Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears of War 3 public beta information

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a 48 hour trial?
    Are you kidding me?! :pac:

You're raging hard that you can't download the beta, and even if you could, you don't have LIVE to play it?!

If you make a new account, you get a free month of LIVE (if it's one of the first ~4 accounts made on that console)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

anyone got an extra code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Got the beta and absolutely love it. They're really doing this game right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lads how do you get trashball Cole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've used up the batteries in both my joypads playing this... Absolutely fantastic

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Lads how do you get trashball Cole?

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=767359
    Exclusive Beta Unlockables
    • Flaming Hammerburst Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.
    • Flaming Lancer Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.
    • Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.
    • Flaming Gnasher Shotgun Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.
    • Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear. Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.
    • Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style. Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.
    • Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.

Video of all the unlockable beta executions. Sad that all the ones I haven't unlocked yet are just "pick up heavy weapon and smash their face open"

I'll just stick to ripping off one of their limbs, and slapping them silly with it. Always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

RANKED matchmaking

My team's levels = 2,4,1,5,10 other team = 28,28,30,24,23

Won't bother playing until it's fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What's the benefit of playing ranked? I get it that in some games you need to play ranked in order to unlock achievements, but is there some benefit in the beta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I assumed that ranked matchmaking would balance the teams, apparently not.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    I assumed that ranked matchmaking would balance the teams, apparently not.
    Well, public balances teams after every game, anyway.

Also, level =/= skill. I get owned by level 1's all the time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Healium wrote: »
    Well, public balances teams after every game, anyway.

Also, level =/= skill. I get owned by level 1's all the time :(

Well given the new influx of people to the beta this week, this would be especially true at the moment. Come this time next week, level will probably be a bit more reflective of how people are faring, as those who have played a lot of GOW before will likely level up quickly enough in that time, and there won't be that many of that type of player coming in for the first time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Have no friends playing this, would love to play with some of you sexy boys.

GT: Oliver Cole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Not sure if its a glitch or exploit, but when your in cover on say sandbags, and another person is in cover on the side in front of you, when they jump over the cover, they hit you and stun you for an easy shotgun kill every time. Is this normal?

Also, pretty sure ive seen people roadie running on trenches :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Tinie wrote: »
    Not sure if its a glitch or exploit, but when your in cover on say sandbags, and another person is in cover on the side in front of you, when they jump over the cover, they hit you and stun you for an easy shotgun kill every time. Is this normal?

Thats normal .

Also, pretty sure ive seen people roadie running on trenches :eek:
    It's a feature, and if you're stupid enough to camp behind a sandbag, you deserve a quick, painful death :p

Remember, it works both ways. If he hides behind that cover, instead of immediately jumping over to get you, you can make the first move and stun HIM! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Went to watch Thor in Liffey Valley (brilliant film :)) and stopped by the Game there to pre-order GOW3. Got my beta code and now in the process of downloading the 507mb update. My download speeds a bit slow but can't wait to get crackin on this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

jamescd wrote: »
    Went to watch Thor in Liffey Valley (brilliant film :)) and stopped by the Game there to pre-order GOW3. Got my beta code and now in the process of downloading the 507mb update. My download speeds a bit slow but can't wait to get crackin on this :D

Then you have the update to download as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I didn't get any more updates after the 507mb one I mentioned in my previous post though :confused:

Just played a few games there. I thought I'd be getting my a** handed to me since I stopped playing GOW2 a long time ago but it looks like I haven't lost my touch :D Doin some serious a**kickin, lovin it so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It's a feature, and if you're stupid enough to camp behind a sandbag, you deserve a quick, painful death :p

Remember, it works both ways. If he hides behind that cover, instead of immediately jumping over to get you, you can make the first move and stun HIM! :D
    How is it stupid and can be called camping if your in cover? Thats part of the appeal and gameplay of gears. I think its a stupid addition, it removes the tension that was there from Gears 1 (dont even mention that shíte that was gears 2) where two people would wait for another to make a move, now its whoever jumps over the sandbag first and stuns the person gets the kill. Thats definitely going to be exploited by those type of players online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

How is it stupid and can be called camping if your in cover? Thats part of the appeal and gameplay of gears. I think its a stupid addition, it removes the tension that was there from Gears 1 (dont even mention that shíte that was gears 2) where two people would wait for another to make a move, now its whoever jumps over the sandbag first and stuns the person gets the kill. Thats definitely going to be exploited by those type of players online.

It was put into the game to speed things up as opposed to gears 2 where you could have a stalemate due to someone camping in a spot where the other player cant get over to them with out being killed.
    Now you can just jump over and boot them in the face:D

As mentioned, it speeds things up. Somebody is more likely to make a move, now that they can stun you. Doesn't mean any smart player won't tear them to shreds with a Retro Lancer on their run over to you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi,

the codes that ye got to access the beta..can it be used a few times? Like say when u get a code for something on the ps store it can be used up to 5 times, what about these ones on xbox live?

If so can someone please PM me a code to access the beta, pretty please????

:)

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi,

the codes that ye got to access the beta..can it be used a few times?
    Nope

Capture The Leader has gone live early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Capture The Leader has gone live early

Yes! Very fun mode it is too... when your team isn't playing it a like a regular deathmatch that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well just got in to beta too. And it has the same reason I newer bothered with gow multiplayer before:

Barrel roll shotgun bastords!

Why do they even have cover system... Fancy pancreas etc? They are all ****. I cam see only people with shotguns and barrel rolling...

Yeah anather bit: I jumped in to beta and went to just see WTF is it all about. Had few kills and then lads were shouting for me to come over to bc2. After few hours I came back to gow3 and after first match I got a lovely penalty for 4000 points for quoting early?!?! All cool with penalties, but 4000 points?! Are you serious?! For second level you need 4.5k points and that droped me -3000 points.... Holy **** I almost quoted same second...

I will still give anather go, but holy shot I hate barrel roll shotgun combo....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Nothing as satisfying as giving a barrell rolling shotty a face full of retro lancer and then finishing with a curb stomp :D.

Not sure what you got -4000 points for tho, most I've had is -10 for suiciding with an incendiary grenade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I am not sure why, but all the characters have bunny hats..
    *edit* nope, full face masks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

JD1763 wrote: »
    Nothing as satisfying as giving a barrell rolling shotty a face full of retro lancer and then finishing with a curb stomp :D.

Not sure what you got -4000 points for tho, most I've had is -10 for suiciding with an incendiary grenade.

I was hoping they will make proper game with cover. Where you need to cover to survive. In this game taking a cover is actuolly a suicide as it limits your movement and puts your arse on a silver platter to barrelrollers. If I see someone using lancer and cover I just can say without checking that they are level 1 newbies... Damn poor naive bastords :(

Advertisement