Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

The fly over by 117 was great. The balloons were even better! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Back to the missing cats threads now :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Fantastic few days, credit is due to everyone involved. Take a bow all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Great weekend. Well done to all involved in making it happen. Grimes will have a band on the roof of the pub at 6 this evening for anyone looking to keep the party going. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

south wrote: »
    Great weekend. Well done to all involved in making it happen. Grimes will have a band on the roof of the pub at 6 this evening for anyone looking to keep the party going. :)
    really? excellent :D who's the band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Kanoe wrote: »

They're called Some fella with a fake gun on the roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I have to say it was a great few days, my highlight was getting on the ship Europa which was superb. I heard the 3 gigs were great, and finally to everyone who were involved in the event well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭blaa85

Rockabilly band called Nervous Breakdown. I'd say it'll be some laugh.

might go in for a lucozade so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Just chillin out in Red Square, drinking a few cans, having a laugh with the guards, soaking in the fantastic atmosphere and buzzing off the good vibe, listening to the jam tarts orchestra. one of the most pleasurable moments in my life.

got chattin to a sailor, he says to me 'wow is waterford always as busy as this?'

i said .......'tis boy!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Shame a big dirty traveller family had to come into the park and start roaring and screaming, throwing things at each other right in front of the playground. The gardai were on hand after about 10 mins but they had either split up or went silent when they arrived so they weren't spoken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Really enjoyed the last few days, and it's great that spraoi is only around the corner. Bolten st was a decent venue but wasn't full at all. Why didn't they release more tickets or was it just people not showing up? Only made it into the Waterboys, who I personally taught were very poor, and so did the majority around me. Heard similar about Bryan Ferry also. Woul have taught one big gig on the Saturday night with a higher calibre act would have been more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Really enjoyed the last few days, and it's great that spraoi is only around the corner. Bolten st was a decent venue but wasn't full at all. Why didn't they release more tickets or was it just people not showing up? Only made it into the Waterboys, who I personally taught were very poor, and so did the majority around me. Heard similar about Bryan Ferry also. Woul have taught one big gig on the Saturday night with a higher calibre act would have been more suitable.

I think a lot of people applied to get tickets but probably had no intentions of going but realised they might change their mind at the last minute.

Next time round, they should charge for the tickets perhaps? Maybe a fiver or something.

nationwide tonight 7.30 from the quays, should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

nationwide tonight 7.30 from the quays, should be good.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1103242

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wished I'd known about the MILF and Hotties boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

thought waterboys and Bryan Ferry were brilliant . Mike Scott got really into it and Bryan Ferry,s stage production was good entertainment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I sailed in the 08 race when it went from Liverpool to Maloy in Norway, and while both places did a good job, what Waterford organised was on an entirely different level entirely.

Liverpool obviously had some facilities we can't compete with (the opening ceremony was in the Echo Arena), but there was little to nothing in the way of a proper festival atmosphere. The ships were in 3 different areas that required a 15 minute bus to get from one to the other, and there was only the odd gig here or there. Maloy did a good job given they're only a small town of a few thousand people, but there's very little you can organise in a place that size.

Liverpool attracted about 250,000 during their hosting while Maloy got about 50k, so for a place like ours to attract about 400,000 is one thing, but to do so with such brilliant organisation and only half the number of ships from the 08 race says it all. An absolutely brilliant weekend from start to finish and something we should be really proud of for years to come.

There is one complaint that I have about the festival which I only just found out about tonight though. Apparently the Asgard's bell and wheel were on display somewhere in town, from the video package RTE ran it looks like Greyfriers. Why oh why didn't they publicise this?! I've read nearly every article published on the Asgard since she sank nearly 3 years and I didn't see a single thing about this. I even know of somebody who specifically went into the Tall Ships offices to ask if they had any intention of showcasing the recovered artifacts. All he got was a puzzled look before the City Council eventually got back to him and said they weren't in possession of them and won't be making any plans for it.

The weird thing is if they were indeed in Greyfriers (hard to tell from the images), that's a building that's run by the City Council themselves! Considering there were no Irish ships to lead the event this year, I always thought it'd be a nice symbolic gesture to use the Asgard's bell to signal the start of the race. But considering they were here all along and never told anyone about it is disappointing, I know for the fact there would've been a popular attraction not just for visitors but visiting crew members and the Tall Ships organisers themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

why wasnt the dunbrody there?

Hoffmans wrote: »
    why wasnt the dunbrody there?

She doesn't sail much if at all anymore. Think they made the decision a few years ago to make it a permanent visitors attraction in New Ross, was costing too much to keep it seaworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

mike65 wrote: »
    I wished I'd known about the MILF and Hotties boat.

Lmfao....where was that scow docked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ray Darcy is full of praise for the Tall Ships and the organisation that was second to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Another gripe that I have is there was very little use made of the public sound system, I checked the programme and there was no mention of the Coastguard helicopter doing a flypast, I went to the Coastguard stand who told me the helicopter would display at 3.30pm on Saturday yet there was no announcement about this even when the helicopter arrived.

Daysha I saw the wheel and the bell from the Asgard it was on display in a small place on the quays (brought a tear to my eyes very sad) I forget the name of the place but there was loads of paintings there as well. I agree with you that this should have been announced as the sinking of Asgard was a great loss to the Country and would have attracted a lot of people to see it, as it was I stumbled upon it by accident.

Had a great weekend and the Tall Ships was fantastic well done Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Another gripe that I have is there was very little use made of the public sound system, I checked the programme and there was no mention of the Coastguard helicopter doing a flypast, I went to the Coastguard stand who told me the helicopter would display at 3.30pm on Saturday yet there was no announcement about this even when the helicopter arrived.

I'd assume that the reason why they couldn't say what time or put it in print is bacause of the unknown factor with regard to the operation of this service i.e. it's an emergency vehicle and is on a 24hr watch. In my opinion the surprise element of it arriving added to the spectacle.

Daysha wrote: »
    She doesn't sail much if at all anymore. Think they made the decision a few years ago to make it a permanent visitors attraction in New Ross, was costing too much to keep it seaworthy.

Do you know why there was no helicopter rides this year?

Finnbar01 wrote: »

There were, the stand was around the clock tower I think.

http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/the-festival/helicopter-rides/

Daysha wrote: »
    There were, the stand was around the clock tower I think.

http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/the-festival/helicopter-rides/

Cheers, last time they were leaving from Waterford cyrstal so flying over my house all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    There was, the helicoptors were leaving from where the Foundry was down towards Gracedieu. They didn't really go down by the tall ships though, only went up around the new bridge.

Advertisement