Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears of War 3 public beta information

• 13-04-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you are all aware of this, but here is information on the unlockables for the Public Beta.

These carry over to your actual Retail purchase of GoW 3, but when game launches these items will be alot more effort to achieve.
    Multiplayer Release Dates

Bulletstorm Epic Edition purchase – 18 th April

Open Public – 25 th April at 10:00am GMT.

Public Multiplayer Beta

Enlist in the most explosive gaming event of the spring: the Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Beta!

Get into the Beta by preordering Gears of War 3 through select retailers. The Beta begins April 25 and ends May 15.

For those of you who purchased the Bulletstorm Epic Edition (on Xbox 360 only), you get early access to the Beta, beginning April 18.

Three new multiplayer modes and four exclusive maps will be rolled out during the Beta period -- all running on dedicated servers. This is your chance to help shape the most anticipated game of 2011.

In the Beta you can play Team Deathmatch mode on the four new maps (Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town); Capture the Leader and King of the Hill gameplay modes will be added later in the Beta period. Also, be sure to look out for a surprise event weekend that you won't want to miss.

Not only will you get an early taste of the final chapter in this blockbuster trilogy, but you'll also have access to exclusive content that you can permanently unlock and carry over to your Gears of War 3 gamer profile when the retail game launches on September 20.

Exclusive Beta Unlockables

· Flaming Hammerburst - Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.

* Note - This is only available to Bulletstorm Epic Edition customers accessing the Beta 18 th -24 th April *

· Flaming Lancer - Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.

· Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.

· Flaming Gnasher Shotgun - Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.

· Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear. - Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.

· Thrashball Cole - Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style. Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.

· Gold-Plated Retro Lancer - Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.

Product Information

The hopes of humankind sit heavily on your shoulders as the war rages on. Can you handle the pressure? As grizzled war hero Marcus Fenix, you will fight to the last to defeat the menacing Locust threat and deliver hope to our shattered human civilization. The last human city has fallen and a fearsome new danger is rising, will you be able to stem the flow of destruction? With the elite Delta Squad force at your back, you must lead the way to victory and decimate the enemy. Turn the tide of war as you battle to annihilate the Locust Horde.

Gears of War 3 is the thrilling finale to the saga that has captivated millions. Experience the heart-pounding action exclusively on Xbox 360 and enjoy improved cooperative and competitive multiplayer action with Xbox LIVE. Fight as the leader of Delta Squad as you journey through the intense, immersive plotline. New playable COG characters and fresh challenges deliver an extra dimension to the storyline. Do you have what it takes to obliterate vicious new enemies? Gears of War 3 offers players a visually stunning experience with advanced Unreal Engine 3 technology providing rich graphics, animation and lighting to bring the enthralling storyline fully to life.

Features

· Fight as Marcus Fenix as you advance through the gripping storyline and strive to save humankind

· Challenge the menacing Locust force as a member of Delta Squad

· Defeat ferocious enemies and complete fresh challenges as new playable COG characters

· Updated Xbox LIVE multiplayer technology allows you to experience improved cooperative and competitive gameplay

· Stunning graphics draw you into a destroyed landscape with advanced Unreal Engine 3 technology

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My mate has been playing the Beta, said its ok, but a bit similar to the others.
    All the servers for GOW3 Europe will also be hosted in Dublin too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

It says here the beta doesnt start till 18th if yu have BulletStorm. I thought it was starting the 10th? Or is it only in US or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

how can you sign up for the public beta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

allanb49 wrote: »
    how can you sign up for the public beta?

Preorder Gears 3, of buy the epic edition of Bulletstorm on the 360 seem to be the main channels to gain access. Gamestop.ie were doing some offer on new account registrations at one point too (how I got my code), but that may be over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Floodric wrote: »
    It says here the beta doesnt start till 18th if yu have BulletStorm. I thought it was starting the 10th? Or is it only in US or something?

Keys are being given out now on Twitter and facebook.

GearsofWar3 Epic Games, follow them and tweet #gears3beta. Plenty of other ways on Twitter also, I've failed so far but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i got one from gamestop earlier today. i already had an account with them so i emailed them asking for a code.

mailrewop wrote: »
    i got one from gamestop earlier today. i already had an account with them so i emailed them asking for a code.

just tried that. I signed up some time ago when they were advertising the beta for signing up. Hopefully they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Seen this on another site, works for me. Use at your own risk.;)

Steps:
    1. Download and extract the beta from: http://www.multiupload.com/I2HU90MU5F
    2. Plug in your USB memory stick into your Xbox
    3. Goto My Xbox > System Settings > Memory > USB Storage Device > Configure Now
    4. Wait while the Xbox reformats your memory stick and then plug it into your PC
    5. Download USBXTAFGUI_v44 and run it.
    6. Goto File > Open First USB Device
    7. It should load from your memory stick and under "File System" you should see "Cache Partition" and "Data Partition"
    8. The folder structure for the memory stick needs to be the following. Create folders as needed:

Data Partition > Content > 0000000000000000 > 4D5389B9 (drag extracted beta folder here)

9. Goto File > Close Current Drive
    10. Unplug the memory stick from your PC and plug it back into your Xbox.
    11. Goto My Xbox > Game Library > Game Demos & Trials and look for Gears of War 3 Beta
    12. Load the launcher and it will prompt you to download a 500~ mb update.
    13. You're done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

So I preordered gears at game - how do I get my beta code? Ae you supposed to get it in the shop or do they text it out or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

mancduff do you reckon that will be ok without getting a console ban? I know it's not a full game just a beta but is it still against MS Terms of Service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

When the public beta is released, you can simply just download the client online.

