Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next years timetable

Options
  • 13-04-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice next years timetable which was mailed out to the student email?

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself by looking at it but...

They've moved the bleedin exams till after Christmas :mad: ... such a wreck the head, much better having them before xmas..

http://www.dkit.ie/files/2011.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the 3rd a fúckin' Jan, are they having a laugh?
    That pretty much makes Christmas week our study week.
    Honestly, what sort of numpty made that call? Most certainly not benefitting the overall results of the students marks, which should be the goal of the Institute at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ah, one more reason to enjoy the fact I finished a two years ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Would think it has something to do with the push for university status.

Whatever about it, they clearly didn't consult students, as I doubt any would go for it.

It was inevitable that this was going to happen but the 3rd of Jan is taking the piss a bit, proper universities have them after xmas but at the end of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

draffodx wrote: »
    It was inevitable that this was going to happen but the 3rd of Jan is taking the piss a bit, proper universities have them after xmas but at the end of Jan.

I thought they'd have them at the end of January too, around the same time as DCU have theirs in case the merger goes through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Equium wrote: »
    I thought they'd have them at the end of January too, around the same time as DCU have theirs in case the merger goes through.

Whats this merger all about?

I dont really get either how, what time of year the exams are have to do with the college getting university status? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

There have been rumours that there will be a link established between DCU and DkIT in which the latter will be able to have their degrees conferred by the former. Basically it means you'll be able to get a university degree which many employers see as more prestigous. So it's not exactly a merger, although that has also been discussed to as far as I know.
    The whole idea first leaked a few years ago and has cropped up again this year. Here's some links:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255017

http://www.dkit.ie/content/download/7189/43008/file/DkITimes%20Volume%202%20Issue%2019.pdf

On the issue of having exams in January , the only difference that would make is that if the link-up does happen, then the exams would be at the same time for each college which would ease administration etc. If the exams in DkIT were set by DCU you couldn't have one set of students doing the exam before the others!
    Other than that there's no connection between when exams are set and gaining university status. Trinity, for example, doesn't have Christmas exams at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

^^^ thats interesting, wasnt aware of that.

Did anyone read the email yesterday? Have you ever read such complete rubbish in your life?
    Dear All,

Following detailed discussion and inputs from the Academic Council and
    others the academic calendar for 2011-2012 was recently agreed by the
    Executive Board - see link below. There are a number of changes to the
    traditional calendar and the most significant change is that the start
    of the first semester will be later in September (by one week) than in
    previous years and because of this the end of semester examinations will
    take place after the Christmas holidays.

The later start will allow a full week of induction for first year
    students when there are no other students present on campus and also
    gives more time to complete repeat exam processing etc. It was felt that
    the start to the current academic year was unsatisfactory in this regard.

I know that there are mixed views on the merits of examinations before
    or after Christmas and that a majority of students prefer examinations
    before Christmas but by placing them after Christmas students are given
    more time to study.

Denis Cummins
    President

http://www.dkit.ie/calendar2011
    --

Mixed views? you'd be hard pressed to find a single student who thinks this is a good idea. Check out the link attached, its the most incomprehensible document ever created... purposely no doubt.

This 'more time to study' line is a joke, the week prior to the exams is when most people put in a huge amount of work... which is now post xmas and 2 days after new years. Seriously WTF??

I was half tempted to reply to the email, expressing my views, what do you guys think bad/good idea?

Doop wrote: »
    I was half tempted to reply to the email, expressing my views, what do you guys think bad/good idea?

I would and also CC the student union on any emails you send and receive. I don't think exams after xmas would be a big deal if they were at the end of Jan giving students plenty of time to prepare (by having all or most of that month off, with a later finish up date before xmas) but having them start 2 days after new years eve is ridiculous. Even the most dedicated student will find it hard to study over what is meant to be a relaxing and family orientated break.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Sent an email to Mr Cummins earlier, it was the last line in the email that really pissed me off

• Advertisement

Sent him a reply, have a look, think I covered every angle.

