Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else notice this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

no. but what I did notice was that you recently had a thread on the helpdesk complaining about the moderator djpbarry which was closed off by Zaph. and now I notice that all three of the threads you are linking to contain discussions moderated by djpbarry who is not actually being rude or aggressive but is instead issuing a mod warning to stop threads descending into trench warfare or personal insults, if the users decide not to post after a mod warning then they either have nothing further to say or they feel they cannot put forward their case without contravening the forum charter or website rules and they, wisely, elect to stay quiet instead.

while we're on the topic, anyone ever notice how if some users dont get their own way on one thread they'll usually try to cause difficulties for a mod in a roundabout way on a different forum? I think its because some users dont realise that mods can, and indeed do, check user histories and past posts before responding to see if there is some ulterior motive to the highlighting of a perceived issue.

now, would you like this thread to address your objection to djpbarry's post as per your original complaint or would you like to further explore the threads you linked to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

LoLth wrote: »
    I notice that all three of the threads you are linking to contain discussions moderated by djpbarry who is not actually being rude or aggressive but is instead issuing a mod warning to stop threads descending into trench warfare or personal insults, if the users decide not to post after a mod warning then they either have nothing further to say or they feel they cannot put forward their case without contravening the forum charter or website rules and they, wisely, elect to stay quiet instead.

When I open those threads, I don't see the moderator's last post issuing any warning as his final post, the post that everyone else decides to not respond to.

It's an attempt to discuss with another member or members, and the other member or members doesn't reply or respond.
    but what I did notice was that you recently had a thread on the helpdesk complaining about the moderator djpbarry which was closed off by Zaph.

while we're on the topic, anyone ever notice how if some users dont get their own way on one thread they'll usually try to cause difficulties for a mod in a roundabout way on a different forum? I think its because some users dont realise that mods can, and indeed do, check user histories and past posts before responding to see if there is some ulterior motive to the highlighting of a perceived issue.

now, would you like this thread to address your objection to djpbarry's post as per your original complaint or would you like to further explore the threads you linked to here.

As the rest of your post is rhetorical, it doesn’t require a response. Why it’s relevant I’m not sure. It’s a fact that the three threads I referenced were examples of something I have noticed, and its also a fact that none of the three ended with the moderator issuing a warning, as you seem to claim. They end with him trying to discuss a topic with others which, for some reason, all the other decide not to discuss with him.

If you are implying that you think these facts are wrong because I made a complaint about the same moderator, or that if someone makes a complaint about a moderator then that somehow means that the substance, and facts, in an observation can be ignored, then I disagree.

The facts are there for everyone to see, and if you think they are not facts, or if you think they are moderator warnings, then everyone else will have to look for themselves and decide for themselves.

I am an adult and am quite capable of disagreeing with another adult, which I do with you in this case, and move on. I just wondered if anyone else might have noticed and if this is something which happens regularly, as it appears to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In the first 5 pages of threads on that forum (100 threads), djpbarry has the last post in 16 of them. 2 of those are stickies, and 6 of them were locked (so you'd expect a mod to have the last post in them). So that's 8 threads out of 100, stretching back to December 2010, where djpbarry "had the last word". Don't see much of a pattern there. Especially in a relatively low-traffic forum, where the mod-to-poster ratio is much higher than somewhere like Politics

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

easychair wrote: »
    When I open those threads, I don't see the moderator's last post issuing any warning as his final post, the post that everyone else decides to not respond to.

It's an attempt to discuss with another member or members, and the other member or members doesn't reply or respond.

if you post on multiple threads in the same forum, you're bound to be the last one to post on at least one of them. Are you perhaps unaware of the posts above that where the moderator is responding to user's questions and assertions? or the posts where the users are responding to the mods posts themselves? Perhaps the mod just really knows his stuff or, when he requests clarification of a point the user is unable to support their argument?

As the rest of your post is rhetorical, it doesn’t require a response. Why it’s relevant I’m not sure. It’s a fact that the three threads I referenced were examples of something I have noticed, and its also a fact that none of the three ended with the moderator issuing a warning, as you seem to claim. They end with him trying to discuss a topic with others which, for some reason, all the other decide not to discuss with him.

in two of the three thread the mod you are referring to, djpbarry, posted mod warnings or took moderator action on a post. maybe not right at the end, but close enough. In one of the threads, djpbarry posted a mod warning to a user then posted a post of his own which was not responded to.
    If you are implying that you think these facts are wrong because I made a complaint about the same moderator, or that if someone makes a complaint about a moderator then that somehow means that the substance, and facts, in an observation can be ignored, then I disagree.

