Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sofa restoration..

• 13-04-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

stoney broke, but want to breath some new life into my sofas to try get a few more years out of them. Its a standard enough Cream leather 3+2 seater the cushions have sunk badly, and the leather needs a clean but they're in ok nick otherwise. The cushions cant be removed, so with a bit of investigation (i cut open the underside :o ) i found a zip for the seat cushions. Its above elastic banding holding the cushions up. A bit more investigation and it seems that theres four or five bolts that if I remove I should be able to pull the couch into two parts ( the back and the seats ) I'd then have access to all cushions zips.

so where to from here? anyone done this previously? Should I fully replace the foam, or try top it up with a new layer of something? how tricky is the dissasembling and reassembly? wheres the cheapest place to get replacement foam, whats the best foam to use?

All help and advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

There are places in Capel Street where I used to buy foam several years ago, cant say if they are there now: it was all cash, up near the Bolton Street end

Is it the foam or the banding that has sagged?

the webbing could be replaced with stiffer webbing to create the illusion of the foam being done perhaps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its the foam, the banding seems quite solid underneath (its the elastic stuff). Im based down in Limerick. Found someone selling some foam on adverts, so might see about going with that.

know if I need to fully remove existing foam, or try build on top of it with new stuff?

Advertisement