Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good single player game

Options
  • 13-04-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for ideas on a good single player game.

I have completed the CoD series, GTA series and have played all the FIFA games.

I'm not looking for a game with a lengthy enjoyable campaign to play and all ideas are appreciated. The only thing I do not like is unrealistic type games such as aliens everywhere and characters jumping 300 yards down the road so any other ideas are welcome. By the way I have a PS3.

Thanks for your time
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Drakes Fortune, Fallout, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Valkyrie Chronicles are a few you could check out on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Have played drakes fortune - great game. Thanks for the other suggestions will look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Orange box, its not the best port to PS3 but Half life is one of the best games ever made plus it has Portal on it too. Very old should be able to pick it up for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

There are quiet a few good single player games out there you might like:

Metal Gear Solid 4
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock 1 & 2
    Crysis 2
    Gran Turismo 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West aught to be really cheap right now. Fantastic single player game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

+1 fallout and yakuza 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Disk
    Uncharted
    Uncharted 2
    Killzone 2
    Killzone 3
    Little Big Planet
    Burnout Paradise
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Heavy Rain

PSN
    Comet Crash
    Wipeout
    Flower
    PixelJunk *
    God of War Trilogy
    Mushroom Wars
    Plant Vs Zombies
    Savage Moon
    Super Stardust HD
    Age of Booty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I know you said you don't like aliens and jumping 30 metres down the road but i can't recommend Crysis 2 enough. Even though that is exactly what it has, lots of aliens and you are the one jumping 30 metres up in the air.

The game takes a couple of hours to get into it's stride but once it does i have to say i would struggle to find a recent single player title that i have enjoyed more in recent times. It is also twice as long as most SP games on the market at the moment.

What makes this game stand out from other FPS titles on the market is the suit your character wears. The suit enhances the players abilities. these include speed burst, strength and a cloaking system. You need to control your use of theses abilities as they are based on a power system,which drains quickly. What this does is turns your suit into a type of mini game. It makes you consider your plan of attack in expansive playing areas, because if you're caught out in the open after decloaking,you're pretty much fooked.

The visuals are top notch and with a score written by Hollywood composer Hans Zimmer it really plays like an interactive movie. (Think Cloverfield)

The only negative would be some dodgy AI but this is something that i only noticed in the first couple of hours and haven't seen repeated in the second half of the game. This could be due to a patch but i don't know for certain.

If you are a fan of gaming i would really recommend that you at least rent this title.
    9.5/10

I see some people have suggested Half life 2. I never played this on the PS3 so can't comment on the port from PC but i will say if it plays well on the console you will love it.

1000 posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Do yourself a favour and pick up Demons Souls, you will not regret it. Dead rising is good craic too

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Mass effect 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption.

These will keep you occupied right through til Fifa 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

1) You will have a lot of jumping to do but still Assasins creed ( all 3 of them are great).

2) Demon Souls
    3) Fight night Champion

Then there is LA Noir coming in May. Watchout for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

I know you said you weren't looking for anything too unrealistic, but my favourite single player game on PS3 is Final Fantay XIII. A lot of people gave out about it because it was different from other Final Fantasy games and because it was too linear, but I loved it, it had a very good story, a new, interesting and fun battle system and interesting character development. If you are in any way interested in RPGs, you should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

go to playstation store and get urself ff7, demon souls is very good,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just cause 2 and Saints row 2 are both great single player sandbox games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just cause 2 and Saints row 2 are both great single player sandbox games :)

+1 both excellent games. Will keep you entertained for months even years rather than weeks.

Recently got back into Saints Row 2 myself and it really is a fantastic game. Cannot wait for SR3 at the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3 and 4, Bayonetta
    Resistance:Fall of man is a pretty good single player campaign considering you can pick it up for a fiver these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Assassin's Creed 2 - Lots of relaxing climbing and stabbing.
    Saint's Row 2 - Like GTA but fun.
    Mercenaries 2 - 3rd person shooter, earn cash with missions, buy vehicles, air-strikes, etc. Haven't seen another game like it. Very good if you're bored of the same rehashed formula... graphics are a bit dated, but the gameplay makes up for it in spades.

I wouldn't call any of them realistic, but they're not crazy unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Assassins Creed series is very good i think, I have the first two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

God of War 3 - simply epic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

if ya have never played it, get Call of Juarez:bound in blood. Get it, possibley one of the best single players I have ever played, its brilliant.. I loved every bit of it.. I'm currently going through Mafia 2.. So far its Meh, but I only started, possibley the christmas music is what's annoying me :pac: Heavy Rain has a great story line to it.. Do yourself a favour an stay away from both Kane and Lynch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

The Assassins Creed Series 1,2 and brotherhood, each one gets better and better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cRRn1234

Gran Turismo definitely! So much to do in it and the B-Spec Mode adds an even better take on the race concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

The God of War games.. 1-3 definitely

They have that "just one more bit" quality that is rare

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

LA Noire is great if your into detective stuff I'd highly recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Tomb Raider Trilogy.. Whats not to like about 3 games in 1?.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

I would highly recommend Infamous. Got a lend of it off a friend and it's brilliant. Even better is that it is one of the games to download for free from the Playstation Store when it's back. Pretty long and good campaign and it's a free roam game like GTA so you can mess about when not doing missions. Definitely worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

if you can look past the dated gfx and sometimes backwards gameplay mechanics of Final Fantasy then theres your single player games right there.

FF7 8 and 9 are long story driven rpg's that put modern games with 6-7 hour single player campaigns to shame. plent of side quests and diversions in all of them so you could end up with a save file with over 60 hours if you just plow though the main story without doing any real exploring.

More modern games I would recommend are Fallout3, Oblivion, and Fallout New Vegas fairly long games easily 20-30 hours of exploring and interesting quests, if they dont suit you then maybe God of War3 my first play though that was really fun MGS4 might be worth a try but you really have to be prepaired to sit back and watch cut scenes every half hour which can get incredibly annoying.

The Rockband and Guitar Hero games are pretty fun in single player, as long as your like most of the track selection then you can get a lot of fun out of it and GH and RB controllers should be on sale fairly cheap right now or soon as most stores are trying to offload their stock ( the demand for new rythim/music games has fallen very sharply in the last two years ) You might even find some bargins on adverts.ie if your really interested.

Red Dead Redemption is another big single player game, open end world like GTA4 without the nagging friend crap :P

Dragon Age: origins is another big single player rpg ( although i never really got into it ) its ment to be quite good

Bioshock might be up your alley if you enjoy first person shooters

Little big planet is pretty decent but not to my taste, rent or borrow a copy and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Assassins Creed series is very good i think, I have the first two of them.

Can't agree more - excellent.... 3rd one (Brotherhood) is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conor.b

try the assassins creed's games

Advertisement