I am suggesting that the possibility exists that your view of this moderator's actions is not as unbiased as you think or that there is an ulterior motive for posting this enquiry on the feedback forum. While I would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt I do like to be fully aware of the facts and I would also like other users to be aware fo the facts before they make a decision or lend an opinion.
    The facts are there for everyone to see, and if you think they are not facts, or if you think they are moderator warnings, then everyone else will have to look for themselves and decide for themselves.

I am an adult and am quite capable of disagreeing with another adult, which I do with you in this case, and move on. I just wondered if anyone else might have noticed and if this is something which happens regularly, as it appears to.

and thats fine and good. I still have to question the facts as I see them:

new enough user
    never posted in the forum being questioned
    recently registered a complaint against the mod in question that was not upheld
    posts a feedback thread on that same moderator that casts the moderator in an unflattering light

you can surely see how I could have a concern over the agenda for this thread and also how I could wonder if this is actually motivated by the desire to provide feedback of if you are perhaps using this forum as a vehicle to rally support for your dislike of a moderator who, as far as I can tell, you have never had any interaction with apart from on one thread in politics where you disagreed with a statement he made and he then poitned out that you had misinterpreted his comment.

However, with all the facts in the open and not just those selected by one possibly biased side or the other, I'm sure users are more than capable of making up their own minds on the issue. At least on that we can agree :)

if you post on multiple threads in the same forum, you're bound to be the last one to post on at least one of them. Are you perhaps unaware of the posts above that where the moderator is responding to user's questions and assertions? or the posts where the users are responding to the mods posts themselves? Perhaps the mod just really knows his stuff or, when he requests clarification of a point the user is unable to support their argument?

Perhaps. We can all speculate. But it looks to me that he's trying to stimulate them to respond, rather than trying to end a conversation. The interesting thing is that the other guys seem to bow out at that point, for whatever reasons.

in two of the three thread the mod you are referring to, djpbarry, posted mod warnings or took moderator action on a post. maybe not right at the end, but close enough. In one of the threads, djpbarry posted a mod warning to a user then posted a post of his own which was not responded to.

Actually, that’s what my complaint to which you referred earlier was about. That djbarry takes part in a discussion, then when he doesn’t like the answers from the other guys, he dons his mods hat and starts to threaten them. Maybe that’s why some guys seem to stop discussing with him?

I am suggesting that the possibility exists that your view of this moderator's actions is not as unbiased as you think or that there is an ulterior motive for posting this enquiry on the feedback forum. While I would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt I do like to be fully aware of the facts and I would also like other users to be aware fo the facts before they make a decision or lend an opinion.

Sure, you might be right and I might not be wholly unbiased. That could also be true for you, and for anyone else who might have an opinion. As to the sinister sounding ‘ulterior motive’, I’ve been trying to think what that might be, and can’t imagine what it might be.

All I have said is that I have observed something, and wondered if other had also.

I still have to question the facts as I see them:

new enough user
    never posted in the forum being questioned
    recently registered a complaint against the mod in question that was not upheld
    posts a feedback thread on that same moderator that casts the moderator in an unflattering light

Sure, I am new enough, have never posted on the forum, and I did make a complaint. However, the links I gave cast the author in whatever light we each decide, and if you decide they cast him in an unflattering light, that’s your decision. I don’t decide that, and only wonder why guys in that forum seem to stop chatting and discussing with him.
    you can surely see how I could have a concern over the agenda for this thread and also how I could wonder if this is actually motivated by the desire to provide feedback of if you are perhaps using this forum as a vehicle to rally support for your dislike of a moderator who, as far as I can tell, you have never had any interaction with apart from on one thread in politics where you disagreed with a statement he made and he then poitned out that you had misinterpreted his comment.

However, with all the facts in the open and not just those selected by one possibly biased side or the other, I'm sure users are more than capable of making up their own minds on the issue. At least on that we can agree :)

The only agenda is to observe and comment. Sure, it’s not exactly flattering to djbarry, but then its not flatterin to me that you accuse me of having ulterior motives! But then, that’s life I guess.

I think we probably agree on much more than just that others will make up their own minds. It’s only an observation that I make, and hardly of much consequence, but it does highlight the difficulties of trying to ride the two horses of moderation and discussion.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056225183&page=9

Another thread where djbarry interacts with a member, doesn't like the members answers, so proceeds to don his moderators hat, wave his moderators stick, and threaten the member.

there appears to be no way to interact with djbarry as a member, when he seems to think it acceptable to switch to his moderators role and threaten anyone when he doesn't like their responses.

Advertisement