowyer tonight - never thought I'd say that. The weather. The flyover by the SAR today was also memorable. The way in which the Gardai and security went about their jobs with a smile on their face. But most of all us, the people of Waterford, who welcomed our visitors with such open arms that I'm sure will live long in their hearts.

In the words of Van the Man "wouldn't it be great if it could be like this everyday".

We had great craic at the fireworks. We were standing outside Berfranks having hot chocolate and the gift shop across the way was open and playing Christy Moore songs loud!

Putting music to fireworks isn't a new idea but I'm tellin ya.. I reckon this was the first time anyone ever had fireworks done on that scale to Christy Moore live at the Point Depot!! :D

Wouldn't it have been some finish to the Tall Ships to have the Ard Ri demolished as a finale to the fireworks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Trotter wrote: »
    We had great craic at the fireworks. We were standing outside Berfranks having hot chocolate and the gift shop across the way was open and playing Christy Moore songs loud!

Putting music to fireworks isn't a new idea but I'm tellin ya.. I reckon this was the first time anyone ever had fireworks done on that scale to Christy Moore live at the Point Depot!! :D

How's it goin there everybody and welcome to this evenins cabaret!!.. BOOM!!!!

Wouldn't it have been some finish to the Tall Ships to have the Ard Ri demolished as a finale :)

Was thinking exactly the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Agree with the above poster. Absolutely loved the weekend, would normally enjoy this kind if thing with the lads and a bag of cans but this was my first time as a parent ( I have a 5 week old ) and have to say the whole thing was so well organised, the Guards, Stewards and Civil Defence did a great job and were very helpful. The Park & Ride system worked a treat, and obviously the stalls, Village and street performances were all excellent.

Few underage heads fallin around drunk and bit of a litter issue towards the end of Saturday night, but this would happen anywhere.

The warmth and generosity of Waterford people really came through, so very proud tonight after the fireworks display. Congratulations to the organisers on a job very well done!

As another great man recently said (and at the risk of being a big cheeseball) "Is Feidir Linn!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Fantastic. The city council and anyone responsible for puttin this together deserve a parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I was a volunteer, spent a LOT of time on my feet up and down the quay/sidestreets over the 3 days, Im knackered tired and my feet are in bits.......... but it was all worth it, proud to be promoting our City, helping and welcoming the many thousands over the 3 days :) the impression I got is that everyone was very impressed with the event and the City, not 1 complaint!!!!

WELL DONE WATERFORD (btw, I also had great craic doing it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

nice_very wrote: »
    I was a volunteer, spent a LOT of time on my feet up and down the quay/sidestreets over the 3 days, Im knackered tired and my feet are in bits.......... but it was all worth it, proud to be promoting our City, helping and welcoming the many thousands over the 3 days :) the impression I got is that everyone was very impressed with the event and the City, not 1 complaint!!!!

WELL DONE WATERFORD (btw, I also had great craic doing it!!)

Well done hope you enjoyed it mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

deisedave wrote: »
    Well done hope you enjoyed it mate :D

Thanks Dave, I really did!! Got to see and do everything, hope I helped make a few people's visit a better one:o, and to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised if spraoi is a lot bigger this year.. ie: people coming back at a "quieter time"

GET ON BOARD BOI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Best thing to happen Waterford in decades to be honest. Great weekend, grats to all involved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

How did parade of sails go? Somebody put up a picture of fog on Facebook a few hours ago so was just wondering?? Anyway well done all who put this together , and especially all the volunteers. My highlights were Brian ferry and waterboys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Were the helicopter rides suspended this time round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

mike65 wrote: »
    Bryan
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

They are just about all gone now:

165637.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Sad to see them go , but a huge boost to tourism , and the local economy too .

Well done Waterford .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Fair mental in town last night. Around half 2 it started looking like this with the queues for food.

Walking up town towards the forum after the fight, I saw a queue forming outside Geoffs that went all the way up to the corner. I've NEVER seen town that busy before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think every bar was busy last night. Shortts and Crystal were out the door...which is fantastic for a new venue.

The town got some shot in the arm this weekend.

My hope is that the publicity and crowds will make the decision makers in the well known shops that we don't yet have sit up and take notice. Big name shops will attract people from miles away that visited this weekend and from that we'll make one nifty little city out of this place.

The feel good factor has to be managed and built on now. So much potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Brilliant weekend, everything just went so well. I didn't see any trouble or people acting the maggot, great shot in the arm for the local economy and delighted the weather was nice! Really gave a good impression of Waterford and will hopefully encourage more to come back. Well done to all involved.

So when are the Tall Ships back again!!? I'm looking forward already! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Cake Man wrote: »
    Over 200,000 people have attended the busiest day of the Tall Ships Festival in Waterford.

The organisation responsible for the international Tall Ships say the race will come back to Waterford in the not-too-distant future.
    The confirmation comes on the last day of the record-breaking festival in the city.

When asked about the possibility of Waterford getting the Tall Ships race back in five years time, the head of Sail Training International, Knut Western, said the race will come back to Waterford in the not-too-distant-future but he could not confirm what year.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0702/tallships.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cake Man wrote: »
    Brilliant weekend, everything just went so well. I didn't see any trouble or people acting the maggot, great shot in the arm for the local economy and delighted the weather was nice! Really gave a good impression of Waterford and will hopefully encourage more to come back. Well done to all involved.

RTE news showed the head of Sail Training International or whatever they're called saying that they'll be back in the not-too-distant future. If he's saying that, it would seem to suggest that they've already decided it'll happen, probably in 6 years again I suppose. It'd be very hard to top this one though.

The phrase I keep hearing is "well organised". And it really was. Large Garda presence but all had a smile on their face as somebody else said. Lots and lots of stewards and people helping out. Lots of bins around which were very rarely full for long. All the small, boring things were done very well. And the big things like the gigs etc were top class too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

A top class few days, i had an absolute ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The flyover by the SAR today was also memorable.

that was pretty amazing alright, fantastic weekend :D

Advertisement