You can actually download the client now afaik, but you just cant do anything with it.

Literally on public release there i no codes or messing, everyone can jump on board, client will be in the spotlight of your dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

SeantheMan wrote: »
    My mate has been playing the Beta, said its ok, but a bit similar to the others.

That's good if true. I couldn't get a match in GOW2 unless I changed my country to UK on the xbox and even then it was slow finding people after that update.

Another thing, can someone please confirm if we can get this by actually pre-ordering in store at GAME and they e-mail it to you or anywhere else (except for Gamestop because people from other countries dried up the supply of codes from their site).

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    That's good if true. I couldn't get a match in GOW2 unless I changed my country to UK on the xbox and even then it was slow finding people after that update.

Another thing, can someone please confirm if we can get this by actually pre-ordering in store at GAME and they e-mail it to you or anywhere else (except for Gamestop because people from other countries dried up the supply of codes from their site).

My daughter went into Game in the Square, Tallaght and got me a code. She pre-ordered and paid a fiver deposit, She was handed the code then and there.

Cool. But when was this? I might go to the Game closest to me tommorow and try. I doubt they have run out though.

Cool. But when was this? I might go to the Game closest to me tommorow and try. I doubt they have run out though.

Saturday 3PM ,a couple of hours ago. He had a bundle of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Swish! Where's you hear this? At least I'll be able to find players, unlike Gears 2 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Healium wrote: »
    Swish! Where's you hear this? At least I'll be able to find players, unlike Gears 2 :mad:

Had that problem before too, changed my region on Xbox settings to UK and no problem ever finding games after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So beta starts on Monday? 18?

So beta starts on Monday? 18?

For people with Bulletstorm Epic Edition , yes. For people who preorder any edition of Gears 3 from GAME, they get it on the 25th.

I'm just wondering if you download the beta from a preorder code, are you still blocked from playing until the 25th?

• Advertisement

Whoever gets in the beta, if you want to play, my GT is RHIN094 (that's a zero) but I probably won't have it until next Monday.

For people with Bulletstorm Epic Edition , yes. For people who preorder any edition of Gears 3 from GAME, they get it on the 25th.

I'm just wondering if you download the beta from a preorder code, are you still blocked from playing until the 25th?
    Yep. The code just gives you a portal, less than 100MB. You can only download the beta from the 25th. I got all excited last week when Bulletstorm got a 90MB patch (downloading the portal into the game, I'd imagine). I hit the shiny new beta button, got the Epic logo on screen... and then got sent to Dashboard :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

mancduff wrote: »
    Seen this on another site, works for me. Use at your own risk.;)

Steps:
    1. Download and extract the beta from: http://www.multiupload.com/I2HU90MU5F
    2. Plug in your USB memory stick into your Xbox
    3. Goto My Xbox > System Settings > Memory > USB Storage Device > Configure Now
    4. Wait while the Xbox reformats your memory stick and then plug it into your PC
    5. Download USBXTAFGUI_v44 and run it.
    6. Goto File > Open First USB Device
    7. It should load from your memory stick and under "File System" you should see "Cache Partition" and "Data Partition"
    8. The folder structure for the memory stick needs to be the following. Create folders as needed:

Data Partition > Content > 0000000000000000 > 4D5389B9 (drag extracted beta folder here)

9. Goto File > Close Current Drive
    10. Unplug the memory stick from your PC and plug it back into your Xbox.
    11. Goto My Xbox > Game Library > Game Demos & Trials and look for Gears of War 3 Beta
    12. Load the launcher and it will prompt you to download a 500~ mb update.
    13. You're done!

It works 4 me. Cheers! :D

Looks like the beta is going to be out at 9AM Irish time, all going well! SWEET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Healium wrote: »
    Looks like the beta is going to be out at 9AM Irish time, all going well! SWEET!

Actually i am playing now and there's almost 10k people playing atm. all feckin usb mods :D i can now trade in my bulletstorm epic edition at last!

I hope you all get banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

WTH??!! I signed up to gamestop.ie during the promotion to get the beta code emailed to you, but never got one??! :confused: Anyone else have this problem or any spares going around?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Notorioux wrote: »
    It works 4 me. Cheers! :D

Just a warning that an admin on the epic forums said you would get banned from both the beta and possibly the full game if you do this
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=774720

Beta is out!

500MB patch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

First impressions = sensational

Sawn off shotgun is a beast

Dedicated servers run perfectly so far

Advertisement