I would like to voice a serious concern over the proposed start date for
    the Christmas examinations.
    Students will have very little time in which to prepare for the exams
    should this proposal go ahead. Even the most dedicated student will find
    it very difficult to study between Saint Stephens's Day and New Years Eve,
    that is traditionally a festive period to be spent with family and
    enjoyed.
    This period is not being respected by such a proposal.

Also, a high number of students have part time jobs which help to keep
    them in college during the year. Christmas week is an exceptionally busy
    period for every business, and part time workers are needed more than ever
    during that period. The proposal to begin exams at the start of January
    would make it near impossible to achieve a high grade as study time would
    be severely limited.

There are a higher number of mature students than ever before in the
    college. Many such students have partners and children. The Christmas
    period is one in which mature students should be spending with their
    families in comfort, and not be in a room studying for the days leading up
    to the 2nd January.

Finally, a high number of students rely on going into the library as it is
    a suitable place in which to study. Will the library even be open during
    the finish date in December and the start date in January?

Students have to travel from all over Ireland and beyond to attend the
    college, has any considerations even been made for students from abroad?
    The cost of flights home to their respective countries and then returning
    at the start of the year are at an all time high over the Christmas
    period, not to mention the possibility of adverse weather conditions such
    as that of the previous years, which could seriously impede travel
    conditions.

Consideration for all of the above should be taken seriously, an
    alternative recommendation would be to start the examinations at the end
    of January, giving the students time to rest and enjoy their Christmas
    period in peace, then return to the college and have a two week period in
    which to prepare for the examinations.

Thanking you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The silence from the SU has being deafening, a week later and all they have done is say how annoyed they are with it, and that was hidden away on the website.

*Edit: Are they both on holidays??? could they not have waited about another month until the college was closed!

I forwarded the email in my earlier post to the SU the same day, and haven't heard back. Must be on Easter hols.
    Had a look at their website, all I can see is this:
    James Clarke, President of DkIT SU said:

"This calendar will have significant repercussions on our members, and I'm absolutely outraged that we were not even notified of this decision, never mind consulted. To find out about the new calendar when I opened my emails on Friday and this simply isn't good enough for an Institute that is supposedly student centred."

"We will fight this decision tooth and nail as we know through various polls that our students prefer their exams before the Christmas break. I have called for a meeting with Denis Cummins and I will be seeking assistance from all class reps during the week. We have to assess what the situation is at the minute as we have no information on the decision, but we will be doing all in our power to overturn the calendar change."

David Branagan, Vice-President of DkIT SU said:

"From listening to the feedback over the past few days, it is clear that students' feel they should be assessed at the end of the semester, and not have to start the next one with exams. For the Students' Union not to have been consulted of this major change in the college calender is very disappointing.

I would accept this change if the college could show that it has been made due to an educational benefit for students. However, as of yet I have not seen any evidence of this. In the Student Services Annual Report 2009/10, which was sent to all students on March 18th, the Effects of Academic Calendar on Students were examined. The 1630 students surveyed were asked if they preferred exams before, or after Christmas, and the results clearly illustrated how the large majority of students prefer exams before the Christmas Break. Also, the conclusion/recommendation section, states "examinations to remain before Christmas in semester 1."

The Christmas period can actually be one of the most stressful times of the year so I simply do not believe that saying "it gives more time to study" is an adequate response to justifying this change. I'm not sure if the college have fully taken into account how this change will affect International Students, Students due on Placement, Students with Children, etc. I would welcome a meeting with the members of the Executive Board in order to further discuss the need for this change to be reversed."

Above taken from here

As said, we HAVE to fight them tooth and nail on this one. They are showing absolutely ZERO respect for us the students, the heartbeat of the college.

Slashman X wrote: »

Very nice.

The student union should really set about organising a strike for the start of next semester.

Only way anything is going to happen is if all students push for change.

Is the SU actually doing anything at all about this?? They havent said a word since that thing they put up the website over a month ago.

