Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing batteries in smoke alarm

Options
  • 13-04-2011 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Do you have to turn off the power to do this? as far as i know it is wired to the electrics with battery back up

he says nothing about turning off power, is his battery only?

my smoke alarm chirps which i understand means battery is low but it passes the test when i press the button

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

you can turn off the power if you want, thats if they are mains powered. But do it during day light as they maybe on the same mcb as the lights and so you may not be able to see what you are doing....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree
    always turn power off when undertaking electrical work

it would be good practice to replace all other detector batteries at the same time also

this thread may also help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64665018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya replace the lot together

you have to be careful with batteries -the bloody things can keep chirping if you fit pound shop batteries

which can be confusing for people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Good tip: change them the same weekend the clocks change. Twice a year, all together. No problems with chirping, not much wasted battery energy. Easy to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

why would you do that

• Advertisement
Advertisement