Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yup, gone within 20 minutes., I'd like to think O Emperor playing support had a good bit to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

The site really **** itself this morning alright. A whole lot of refreshing later and I had a email confiming 2 tickets. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Yup, gone within 20 minutes., I'd like to think O Emperor playing support had a good bit to do with it.

O i didnt hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ratedR wrote: »
    The site really **** itself this morning alright. A whole lot of refreshing later and I had a email confiming 2 tickets. Happy days.

I filled in the form and click send. The url it sent me to said http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/tickets/thanks.php but nothing came up on the page. No email yet confirming I have tickets like yesterday morning so I can only presume I didn't get them. The f*****g site was really s**t this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I got tics this morning but failed yesterday. Site crashed on both days, yesterday was worse, today it came back after a few minutes. Really disappointing that the organisers didn't get this right.

Isn't it around now that the people who got tics start telling the people who didn't to stop moaning and whingin.

• Advertisement

Organisers couldn't have foreseen the massive rush of people for the tickets online. My guess is the expected it to be a small online alternative. The only way to fix the problem would be to foresee it, spend more money to get a better host/server, and then someone would complain about how much they were spending on the website.

Organisers couldn't have foreseen the massive rush of people for the tickets online. My guess is the expected it to be a small online alternative. The only way to fix the problem would be to foresee it, spend more money to get a better host/server, and then someone would complain about how much they were spending on the website.

Not foresee a huge demand for an event that's been advertised extensively since the last tall ships. Probably across Europe. And the percentage of people who have internet access is probably close to 100% in this day and age. The online option was always gonna be the most popular. Naturally folks would prefer sit in front of a PC and push a few buttons, rather than queue with masses for tickets in the town on 4th June. And after events yesterday, the should certainly have foreseen it for today.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Naturally folks would prefer sit in front of a PC and push a few buttons, rather than queue with masses for tickets in the town on 4th June.

Not to mention people who don't live locally but are travelling here to the tall ships festival - how are they meant to get tickets if not online? They're hardly going to fly over here for the 4th to queue to get tickets, and then just hang about in Waterford until the end of June...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vespa

Not foresee a huge demand for an event that's been advertised extensively since the last tall ships. Probably across Europe. And the percentage of people who have internet access is probably close to 100% in this day and age. The online option was always gonna be the most popular. Naturally folks would prefer sit in front of a PC and push a few buttons, rather than queue with masses for tickets in the town on 4th June. And after events yesterday, the should certainly have foreseen it for today.

We'll agree to disagree.

Dont know what you are on about LEWISDHEAD no problem both days getting tickets. First tickets at 09.06am and todays at 09.10am ;);) Great name by the way :P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I suppose if city council had approached any of the established and quality Waterford web companies to develop and/or host the site then they would not find themselves with cheapo USA based hosting and a site that's technically pretty poor

• Advertisement

vespa wrote: »
    Dont know what you are on about LEWISDHEAD no problem both days getting tickets. First tickets at 09.06am and todays at 09.10am ;);) Great name by the way :P:P:P

Just posting my experience is all. Glad you like the name. As for Vespa, what can I say, I prefer Lambretta.;););););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vespa

Just posting my experience is all. Glad you like the name. As for Vespa, what can I say, I prefer Lambretta.;););););)
    I also like the Lambretta motorbike and the Kings of Leon which would be nice if they played at the Tall Ships :D:D:D:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I know somebody in Donegal ex pat , he got two tickets at work , son got two at home !!

We'll agree to disagree.
    Nice to see you finished a conversation before it started. :confused:

old gregg wrote: »
    I suppose if city council had approached any of the established and quality Waterford web companies to develop and/or host the site then they would not find themselves with cheapo USA based hosting and a site that's technically pretty poor
    Don't even think there is anyone around Waterford who would host it. :/

Scratch that, found one. http://www.hostingireland.ie/

They would have even been able to plug a nice little "we're supporting local business" spiel.

vespa wrote: »
    I also like the Lambretta motorbike and the Kings of Leon which would be nice if they played at the Tall Ships :D:D:D:P:P

There would be plenty of tics for Kings of Leon, sure who besides you likes them.:D:D:p:p

Nice to see you finished a conversation before it started. :confused:

Feel free to add to it man, not stopping anything. Just don't think we're gonna change how either of us feel.

Someone pointed this out to me earlier, sorry if it was already mentioned:

Bryan Ferry
    The Waterboys
    Sharon Shannon

All water/ship/boat related. With it being the Tall Ships festival, is this deliberate or coincidence???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hopefully I'll get Sharon Shannon tickets tomorrow, the only one I'm really interested in. :)

Not foresee a huge demand for an event that's been advertised extensively since the last tall ships. Probably across Europe.
    Yes.

How hard is that to comprehend? For the most part its sold to people as a european event, but the majority of people attending will be local. It was near impossible to foresee how fast they would have sold out yesterday, and what a slowdown it would cause the site.
    They had no previous events or exmaples to look at and base their plan on. This was a completely new idea to them, and one they weren't pinning every single ticket on clearly, given that the rest are being sold in town in June.
    Naturally folks would prefer sit in front of a PC and push a few buttons, rather than queue with masses for tickets in the town on 4th June.
    I would have much rathered walk into down to get a ticket at a kiosk, than have to get up early to sit at my computer to apply for tickets. Only a certain amount have been allocated to the website giveaway. It was merely an option for people, not their 100% main plan.
    And after events yesterday, the should certainly have foreseen it for today.
    You expected them to change web hosts/servers and costs within 24 hours, because people were giving out that the site was busy for 20 minutes and they couldnt get tickets?

• Advertisement

As I said, we'll agree to disagree.:D:D I could go through all your points and give you a long response. But I 'll keep it short.

1.This is not a novel idea for tickets allocation.
    2.I was up since 7am today, and online is my preference.
    3.Not change, simply fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Someone pointed this out to me earlier, sorry if it was already mentioned:

Bryan Ferry
    The Waterboys
    Sharon Shannon

All water/ship/boat related. With it being the Tall Ships festival, is this deliberate or coincidence???:eek:
    I don't think their that clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

They would have even been able to plug a nice little "we're supporting local business" spiel.
    There's no shortage of established Waterford companies who could have easily taken on this project, even newer players such as hostingireland.
    It does not impact upon me greatly these days but city council's failure to support local businesses in this regard especially during tough times is a tad sickening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I can. :)

Sully wrote: »
    I can. :)
    Was waiting for that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

I filled in the form and click send. The url it sent me to said http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/tickets/thanks.php but nothing came up on the page. No email yet confirming I have tickets like yesterday morning so I can only presume I didn't get them. The f*****g site was really s**t this morning.

same happened to me but i just got an email there saying 2 tickets confirmed, did you get one yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I Pressed the send button yesterday for the Bryan Ferry tickets and a message came up saying congradulations you have got 2 tickets,but it said nothing about getting an e-mail and I didn't get one, so now i'm not sure if i'll recieve them or not,i'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭furry

Am I right in thinking the Fanfare Electrique on Friday night loosely translates as The Fireworks...just trying to find out what night they're on. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

furry wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the Fanfare Electrique on Friday night loosely translates as The Fireworks...just trying to find out what night they're on. thanks.
    I think there'll be firework displays on all 3 nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

BazBox wrote: »
    same happened to me but i just got an email there saying 2 tickets confirmed, did you get one yet?

Nah. I had the acknowledgment of the Brian Ferry tickets by 9.35 yesterday so I figured if I didn't get a mail by 10 that I wouldn't get todays ones.

Advertisement