Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning & Lubricating suggestions ?

• 13-04-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Right, it's the time of the year when people like me are gonna be on the road more often and bikes are being woken from their winter hibernation.
    To those of you brave 365-day people, can you pass on your experience of the best products to clean, lubricate and protect your machines ?

Shampoo
    Polish
    Rust inhibitor
    Chain Lube
    Tyre care

You can expand into maintenance-like suggestions
    Brake fluid
    Engine Oil
    Brake Pads

Your favourite shops online or B&M for the above would be much appreciated also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Shampoo: for fairings..I take them off wet them with a cloth (not rough) and then spray "muc off" on them - I buy the cheaper bicycle variant and as far as I can see its the same stuff just cheaper - leave for a couple of minutes - then wipe off with a clean wet cloth until all of the "muc off" is gone
    this leaves it quite clean but very dull looking

Polish: most polishing waxes are fine , turtle wax, auto glym etc (im using some cheapo one that seems as good as any Ive used) use toweling bonnet on electric polisher to apply a small amount then buff off with a fine bonnet - sit back admire mirror like finish. - and sort of an unusual one this but I use Simoniz wet look tyre shine to clean all the hard stuck on grot/oil/lumps of balled up rubber from wheel rims and exhaust undertrays etc - its not for this but its a great cleaner- dissolves the worst of stuff and doesnt seem to affect paintwork for the last three years I've been using it.

Rust inhibitor: WD 40 in areas where water can settle - lithium grease (white) on moving parts/joints (things like brake lever pivot pins etc) + small dabs on vaseline on exposed electrical wiring to repel water

Chain Lube: regular applications Plutoline O-Ring chain lube.....wont be doing this much longer though as I'm going to fit scott-oiler to all my bikes over the course of the next couple of months or this winter.

Tyre care: They never last long enough for me to take care of them all that much but saw a product like "slime" (but better) at the bike show you can spray into tubeless that will fix a puncture (plug the hole) at pretty high speeds I'm going to get next time a get a set of new rubber for peace of mind (sort of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Don't do anything fancy cleaning wise. Use my bike daily all year around, find the scoutoiler godsend and clean the again once a month with castrol chain cleaner. Use acf50 rather than wd40 to prevent corrosion. Prefer to be out riding my bike rather than having it looking amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I've a 22-year-old CB-1 400 that only gets fairly infrequent use; what would people recommend for the chain? What are the pros and cons of wax vs. standard vs. PTFE dry lubes? (these things were much simpler back when I were a lad... :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Seems like a good thread. Any recommendations for the front forks, cleaning an maintaining them. My seals have gone twice in a year now and I'm wondering if its something I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Instead of a Scottoiler, I'm gona buy a Loobman and see how it goes. Can't go wrong at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Seems like a good thread. Any recommendations for the front forks, cleaning an maintaining them. My seals have gone twice in a year now and I'm wondering if its something I'm doing.
    Have you checked the fork legs for rust or pitting? Those are usually seal killers, other things to check are your fork oil height if there is too much in them they will blow seals very rapidly as they compress.
    Its worth having a look at the bushes when the seals come out as well to make sure they aren't badly worn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Vulcanet is new stuff, supposed to be very good.

I use Castrol racing chain lube.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you checked the fork legs for rust or pitting? Those are usually seal killers, other things to check are your fork oil height if there is too much in them they will blow seals very rapidly as they compress.
    Its worth having a look at the bushes when the seals come out as well to make sure they aren't badly worn.

There is some rust on the last inch of travel on the forks. Any easy way to fix this?

There is some rust on the last inch of travel on the forks. Any easy way to fix this?

Not really apart from new legs. You could try using very fine steel wool, 000 or 0000 and see if you can remove the worst of it but if there is pitting from the rust thats it.
    New stanchions are not too bad usually, what bike is it?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not really apart from new legs. You could try using very fine steel wool, 000 or 0000 and see if you can remove the worst of it but if there is pitting from the rust thats it.
    New stanchions are not too bad usually, what bike is it?

Er-6n. I have gone at it with some ultra fine sandpaper, rust comes off. There are slight divots on the forks nothing more then a mil wide at the biggest. I'm assuming thats where the rust came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Pique wrote: »
    Instead of a Scottoiler, I'm gona buy a Loobman and see how it goes. Can't go wrong at that price.
    +1. Made for a lazy SOB like me. Seems to get pretty good reviews, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

peckerhead wrote: »
    +1. Made for a lazy SOB like me. Seems to get pretty good reviews, too.

an other one to consider

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

Er-6n. I have gone at it with some ultra fine sandpaper, rust comes off. There are slight divots on the forks nothing more then a mil wide at the biggest. I'm assuming thats where the rust came from.
    Yep stones make little dents in the legs and the pits hold water and start to rust.
    You can try refitting new seals and see how you go, if they still leak give them a really good cleaning/degreasing and try a tiny dab of epoxy on the pits only just enough to fill it not overfull.
    Once that hardens sand it down flush with an inch wide strip of >1200 paper, this sometimes is enough to save the legs.
    Failing that you can get new ones for not too much money I am sure.
    You can make a chain oiler from some aquarium tube two taps and some copper wire to stiffen the tube. a small bottle to hold the oil and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

http://harley.ie/news.pl?id=49

I'm going here to get my bike washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Pique wrote: »
    Right, it's the time of the year when people like me are gonna be on the road more often and bikes are being woken from their winter hibernation.
    To those of you brave 365-day people, can you pass on your experience of the best products to clean, lubricate and protect your machines ?

Shampoo
    Polish
    Rust inhibitor
    Chain Lube
    Tyre care

You can expand into maintenance-like suggestions
    Brake fluid
    Engine Oil
    Brake Pads

Your favourite shops online or B&M for the above would be much appreciated also.

If yer stuck for cash ye cant beat MR Sheen or something similiar. I used to drive me ma potty robbing her polish years ago....

Advertisement