Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Will the regular city buses be running and where will they stop in the city, will it be Ballybricken instead of the clock tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Libby029 wrote: »
    Will the regular city buses be running and where will they stop in the city, will it be Ballybricken instead of the clock tower?

Seems buses will be running with some routes and times modified. Took this from the tall ships website:
    Public transport

Arising from the closure of the Quays, the Bus Éireann depot will be temporarily relocated from Merchant’s Quay to Ballybricken. To facilitate this, it will be necessary to restrict on-street parking of private cars in Ballybricken.
    All bus service routes will be modified in the city centre area as a consequence of the road closures.
    The frequency of rural bus services such as Tramore, Passage East, Dunmore East and Portlaw will be enhanced for the event. All residents along the routes should avail of the enhanced services by using available parking along the route.
    All other city services will continue to run during the event and can also be used with available parking along the routes.
    The train services to/from Waterford will be significantly enhanced during the event. Plunkett Station will be accessible to taxis and buses unless it is deemed unsafe. Regular outbound train passengers will be facilitated by the Park and Ride. Individual car access to Plunkett Station will be permitted in exceptional circumstances such as medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Daysha wrote: »
    The first Class A ship (the big ones) is on it's way in! The Royalist is coming up to Passage East around now.

Here's a handy link to track all the ships as they come in: http://www.marinetraffic.com/

That's a cool site. English channel has some traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The 'Royalist' just arrived on the Quay.

sb4md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jawantyergoboy

Lads, last time arround, i think the kruzenshtern was the largest ship that visited, i dont think its due to visit this time, can anyone confirm? also, what about the US eagle and any of the irish ships (dunbrody)?

I am wondering if there will be as many large Class A boats as the previous visit ? Wondering will they be as impressive this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lads, last time arround, i think the kruzenshtern was the largest ship that visited, i dont think its due to visit this time, can anyone confirm? also, what about the US eagle and any of the irish ships (dunbrody)?

I am wondering if there will be as many large Class A boats as the previous visit ? Wondering will they be as impressive this time around.

Eagle was here last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think Mir is the largest ship this time:
    http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/the-race/the-tall-ships/mir/
    http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/the-race/the-tall-ships/

I don't think there any other ships as big as that, but there's a few more slightly smaller ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭thebrendanr1

that boat looks amazin pity i wont make it up to see :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Some nice ones are on the way up river today too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I see Bulmers are sponsoring the tall ships gigs and they have a bar set up in the bolton street car park, i suppose that means you wont be able to bring in your own cans and they,ll be charging around €5 a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

just saw that they're runnin a load of extra trains from Kilkenny, Carrick and clonmel into town for the festival

good to see - lets hope people use them - great price as well

<H3>Minister Kelly urges public to ‘take the train to the Tall Ships’ this weekend

Public Transport Minister, Alan Kelly TD, is encouraging those travelling to the Tall Ships Festival this weekend to avail of cheaper public transport to get to Waterford.
    “Irish Rail are putting on additional trains that will bring you right to the heart of where the action is along the quays – avoiding traffic, the hassle of parking and at not too expensive a price.”
    “You can get from Clonmel or Carrick on Suir to Waterford for under €6. Or, from Kilkenny to Waterford for little more than €10 with additional trains operating from Thursday to Sunday. The trains will run throughout the day with last services back to Clonmel and Kilkenny after 11pm each night. There are also extra trains from Dublin that serve all the stations in between; so, the message to the public is that there are viable public transport options for those travelling to Waterford this weekend.”
    “The Tall Ships is one of the major flagship tourism initiatives for the south-east and it really puts the great city of Waterford on the world map. Irish rail are to be complimented for supporting that festival in this way.”
    “As a country we have to get more public transport conscious. Too many of us automatically assume the car is the only option. Perhaps this is because for generations we had poor levels of investment in public transport. However services have improved significantly and it remains an attractive option for people.”
    “In particular a major effort is being put in place this summer to provide cheap, efficient and reliable rail and bus transport to sporting, musical and cultural events throughout the country.”

