Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tall Ships Festival. 30 June - 3 July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

ziedth wrote: »
    I gotta get into town on friday to sort a few bits. Does anyone know where the traffic stops coming in from the cork road?

As far as the lights at the end of bunkers hill, but you can presume it'll be mental busy even before there. I'd try get anything I could done today if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mecco wrote: »
    As far as the lights at the end of bunkers hill, but you can presume it'll be mental busy even before there. I'd try get anything I could done today if possible.

Unfortunately it has to be friday. I'm dreading going in but i'll try and make my way in for 9am to be in and out hopefully before it gets really busy. cheers.

edit: be careful your getting very close to the magic 100 posts and I know you want to keep it for something special :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Does anyone know the bus route for Kavanagh's on the Dunmore Road? Can't find anything on their site apart from saying that they'll be dropping and picking up at Park Road.

Do Kenneally's still run a bus out that way too?

I've never in my life used a bus out that way so I'm a bit new to it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the bus route for Kavanagh's on the Dunmore Road? Can't find anything on their site apart from saying that they'll be dropping and picking up at Park Road.

Do Kenneally's still run a bus out that way too?

I've never in my life used a bus out that way so I'm a bit new to it all!

It starts at Ballygunner, along the dunmore road, down through Newtown, and then past De La Salle and Waterpark.

JJ Kavanaghs is Kenneallys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Great atmosphere in town last night!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This weekend will see thousands of tourists and tbh its really our chance to shine and prove we are a city and county that can provide entertainment and a great holiday for anybody who comes.

Great to see so many places cleaning up front of shops and getting into the spirit. Fair play to all who are doing a great job, hope the weather holds back and we get fantastic weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont think il be able to get up for 7am to see the ships depart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When do you think is the best time to go to miss the worst of the crowds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BostonB wrote: »

Just guessing of course, but I'd say before lunchtime...

I'd say it'll be mostly just locals on Thursday. Friday and Saturday we'll be inundated with cash toting tourists (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When they are leaving Sun morning do you think it will be hard to drive in and see them. Where would be the best place. Where would they likely drop sails et?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

When they are leaving Sun morning do you think it will be hard to drive in and see them. Where would be the best place. Where would they likely drop sails et?

Try Dunmore East, Passage east will be jammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dayshah wrote: »
    It starts at Ballygunner, along the dunmore road, down through Newtown, and then past De La Salle and Waterpark.

JJ Kavanaghs is Kenneallys.

Yeah I'm just in by The Village so was wondering did it stop by the church. Will be handy out for getting in and out without the worry of the car.

Never knew they were the same company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

We were out in the park in Dunmore East for the parade last time round. It's good in that you get an overall view of all the ships, and they should all be in full sail by then as well. The downside is you're not exactly up close to them. Will come down to preference in the end of the day.

I will say though the closer to the city you go, the less chance there'll be that the ships will be in full sail by then. They'll all be motoring from the start anyway, but to get the full experience you need to see them all fully rigged out. We're going to ask around the different crews during the weekend and see what their plan is, but at a guess they'll start making the change from motoring to sailing between Cheekpoint and Passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

bryan ferry. waterboys. sharon shannon

don't know if anyone mentioned it already lol, something to do with the maratime fell I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

minor accidents on the local roads around Ferrybank this morning , due to higher volume of traffic is making life difficult for some .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Driving thru town yesterday morning, specifically up John Street, is was all decked up in bunting & flags by Bulmers... funny thing was they were black & amber! Thought I has entered some tear in the fabric of time & been placed in John Street Kilkenny. Wonder was there some wideboy being mischievious?

Passed up that way again mid-afternoon & most of 'em had been washed & blown away by a heavy shower. Seems they were only paper. Or maybe the gods were angered at such disrespect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey guys,
    was in town yesterday, id say when all the ships are in - it's gonna be a great weekend!
    tall ships waterford

what time would the ships be in Dunmore East on Sunday morning? and would there be any parking around at all - i'm keen to get some shots of them under full sail!! I suppose boat hire would be very spendy, would Hook Head be too far away? i presume it'd be difficult to get to as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What would be the highlights of the weekend guys? as in best place for craic, street shows, live music, street performance, etc!

trying to get a plan together! all opinions welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My plan would be...

1. Thursday. Pop in today for the launch and a look around. Maybe hang around for the gig.
    2. Friday. Spend all afternoon in there going all over town, should be great atmosphere. Few pints. Waterboys gig. Back into town.
    3. Saturday. Hang around town while everything wraps up with some of the best stuff on this day. Might skip the Shannon gig to watch the Haye fight in Grimes, then on to the Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

At least that would be my plan, if I wasn't working all today and tomorrow. Will just have to settle for the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Any radio stations broadcasting from the quay today? Wouldn't mind tuning in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Fionn wrote: »
    hey guys,
    was in town yesterday, id say when all the ships are in - it's gonna be a great weekend!
    tall ships waterford

what time would the ships be in Dunmore East on Sunday morning? and would there be any parking around at all - i'm keen to get some shots of them under full sail!! I suppose boat hire would be very spendy, would Hook Head be too far away? i presume it'd be difficult to get to as well.

There will be no traffic allowed into Dunmore East from 6am Sunday. There will be designated parking areas outside the village, €5 fee per car, and walk in then. Best to get out as early as you can. Ships should be arriving in Dunmore from 10am onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im going to catch the train down in an hour. Not sure what I'm going to do today, I suppose Ill take a few pictures, pick up an event guide and see whats on. Grab lunch and watch a concert or something.

Im seeing 14 sail boats in the city and 2 inbound on the radar. It seems most are docked on the city side. Last time I remember most of them being over on the docks area. I wonder how many more are to come along?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

This might help

Berthing Plan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

Hey,

Does anyone know if you need a permit to sail into Waterford City?

Is there anyone sailing out to Dunmore East the weekend to watch the race start at sea?

I would love some info regarding where is best to dock etc......

Many thanks in advance.

As for a general plan, Waterford city centre is basically like a theme park for the weekend, and the city centre is compact. Just try board some ships for a tour, and take in a live gig and some atmosphere.

Maybe download the Tall Ships app if you have that sort of phone.

You can take a helicopter too :)
    Hey,

Does anyone know if you need a permit to sail into Waterford City?

Is there anyone sailing out to Dunmore East the weekend to watch the race start at sea?

I would love some info regarding where is best to dock etc......

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert on sailing, but it might be useful to know that the people who normally park (probably not the right nautical term) at the marina had to move up river to 'park'. I never heard of someone nearing a permit, I bet it'd be brilliant to be boating up by the big boys.
    mojor wrote: »
    Any radio stations broadcasting from the quay today? Wouldn't mind tuning in.
    Well, WLR fm would go to the opening of an envelope, so try 97.5fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

bryan ferry. waterboys. sharon shannon

don't know if anyone mentioned it already lol, something to do with the maratime fell I'd imagine

Duh!

Haha only messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Well all set for our boards reporters , we have sully in the air,mike on the quay , seanybiker in the pub and aboutobebanned in the doghouse. Happy reporting and let's be careful out there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In the doghouse for being nice enough to post Decies 2 tickets to Bryan Ferry. Makes Sense!

Advertisement