The VP just keeps posting complete rubbish on facebook, suppose they arent too worried since its not their exams that are going to be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 miniPhil

cc87 wrote: »
    Is the SU actually doing anything at all about this?? They havent said a word since that thing they put up the website over a month ago.
    When have the students union done anything about anything. There's a whole website just about the things they never did. I'm amazed they got re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

The VP just keeps posting complete rubbish on facebook, suppose they arent too worried since its not their exams that are going to be affected.

Personally I don't think the SU are competent. The college showed exactly what it thought of the SU when it didn't even consult them on the issue of the academic calendar.

I emailed Dennis Cummins myself highlighting my disappointment in how the college handled the matter, quoting the student services study which recommended that exams are not moved and study week is reinstated. he hasn't replied yet. I plan on posting that email to my blog tonight, I'll edit the link in later.

It says a lot when the college are ignoring firstly the recommendations of the report, ignoring the SU and finally ignoring the students. All we have heard is one casual, somewhat patronizing response from our college president and a statement from the SU saying they are working on it. Now they are ignoring well worded and well thought out replies from students, or has anyone received a reply yet?

Noticed that there isn't a chat option on the student union forum any more.
    There is now a forum that requires people to register in order to post there.
    Suppose they want to know who is posting comments on the forum, seems fairly stupid really.

I think they realise that anyone with half a brain is not in support of them and they are hoping to link email accounts to people
    (can't be having any bad press on the SU website).

Well considering their re election campaign was only based on things they petitioned for or showed support for, they must have some experience at petitioning anyway.

I dont think they have the balls to go against the college president.

The problem is that once people get into the students union they get re elected by first years who are easily swayed by a few half decent nights out, not that the 2 lads have managed to to that too well either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

Yeah they seem to be making it more complicated for students to post opinions. It took me a good few hours to receive my confirmation email from the forum when I signed up.

Probably brought in because of all the anonymous posting. People rarely put there name behind their views anymore so it hardly helps.

Here is my blog post/response to Denis Cummins email about the academic calendar, James Clarke was also sent a copy

Just thinking about this again.
    Are lecturers going to be available to answer student questions around new years?
    They're barely available anyway, with this put in place they will be non-existent around that time.

There's so many negatives about this it is unreal.

It pretty much means that we get no real break from college work from september until the end of summer exams.

I can see how that would make it easier for us alright :rolleyes:

if the SU had any codge-ogs they would be organizing a protest rally outside Cummin's office.
    Threaten to boycott going to class, any further participation with the college until we are heard. Have to remind these suits that we students are the ones keeping the place open, not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

merciful mother. i am hoping to get into dkit this fall and reading this i want to cry. frig off i do NOT want to be starting my christmas xams on 3rd january. either give them to me before christmas or at the end of january. i want to enjoy my christmas. go home and be with my fam, chill and not stress college. this is a complete joke:(:mad::(

Supposedly exams are now starting on the 7th instead of the 3rd. An improvement but not much of one. Still dont think its giving people enough time.

Starts on the Saturday now (also looks like there's exams on the Sunday, could be wrong though).

I love the way Denis Cummins' email said "Following representations ... from a
    large number of students", no mention of the student union doing anything.

Dear All,

Following representations on the Academic Calendar 2011-2012 from a
    large number of students the Executive Board has agreed the postponement
    of the start of examinations for semester 1 to 7th January 2012. The
    revised calendar is available on the Institute website.
    --
    Denis Cummins
    President
    Dundalk Institute of Technology

Load of cock thats what that is. If they can knock it back a week, why not knock it back 3 weeks. Pure awkward, and the SU aren't exactly rallying for the cause. Very disappointing.

From what I hear, the reason the change was made was so that lecturers would have more time to correct repeat examinations in september. The poor souls were complaining they didnt have enough time.

They were saying that students who repeated exams werent registered in time, moodle wasnt working and timetables werent finalised. This extra week in september isnt going to solve any of those problems

• Advertisement

From what I hear, the reason the change was made was so that lecturers would have more time to correct repeat examinations in september. The poor souls were complaining they didnt have enough time.

They were saying that students who repeated exams werent registered in time, moodle wasnt working and timetables werent finalised. This extra week in september isnt going to solve any of those problems
    Yeah, if they sorted out their own infrastructure, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Advertisement