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2011/06/minister-kelly-urges-public-to-take-the-train-to-the-tall-ships-this-weekend/?cat=12</H3>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

They'll probably be giving out samples of Pear and Berry Bulmers. Better have the portaloos in an abundance....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I see Bulmers are sponsoring the tall ships gigs and they have a bar set up in the bolton street car park, i suppose that means you wont be able to bring in your own cans and they,ll be charging around €5 a pint.

Yep, it states on the tickets "Only alcohol purchased on site can be consumed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They'll probably be giving out samples of Pear and Berry Bulmers. Better have the portaloos in an abundance....
    The Captains Dinner, costing €100 per plate have a Bulmers Punch for their pre-drinks reception. Bulmers out of a champagne glass. And here I used to think that Clonmel Chardonnay was just a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Daysha wrote: »
    The first Class A ship (the big ones) is on it's way in! The Royalist is coming up to Passage East around now.

Here's a handy link to track all the ships as they come in: http://www.marinetraffic.com/

I see a Columbian ship coming in now.

Cocaine party tonight lads :D

(Remember kids, if you want to be cool don't do drugs.)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Mate of mine is working on one of the bars.

There will be 5 (maybe 7) open air bars around the town.

The one for the main concert in Bolton St. will have 12 tills and 36 bar staff. It will be located near the main stage. Now, to be honest. I can see problems already with this but I'm sure Bulmers know what they're doing.

The only alcohol on sale will be Bulmers and Becks - dont drink any of them and a selection of soft drinks. No alcohol can be brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

jimbojazz wrote: »

The only alcohol on sale will be Bulmers and Becks - dont drink any of them and a selection of soft drinks. No alcohol can be brought in.

Wonder can we bring in our own softdrinks - like Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

iseegirls wrote: »

As far as I know you can only buy it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

iseegirls wrote: »

I wouldnt say so. Usually when they put on these single brand bars at concerts and events, no outside drink is allowed in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On Matt Coopers show now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can anyone tell me what ships are in at the moment? I checked out the shipping link above but it doesn't seem to show the sailing ships. I have someone who would like to see the ships but is not fit enough to walk to and from the park and ride or round the town. I thought we would come and have a look tomorrow and see if there is anything to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Gloria, Maybe, Celtic Mist and one more I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

looksee wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what ships are in at the moment? I checked out the shipping link above but it doesn't seem to show the sailing ships. I have someone who would like to see the ships but is not fit enough to walk to and from the park and ride or round the town. I thought we would come and have a look tomorrow and see if there is anything to see.

Yeah tomorrow evening should be a good time. Alot of them will be in by then. Car parks on the quay will be closed from 6pm, but you could park elsewhere on the quay, or drive up to Ferrybank. Should be a nice spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Here's the Gloria coming in past Cheekpoint earlier:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=nzqgja.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

What time tomorrow would be a good time to see them coming up the river from passage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When the tide is on its way in I imagine. HT is 16:53 tomorrow and 17:42 Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

mike65 wrote: »
    When the tide is on its way in I imagine. HT is 16:53 tomorrow and 17:42 Thursday

I thought the city quays had 4.5mtrs FW draft facility at all times .

The tall ships must be draft restricted in berthing at Waterford .

They are deeper than I thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I thought the city quays had 4.5mtrs FW draft facility at all times .

The tall ships must be draft restricted in berthing at Waterford .

They are deeper than I thought .

They'll berth, they usually come in with the tide but likely it's also PR and want them all to come in Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

Im hoping to go down to wexford to see them on there way in whit sails up i hope, is today or thurs the best chance off seen them? at HT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I gotta get into town on friday to sort a few bits. Does anyone know where the traffic stops coming in from the cork road?

Advertisement