Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Very good overall - only complaint is why "gourmet" burgers were €7 and why a sausage in a blah was €4, €5 with onions.

Compared to Taste of Dublin it was a joke in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

mozattack wrote: »
    Very good overall - only complaint is why "gourmet" burgers were €7 and why a sausage in a blah was €4, €5 with onions.

Compared to Taste of Dublin it was a joke in that regard.

There was also a lot of places that were good value for money like those 2 chinese places, the Dawn Meats place that had a beef dinner for €7.50 to name a few.

Eastenders on the quay had a take out offer for €5.50

The places that had the best value and best food had the biggest queues.

No matter where you go you'll always have a few that will try and overcharge a bit. In general I thought the pricing was reasonable in most places and was also good - great variety, food hot and well prepared.

I dont think anyone can say that the weekend was a rip off - even the Bars on the Quay were reasonable €4.50 for a pint not bad- how much do they charge at other festivals. I've been to the Galway Races and seen them charging €10 for a beef roll - without onions!!

There was nothing to stop anyone bringing their own food or drink either - you wouldn't get that at a lot of festivals.

I went into the 3 days - I had my 12 year old son with me. We had our lunch or dinner in there on Thursday and Saturday. We went to the Waterboys, Soul Reazon, Brendan Boywer.We also gave a good few hours at the fun fair on Saturday and went on board two of the ships. Had a few drinks, went to a few of the other events. In other words made the most of what was on offer.

We weren't bored for a single minute over the whole 3 days.

And for the whole 3 days I spent less than €100 - I couldn't believe it when I checked my wallet on Sunday morning - that's what I call value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We went on Saturday from Dublin ,Parking was so easy and so organised .,We were in the red car park , got a shuttle within minutes despite long queues . The whole atmosphere was great .We got a lovely three course chinese lunch for €12.80
    Well Done to all concerned we really enjoyed it

My one little complaint and not Waterfords fault at all but RTE was the Nationwide programme last night .I doubt many needed to see Nuala Carey and your man trying to sail a little boat , I tuned in to see the Tall Ships and would have loved more of them in full sail setting off , and we got 5 minutes of Nuala Carey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We went on Saturday from Dublin ,Parking was so easy and so organised .,We were in the red car park , got a shuttle within minutes despite long queues . The whole atmosphere was great .We got a lovely three course chinese lunch for €12.80
    Well Done to all concerned we really enjoyed it

My one little complaint and not Waterfords fault at all but RTE was the Nationwide programme last night .I doubt many needed to see Nuala Carey and your man trying to sail a little boat , I tuned in to see the Tall Ships and would have loved more of them in full sail setting off , and we got 5 minutes of Nuala Carey .

Actually I though that little bit about Gerry and Nuala trying to sail so funny. He looked terrified but that talking from experience of not being a great swimmer and then going out trying to sail you seriously be apprenhsive.

RTE did a good job overall I think with the programme. Great that alot of the radio shows and weather etc were broadcast from the city.

Mind you talking to someone whow knows about these things Dublin is serioulsy worried and kind of getting defensive already about their hosting of the race end next August. With the city not being totally set up to host the event as easily as Waterford is I think a rethink is on the cards. A friend of mine said one the the papers up there is already running with stories of how they will attract more ships to the city than we could and more people and how they want to ensure it bigger than Waterford. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So will it be back in another 6 years??

Dublin August 2012 for those who need a fix a fix sooner :D

• Advertisement

Nah, heard the weather wont be great for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

libra02 wrote: »
    Actually I though that little bit about Gerry and Nuala trying to sail so funny. He looked terrified but that talking from experience of not being a great swimmer and then going out trying to sail you seriously be apprenhsive.

RTE did a good job overall I think with the programme. Great that alot of the radio shows and weather etc were broadcast from the city.

