Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old putty on windows.

• 13-04-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

you know the way putty seems to pull away from the glass after many years.

Well, suppose that the putty is still intact and the wood below is also perfect .

.My normal inclination is to dribble a bit of undercoat as I am repainting the window frames.
    As this is a bit fiddly and it is very easy to slip onto the glass with the brush (plus maybe the paint might crack again quite soon ) would it be better to squeeze a bit of putty into these cracks (the length of the glass - not the small cracks in the putty itself) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

what about using a tube of painters caulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

sounds good but would putty be better? I am talking about the exterior mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You can get a glaziers caulk in a cartridge that is designed to be used in a regular cartridge (skeleton) gun. It's compatible with old putty and takes paint well and would be easy to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

would the time to apply be when the putty has actually come loose or would it be better to fill in the little gaps that appear before they have got to that stage ?
    I am not suggesting one should take upon this as a task in its own right but just if you were in the middle of general maintainance and happened to notice it .

Advertisement