Mind you talking to someone whow knows about these things Dublin is serioulsy worried and kind of getting defensive already about their hosting of the race end next August. With the city not being totally set up to host the event as easily as Waterford is I think a rethink is on the cards. A friend of mine said one the the papers up there is already running with stories of how they will attract more ships to the city than we could and more people and how they want to ensure it bigger than Waterford. :rolleyes:

I hope it will be as successful in Dublin as it was in Waterford. They are two reasons for this.

Dublin is our capital city and needs to act and be treated as such.

If it is very successful in Dublin, that will be fantastic publicity for us when it comes around again in 2016.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I hope it will be as successful in Dublin as it was in Waterford. They are two reasons for this.

Dublin is our capital city and needs to act and be treated as such.

If it is very successful in Dublin, that will be fantastic publicity for us when it comes around again in 2016.

Oh yeah I say Dublin will do a great job. Say atmosphere might not be as good in Waterford due to the nature of how spread out ships will have to be and the logistics of Dublin itself but am sure the 3 day events will be great.

My point was this first of all Waterford does not need to relate / associate itself to Dublin and how they host it. Dublin needs to be taking pointers from Waterford. We successfully bid and won it twice on our own merit and have proved that a smaller city can do just as well if not better than a capital city.

Secondly just because Dublin is out capital why should they get all the events and be treated better than any other city in the country. Waterford should be very proud of itself for what is has achieved and it deserves to be treated with respect.

Wateford has proved it is a gold grade port for these Tall Ships and Galway with holding the Volvo Ocean Race has also received praise.
    What we need to promote is the fact that these cities are open and available to hold world class events and should be considered in bid processes.

Say it may be 2016-2018 as the bid process it a 4 year process and I get impression from the head of the organisation Knut ? cannot remember his last name, that he thinks 2016 may be a bit soon for us.

Now that could easily be he did not want to appear biased to Waterford hosting it and they need to get the feedback from crew's on what their impression was but I can see no reason why Waterford would not be successful in another bid.

Host cities have been successfully bid on up to 2014 so it all to play for after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

what a great weekend it was! weather was superb couldnt ask for any better it was brillant! fair play to the people who organised it was a great weekend for the businesses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was there all weekend down manning one of the stalls, great atmosphere around the place.. everyone in great form and chatting away.

Hats off to the lads in the Civil Defence, all the Volunteers and the Gardai, not an ounce of trouble seen and everyone was chatting with the crowd etc.

Saw a few gardai getting plenty of attention from some young ladies, photos being taken etc. The girls had a fair few drinks in them but the lads too it all in good humour.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Twas gerat oul craic alright but what I look forward to more than anything else is begrudging any other city that trys to host it

jayboi wrote: »
    Twas gerat oul craic alright but what I look forward to more than anything else is begrudging any other city that trys to host it

Considering we had 450,000 visitors here excluding the 50,000 locals, it goes without saying that those from other cities and towns made the weekend what it was so I'd have no bother in supporting any place that holds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Considering we had 450,000 visitors here excluding the 50,000 locals, it goes without saying that those from other cities and towns made the weekend what it was so I'd have no bother in supporting any place that holds it.

Not even 5 minutes and I caught one hook, line and sinker.

jayboi wrote: »
    Not even 5 minutes and I caught one hook, line and sinker.

Touche:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but this video is excellent. Well done to the folks at Aspect Photography (and no I don't have any affiliation with them :P)

http://aspectphotography.net/tall-ships-2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Sorry to dig this thread up again, but this video is excellent. Well done to the folks at Aspect Photography (and no I don't have any affiliation with them :P)

http://aspectphotography.net/tall-ships-2011/
    one of the coolest short vids iv seen in a while gas seeing the ships arrive at that speed...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wow great link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's a fantastic piece of work. After my first viewing I was thinking it would've been nice if it gave the time, but sure you can just look at the Clock Tower go in circles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

johnnykilo wrote: »

Excellent.
    Thanks for posting the link :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

:eek:WOW:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

All I can say is wow...the hot air balloons and the tides raising and lowering the ships was really cool....on the ball men! Also great seeing the crowds arrive and leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

pretty amazing video i have to say! i miss the tall ships! was a brillant 3 days of it!

Advertisement